If your horse stood like this (lame)

JillA

Visit site
I'm sorry but aside from the bute issue (and I have had a vet who used injectable bute to make a horse more comfortable) I profoundly disagree with leaving an abcess to find it's own way out.
Apart from the pain (how many of you would fail to seek pain releif and physiological relief from a blood blister under a nail? - if you can answer yes, I still don't think it is ethical to make that choice on behalf of a horse) there have been recorded instances of a tracking abcess damaging the pedal bone and other structures in the foot. I can't find the information right now but I have read it in the past.
I went through a period of having a sequence of abcesses in my home bred youngstock (sandly soil and a not too brilliant white line) and in every case the track was found, pressure relieved and pus exited. We never had any secondary infection because of the poultice, vet rap and subsequent plug, but what we did have was almost isntant relief from the acute pain and 10/10 lameness. Of course, it depends on you having a good farrier, but then again, if your farrier isn't good what is he doing messing with your horse's feet?
Your opinion is your opinion, but I am entitled to mine, the more so as it is based on fairly extensive experience

AmyMay

Situation normal
Visit site
It really does depend on the severity of the abcess though Jill.

I'm very much of the opinion that you poultice and hot tub first - and turn out with a very well wrapped foot. If after a week there is no improvement that's when the farrier or vet is involved.

Luckily my opinion is based on occasional experience, rather than extensive - as my horses tend not to get abcesses.

Meowy Catkin

Meow!
Visit site
Jill - I can assure you that I have a very good farrier now. Sadly I see so many horses with sub standard shoeing and poorly balanced hooves (so much so, that it is considered normal). Now that I understand more, my now educated eyes are very disheartened by the FRC. But that is another matter.

Going back to abscesses. In a healthy hoof with a tight white line, I would expect the horse to go from 'something's not quite right' to bursting at the coronet very quickly (24 - 48 hours). If it is taking longer then I fully agree with getting it looked at.

I was quite upset by your 'people who leave abscesses to burst are cruel' statement. It is not true. What on earth were you imagining? Horses hopping around their fields/stables for weeks while the owner turns a blind eye? Honestly?

In the past I have tried tubbing, poulticing etc but the fact remains that the abscesses that burst on their own (quickly) were over quicker and you don't have a great big hole in the sole causing discomfort for days afterwards.

No abscess that solves in 48 hours is going to damage the pedal bone.

How long are some abscesses dragging on? Are they moving sideways around the white line rather than going upwards? This certainly indicates that the hooves are not healthy.

I do understand that when we see a lame horse, we want it fixed now and that it is hard to hold fire.

Another thing - i never box rest for abscesses as the movement (at the horse's own pace) encourages it to pop quickly.

RunToEarth

Visit site
I agree with what Ester has said and about it being personal.

I view abcesses in the same was as I do spots in relatively simple terms. If an abcess is deep or not particularly promenant we have always poulticed, hot tubbed and wrapped up well. Digging a deep abcess when no one can locate it exactly I would agrue was more cruel than leaving it well well wrapped. In my (thankfully limited expereince) with abcesses they will either find their own way out relatively quickly, or they will fill to the extent that it is sensible to dig out with confidence that you can locate it and exit pus. I would also agree that bute/antibiotics are contra-indicated.

Meowy Catkin

Meow!
Visit site
Digging a deep abcess when no one can locate it exactly I would agrue was more cruel than leaving it well well wrapped.

Thanks so much for writing that, you've said what I struggled to say.

It's also exactly what the Vet and Farrier felt with that particular abscess. As the was no response from the hoof testers and no clue from looking at the white line, they couldn't locate it at all. It was the first one that wasn't dug out (that I've known on my horses or other people's horses) and I was beside myself with worry. It popped later that day and the horse was immediately sound.

Marydoll

Visit site
I think it looks like an abcess, but until youve waited on the abcess bursting or being drained you wont know if its anything else unless you get an x ray, which is a bit ott if it turns out to be an abcess. Have a good farrier out to check it out and treat, if no change in 48 hrs vet again and id be wanting x rays at this point

ladyt25

Visit site
Any news yet? My pony - who has some ridiculously high pain threshold I think - went like this on a hind leg. Found him in the field, seemingly completely unphased and still munching grass but with his leg held up. I thought he must have broken something as hr wouldn't stand on it at all. Got vet out who is very good, he diagnosed a deep abscess, dug it out and gave a shot of penicillin and course of abs. Sorted the abscess although we discovered he was allergic to penicillin which we weren't aware of!!! Once he'd recovered from the penicillin reaction there was no way he was going to eat the abs no matter how we disguised them so we gave up on that!! :)

putasocinit

Visit site
Vet should have pared under sole looking for the abscess once found can burst and reduce pain almost immediately, get farrier to trace a track and poultice, then fire the vet and get another.

Pinkvboots

Visit site
Agree get your farrier to have a look he can hoof test and dig a hole if need be, sometimes if you push down on the sole it will feel softer and give a little to pressure if there is an abcess somewhere, hot tubbing will help draw it out or soak in soda crystals its good for bruising.

smellsofhorse

Visit site
I would think puss in foot.

The sudden extrem lameness and the toe pointing is typical of puss.

They don't always show signs with hoof testers.
It can ve higher up, in the hoof.

KSR

Visit site
His poultice looked suspicious but nothing shouting out as burst, unless just oozing..

I've stuck a dry one on after tubbing and cleaning to reassess..

Horse no worse but managed to canter away from JH and her fly spray enthusiastically..

My farrier is due anytime now and I'll be back with the horse tonight..

(the things we do for our friends, lol)

Marydoll

Visit site
His poultice looked suspicious but nothing shouting out as burst, unless just oozing..

I've stuck a dry one on after tubbing and cleaning to reassess..

Horse no worse but managed to canter away from JH and her fly spray enthusiastically..

My farrier is due anytime now and I'll be back with the horse tonight..

(the things we do for our friends, lol)

How is the horse doing now ?

MagicMelon

Visit site
I'm not a vet but it looks like an abscess brewing.My horse is prone to them and he goes from sound to broken leg lame in hours..

Same as one of mine, I actually think he has one brewing as we speak so waiting until morning to see (as he can be prone to bruised soles too which make him pretty lame). I'd poultice and see how he is.

Ranyhyn

Visit site
Sounds exactly like my mare 2 years ago.

My vet ;) dug, found nothing. My farrier too. So we started looking at other possible things. After months of thinking she was totally screwed my barefoot podiatrist saw her and said no way, abscess.

He was/is of the opinion that unless you know catergorically where the abscess is, digging is totally counterproductive as you could well just be creating a bigger crater to fill with gunk etc.

Tubbed and poulticed for 5 days and the ****** blew out of 3 places.

Now I have a totally sound horse ;) that one vet even told me to "give 3 weeks and put it down if it doesn't come right"... :)

Marydoll

Visit site
Sounds exactly like my mare 2 years ago.

My vet ;) dug, found nothing. My farrier too. So we started looking at other possible things. After months of thinking she was totally screwed my barefoot podiatrist saw her and said no way, abscess.

He was/is of the opinion that unless you know catergorically where the abscess is, digging is totally counterproductive as you could well just be creating a bigger crater to fill with gunk etc.

Tubbed and poulticed for 5 days and the ****** blew out of 3 places.

Now I have a totally sound horse ;) that one vet even told me to "give 3 weeks and put it down if it doesn't come right"... :)

That last sentance is bloomin scary :eek:

ester

Not slacking multitasking
Visit site
F will happily stand with both of his front feet in buckets of milton for a good quarter of an hour... he uses it as an excuse for a nap ;). He did move today but took the bucket with him :D

Ancient Hacker

Visit site
How do you get the horse to keep the hoof in a bucket for 20 minutes?? :confused: Mine would just kick it over.

Likewise, which is unfortunate; my one that needs tubbing will not countenance it! I wonder if there are some special tips? I can't even get him to tub while eating, and normally a bomb could go off without distracting his snout from the trough :rolleyes:

Cinnamontoast

Fais pas chier!
Visit site
It would just freak mine out, he's a bit odd with his feet, needs sedating for his legs to be clipped but not the rest of him. Funny little boy. :)

Nugget La Poneh

Visit site
The only way I have managed tubbing with mine is with those boots that look like wellies that you fill with water and strap tightish either below or above the 'knee' joint depending on the issue.

Hope the abcess sorts itself out - I know how frustrating they can be! Old mare has been on death row at least twice as the vet was determined her hopping lameness was either acute navicular or a broken pedal bone :eek: and both times was a thorn in the sole and subsequent abcess!

windand rain

Visit site
Friends horse was sent to horspital to be put down if she had laminitis did and xray and she had black pockets of pus in both front feet she lived another ten years with never a trouble once the vet drained them she was on both antibiotics and bute to prevent bone infections in the pedal bone So I guess it depends on how bad and who makes the decision

KSR

Visit site
It's all pretty terrifying..

I lost one a year ago Wednesday to a seroma under P3 that wouldn't heal.. I got especially good at feet and poulticing etc..

As for Henry, he is a thousand times better today..

Weight bearing much better, walking quite evenly although still obviously sore..

See how it goes over the next day or so.. Farrier is happy to come out if need be but suggested I just keep poulticing for another couple days..

jhoward

Demon exorcist...
Visit site
I think ksr has stolen my needy...theres a pic of dobky chops on fb ct..have to be so care full with the bucket of water ...lol he's a swine for picking it up and emptying it :D

Not to keen on farrier yet as there is a small hole where he's taken a chunk out of hoof and I want to see if my trimmer will come up to him. There's no soft areas on heel or coronet as if yet and he is off his toe...but still hopping lame