If your slightly nervy rider would you mention it when ringing up...

silverstar

Visit site
about horses?

I havent really and I feel a really rubbish rider when I get on and its obvious Im overhorsed when I ride. Im not nervous if I know the horse wont do anything but if a horse runs off with me and I cant stop it Im not confident then.

Also is it worth placing a wanted ad on horsemart or horsequest?

Lurky McLurker

Visit site
I am quite nervous on horses other than my own, and I'd definitely let a seller know when I rang up about trying their horse. If the horse isn't suitable for a nervous rider, I'd rather be told over the phone than make a wasted journey to see it.

Meandtheboys

Visit site
I know the perfect horse that certainly would never bolt - she is too lazy and laid back!!

Infact she loves to walk..................despite being Trakner x Arab

Paint Me Proud

Visit site
i would definately mention it when you phone as the owner (if honest) will let you know if they think their horse will be too much for you and will save you the trip.

zoelouisem

Visit site
I definatly think it is worth it, some horses will take the pee out of a nervous rider and it can waste your time if you dont be honest with your abilites. It can take a while to get o know a horse and if your nervy all that time some horse will totally take the mick and complety ruin any confidance you have!! There supposed to be fun theres no point getting something your going to be scared off. :)

orionstar

Visit site
You could say that your an experienced but not confident rider and ask whether the horse would be suitable for someone like that. I once fell off a horse that I went to see whilst jumping as it was alot greener and younger than they had stated on the phone. Felt like a complete idiot and was alot more cautious when trying the next one and that turned out to be a riding club horse just 4 weeks out of racing (couldnt work that one out). But mentioning it might save you alot of time going to see horses that were unsuitable.

Spudlet

Visit site
Yes, I would have a good chat with the owner about what you are looking for and what it is that makes you nervous before you decide whether to go and see the horse or not. Is it a horse that jogs,for example, that would make you nervous, a horse that seems spooky - or is it riding new horses in front of strangers (all perfectly valid reasons for being a bit nervous!)?

There will be one out there for you:)

Javabb94

Visit site
when we rang up about my horse,

my mum told the person that I can be nervous and she totally understood and was very calming when i got there, she rode java first before i did, then before i jumped him she did and i could see what he was like and it totally relaxed me

all the other horse i had tried i rode first and its the not knowing what they are like that made me nervous as most of the horses i tried in the add said very safe allrounder or suitable for nervous rider or a safe horse for a more experienced rider but when i got there most didnt fit that description

MM&PP

Visit site
Yes I def would. If someone rung me up about my horse and said that I would truthfully chat about suitability :) I would prefer that than the rider tensing and not getting the best out of the horse.

I think advertising on horsequest/mart is a good idea. My friend did as she wanted somthing similar. Someone contacted her with a horse they had bought for their daughter to BSJA but said horse lost face at much more than 1m. She ended up buying him and he's been fantastic!

Good luck.

MrsHutt

Visit site
Most definitely, be honest. When I was phoning about horses I was totally honest and said I had been frightened by a fall and my confidence was knocked. I stressed I was a novice too and was their horse suitable? Everyone, I think, appreciated my honesty and was truthful in return, I'm sure. One or two even said not to come, they weren't suitable. I always asked to see the horse ridden by them first, and my 'knowledgeable friend' before I got on.

I don't suppose a seller would want to waste their time (however much they want to sell the horse) if they knew you really were not in the market.

silverstar

Visit site
Im not nervous if a horse jogs or spooks. Its bolting, running off, bucking, rearing etc that makes me nervous but I will mention it when ringing. I prefer horses that are forward going but not stupidly forward without brakes.

Last edited:

Dexydoodle

Visit site
Sorry bit of a long one but hope it makes sense!

I lost my confidence on the 2nd share horse I had to the point of being within weeks of giving up riding completely. He wasn't nasty, just far too forward going and silly out hacking for me (note to self - beware a 21 year old TB, just because they're 21 doesn't mean they're sensible!). Rode my first share horse for a couple of months again after that and got a fair bit of my confidence back. But, any time I sat on a horse I didn't know I got really really nervous, and actually ended up being led out on a hack round a farm where my friend kept her horse as I was so nervous after he spooked.

Just bought my first horse 3 months ago and I was totally honest about my nerves - basically I haven't got a problem with spooking, its the reaction after - the horse that wrecked my confidence would get himself more and more wound up and would jog/ throw his head around/ speed off etc which made me nervous which made him worse etc etc. Whereas the first share I had would spook, you'd do a 'come on you plonker get on with it' and he'd be fine and carry on. And most of the time I ended up laughing at his spooks cos they were so ridiculous! So just had a chat with people about that and had a couple say their's weren't suitable but saw a few and then found my girl.

Like another poster has said, I took a friend (the girl who owns the first horse I had on share and knows the type of horses I get on with/ what I can cope with etc etc) and got the horse owner to ride first, then my friend rode, and then I got on. Seeing someone I know and trusted ride, gave me a lot of confidence, as if the horse wasn't suitable and would have been too much for me, I knew she'd tell me the truth.

Good luck!

Chestnutmare

Visit site
Most definately tell the truth over the phone when they ask about you or you mention anyway...

I have spoken to a few people about their horses now and I am always honest about my abilities etc...earlier I spoke to a lady with a gorgeous looking welshie but she was honest about him and said that he likes to leap and buck - out of excitement...so I said OK thank you but no thank you and I think she appreciated that...you have to be honest as you wouldn't want to injure yourself or horse due to being too nervous or whatever and not being able to handle the situation...

The right horse will be out there for you it is just a game of patience really.

Good luck in finding the right one....

MagicMelon

Visit site
Im not nervous if I know the horse wont do anything but if a horse runs off with me and I cant stop it Im not confident then.

Aren't we all though? I'm fine on horses I know but of course if a horse ran off with me I may feel a tad nervous as would any normal human being! I get anxious riding a new horse for the first time because its the unknown, I'm pretty sure most people are the same. There's nothing more terrifying than having the owners of the horse standing there watching you as well - I hate this feeling so much, when I'm selling a horse I will always stay for the first 10/15 mins when someone is riding my horse to check all is well and then will ask if they want to be left for a little while to play on their own, most love that as they can relax a bit and chat to their trainer / parent etc. I stick around - I'm always within view but pretend to muck out a nearby paddock or something!

I think its worth putting out a wanted advert definately. I've had success in the past.

soulfull

Visit site
Im not nervous if a horse jogs or spooks. Its bolting, running off, bucking, rearing etc that makes me nervous but I will mention it when ringing. I prefer horses that are forward going but not stupidly forward without brakes.

As MM said nearly all of us would be nervous of a new horse that did any of those things. i would mention it as some sellers will be honest with you. However there are sellers who will not admit their horse rears or bolts (even if it does) as that is probably the reason they are selling it.

Yes you get some who will advertise as for an confident/experienced rider only, which I presume you would be interested in but others won't tell you.

Which is why I always get owner to ride first and watch if they are overly quiet riding I will even ask them to come in front and behind the vertical wobble hands, move their legs around a bit etc to see horses reaction. I know that is not overly kind to the horse but hey I need to know horse won't panic and bolt if I do get it wrong

measles

Visit site
all the other horse i had tried i rode first and its the not knowing what they are like that made me nervous as most of the horses i tried in the add said very safe allrounder or suitable for nervous rider or a safe horse for a more experienced rider but when i got there most didnt fit that description

It would strongly advise never to ride a horse when you go to view without seeing him ridden first unless you are a very experienced rider who is prepared to accept any consequence. Always see the horse ridden first and ask if someone will be available to ride him when you are making the arrangements to view.

ISHmad

Visit site
Yes I would definitely mention it. There are lots of very good riders who are not confident and many good horses out there for them. Much better that you are upfront and they can say whether or not their horse would be good with a nervous rider on board or not.

One of our horses in particular is a saint with a nervous rider on board. Another one would lose the plot completely and I dread to think what might happen.

Hope you find your perfect horse soon, good luck with the search.

Dylasau Stud

New User
Visit site
about horses?

I havent really and I feel a really rubbish rider when I get on and its obvious Im overhorsed when I ride. Im not nervous if I know the horse wont do anything but if a horse runs off with me and I cant stop it Im not confident then.

Simple - ALWAYS BE HONEST.

Pony_Puzz

Visit site
I did when looking for horses however most just told me I wouldn't be suitable without hearing that I'm actually experienced, just very nervous at times. Especially doing things such as hacking, shows and then jumping.
Ended up viewing this "200% in traffic" horse who proceeded to bolt off down the track with me, which knocked my confidence on the road further. You can never be 100% sure the horse will suit you so you just have to be sure. I hope you find something suitable for you, took me over a year and a half to find something but don't go for any horse just because you feel you have to rush :)

Booboos

Visit site
Just a different perspective...I would ask the seller "What kind of rider is the horse suitable for?" and wait and see what they said. If they said all the right things, I would then mention my abilities. I would then get a friend to call and pretend to want a totally opposite horse, e.g. if you want a calm, confidence giver and are willing to accept a bit of a plod, the friend would ask for a forward going, fun ride and see what the owner said. It's surprising how many people will tell you fibs as long as it is what they think you want to hear.

moiragedge

Visit site
Why dont you take a Neck strap (can be a stirrup leather) with you to put on so you have the extra security to grab that if necessary took it with me and said to owners not a reflection on them but would be happier with one in case, nobody seemed to mind and gave me that extra bit of confidence.