If you've bought a new horse this year....

kissing ponies

• Total voters

Happytohack

Visit site
After reading lots of post on here about how some of us have bought horses recently and been either thrilled, not so happy, disappointed etc., thought this might be interesting.

Happytohack

Visit site
I bought a new happy hacker a couple of months ago and I still can't believe how perfect she is for me. so I am one of the lucky ones!

SSM

Visit site
Think most of you know I lost StinkerStonker in February - so to get my hands on the StonkeyDonkey - her pure sister is amazing!! She is nothing like her big sister, smaller, lighter build and sooooooooooooooo lazy - but oh so loved!!!!

grey_gelding

Visit site
Only picked mine up on wednesday alst week so i'm going to hold out on if she is the right one. That I won't know till I back her in a year or so. However in a week she has changed heaps. She has gone from jumping out of her stable to being happy to stand in there ane munch her hay at night. Lets just hope this behaviour carries on!!!

JACQSZOO

Visit site
Its nearly a year ago since I sold Tallagh the grey mare that totally destroyed my confidence and bought Georige - a then 5 yr old 16hh ISH - cataracts in one eye and a wopping great curb and very very poor. Everyone but everyone told me to walk away from him. I am so glad I didnt listen. Hes 6 now 16.3hh and weighs 680kgs and is an angel. He is restoring my confidence and we have so much too look forward to together. Nothing fazes him. He is my 6yr old, old man. I'm convinced he's been there done it all in a previous life. He is so loving and gentle. O I could go on for hours about how wonderful he is. And all the people that told me to walk away from him? Well now they all adore him and want him for themselves. Not a chance!

Lucy_Ally

Visit site
I bought Springy back in February from a forum member and she certainly didn't sugar-coat or hard-sell to me!! I was told every little annoying habit she had and all about her stroppiness! I still bought her though, and while we still have stroppy moments she has turned out much better than I had hoped.
smile.gif

ladylisa

Visit site
I took a chance and said yes i would have her on my first visit to see her as someone else was on there way to view and i didnt want to miss out, so glad i did as its been nearly 6 months and i love her to bits!

kerrylou123

Visit site
i was given one of my horses in Feb this year, mainly because she was an ex race horse, and the owner couldn't cope or afford her anymore, but since i've had her, she's come on leaps and bounds, and yes, she's more than i could ever wanted, especially was i only really wanted her as a hack so me and my boyfriend could go out together!

Kelly1982

Visit site
I brought my new horse at the end of July and we have had our ups and downs to say the least. She is perfect one minute and we are battling the next. At the moment we are going thorugh a battling stage (cant wait for my instructor to get better so i can have a lesson).

I still love her to bits though and i know when she is older and stops having babyish tantrums that she will be perfect.

Mellymoo1

Visit site
I bought my horse in May after a 15 year break from riding, bought him totally blind, I didnt take anyone knowledgable with me to view him. I was extremely lucky that I bought a true gentleman, I could have so easily have ended up with something completely wrong!

We've had ups and downs, but every day I think how lucky I am to have him. Hes such a big gentle giant, and has a really cheeky character and I'll be keeping him for life!

brighteyes

Pooh-Bah
Visit site
Hated my daughter's pony on sight. Total carthorse and moved like it should have been pulling a milk float. Clumpy, ugly thing.

She is the nicest, quality, easy, safe, pretty and genuine mare you could wish for. Easy to do everything with, and her stable is a delight to muck out. I LOVE this pony.

And now I have got my eye in, she isn't a shire-cross at all. Plus she even wins things!

http://i103.photobucket.com/albums/m134/gillygunson/MerryPCHT.jpg

Agent XXX999

Visit site
I bought two horses in a month – one was described as a grade B showjumper with mild navicular…which we were happy taking on - and it wasn’t till we clipped him we discovered his loss of use, which had been done the day before we picked him up! After a battle, legal action being threatened blah blah blah we managed to talk to his vet who told us he would be fine so long as we managed it, but he wouldn’t really be up to jumping the BSJA tracks she said he would – especially since he hasn’t won a penny! He is still with us for the time being – he is a gentle giant and my OH is riding him a lot (so we will see how it goes) but we still might have to see about the legal bit as the police and my lawyer think we have a good case for obtaining funds by deception and also fraud… even though we love him he still might have to go back, but hopefully it will just be a percentage of my money that returns!
Coincidentally, a horse on the yard which I loved (and actually offered to buy before I found the other one but she said no because she didn’t want to sell him) came up for sale whilst I was going through the stuff with the other one, and after smiling sweetly at OH we decided that it was an opportunity far too good to miss…and so Bruce joined the family (OH cringed a bit!). He has a lot of potential for me to work with – and, like Georgie – is an old man in a 6yolds body. He is my dream horse!
So to be honest – it is a bit of Russian Roulette I think, but I have learnt my lesson – people are not always as genuine as they seem!

loopeepee

Visit site
I didnt buy, but was given my horse on loan a week and a bit ago. So far, so good, and he has given 95% to his work. Bit of a culture shock for his seeing as he was used to living in a field for 2 months. However, he has settled well, is thriving on work and is loving being looked after again!
As long as it hunts well, and keeps me safe then yes, he is everything I wanted and more.

Clodagh

Visit site
Like horsegirl, no option for me. New ned (bought in March) actually coming on really well but taking longer to settle to hunting than I hoped.
On the other hand, shes just 5 and has done absolutely nothing before so I am asking a lot!
cool.gif

Love her, though, and I feel so safe on her, even when shes having a moment.
tongue.gif

eahotson

Visit site
I have only had mine about 3 months. Have not ridden much due to holidays and new school being installed. Bit spooky occasionaly but thats the worst thing. I like him and I think he likes me.

TigerLilly

Visit site
My youngster lilly is perfect in every way but had to sell my mare as we were not for each other And i have just brought a Tbx dutch Wb and hes a gentle giant its as if we have been together for ever
smile.gif

Henmen

Visit site
Shes not quite what i wanted, but now i wouldn't change her for the world, no amount of money would make me sell her, she is sweet and very cuddly, very intelligent, and very willing to learn,
I am thrilled and honored to have her

Leg_end

Visit site
I bought my new lad at the end of Jan and i am super duper thrilled with him!! He's a total star and i did take a bit of a risk as hes an ex-racer and was in extremely poor condition when i bought him but although he has occassional cheeky youngster moments they are never anything sinister and hes come on so much and looks amazing - hes really growing into himself now!

Sorry... have clearly gone on a rant!!
wink.gif

4whitesocks

Visit site
Bought Sid in April....(didn't want to...turned my back & walked out of the stable when I saw him because in my head I wanted something more ID 'looking' and bigger (am 6ft)...

After two previous bad choices I never really set myself a standard of what I wanted to achieve with him - bought him for his nature & his willingness.....

We have our moments but every day is a challenge with him and every time I get up to ride him there's something we achieve together....he's green and I'm green too which a lot of people say is a terrible combination but it works for us. I completely and utterly trust him (which is amazing as my last horse dumped me at every available opportunity).

It turns I have accidentally bought a horse who has potential to event.....who knew!!!

mrdarcy

www.rockcrunchers.co.uk
I've had Ingrato three weeks and so far, touch wood, he's been fantastic. We're still getting to know each other but he's a lovely little person, very honest and wants to please. Started hacking him out in earnest this week and he hasn't batted an eyelid at anything... even given my friend's much older and more experienced gelding leads past things. So I'm more than happy with him
smile.gif

Faithkat

Visit site
You haven't got a category which applies to me/mine. She's not what I thought and I am very disappointed as it is proving impossible to bond with her. She doesn't like me/ doesn't interact at all with me and the only reason she's staying at the moment is because I decided to breed from her and she's infoal but we'll wait and see what she has . . .

Nickymac

Visit site
I bought the taller, lankier version of the Short Fat One last year and he was backed and turned away until March, so I didn't really get to know him until this year. He's bigger in every way than the SFO, and has done everything I've asked of him with huge enthusiasm and confidence. It'll be interesting to see if he turns out as well as the SFO long-term, but he's certainly been the most straightforward (and entertaining!) 4 year old I've ever sat on.

Parkranger

Visit site
Ha where do I start! Brought my boy in July, found out he was blind in one eye in September! What a palava.

He's a great horse though, loves life, loves galloping around and has a great temperment (if a little sharp at times).

Wouldn't change him for the world - even though he costs a bloody fortune in supplments, haylage and physio appointments! x