If your horse takes a 6ft3 rug, how tall is he/she?

horsemad32

Visit site
Just wondering! It's in relation to a youngster of unknown breeding. We're wondering what sort of height he'll make!

dizz4

Visit site
Just wondering! It's in relation to a youngster of unknown breeding. We're wondering what sort of height he'll make!

Hi there, just to add to the conversation, I have a 15 hand Welsh Cob and he takes a 6ft 3 rug easily, sometimes they even look a little short on the bottom.... Welsh Cobs have very big fronts and need bigger rugs....

Dizzleton

Visit site
Rug sizing doesn't really go by height. It goes by length of the horses' body.

A horse with a short back will inevitably have smaller rugs, whereas a horse with a longer back will have bigger rugs.

My horse for example:

17hh Belgian WB takes 6'6'' / 6'9'' rugs as he's very short coupled. Whereas another mare on my yard of the same height but of different breeding takes 7' / 7'3''

Again, the 15.1 horse we have on the yard take 6'6'' rugs.

If you want to guesstimate what height your horse will make, do the string test.

gingernut81

Visit site
My chap is 14.2 and in a 6'3 but some he could possibly get up to a 6'6!

ETS: his rugs also fit the other horses on the yard - 16.2 TB and 16.3ish warmblood type youngster.

lula

Visit site
16.2hh !

TB x PRE but quite narrow through her shoulders so this is perhaps why she's quite tall but takes a 6.3' rug

miss_c

Visit site
To give you an idea of the 15hh in a 6'3 that I mentioned...

1966837_980503248480_900605014_n.jpg

She has a very wide chest and rather large shoulders - I cannot use some makes of rug as they are just too narrow for her.

MiJodsR2BlinkinTite

Slopping along on a loose rein somewhere in Devon
Visit site
My two both take a 6'3":-

Mare, Welsh D (fine type not chunky), 14.3hh. Tho' TBH she would take a 6'0 and it wouldn't look too big on her. She's longer in the body so a 6'3" doesn't in fact look too big on her. Mainly wears Weatherbeeta rugs for winter turnout plus at the mo is wearing a Premier Equine fly sheet (with neck bit) in 6'3" and its a good fit.

Traddie cob: 15.1hh and built like a tank. Shorter in the body than mare, and a 6'3" fits him fine. Wears a Rambo Sweet Itch hoody in 6'3" which is just right for him. Ditto his Weatherbeeta turnout rugs.

Think it largely depends on the type of rug you've got.

Merrymoles

Visit site
15.1hh Irish cob in 6'6" - 6'3" slightly too short and 6'6" slightly too big but I'd always rather have too large than too small. He's not massively chunky either, although lots of bone and round hindquarters. But 6'3" would certainly do if didn't have larger ones.
ETA all rugs are Shires or Amigo which I think are quite generous generally