Ifor HB401R weight? Is this correct?

cabbagepatch88

Visit site
Hi all,

I recently decided to buy myself a single ifor williams trailer and found a second had one at a reasonable price. It's an older one, a 1997 model. I went to see it and checked it all over, really smart, so got it home yesterday.

Before I bought it, when researched ifor williams single trailers it said on all the details I could find that the unladen weight was 770kg and the MAM was 1600kg
I've just noticed on the plating on mine that it says it's a Hb401R - what difference does the R make?!
Also, the weights on it are 1600kg and 935kg - is 935kg the unladen weight?! I know it's older and got a wooden floor but surely it can't be THAT heavy?!

Sam

popsdosh

Visit site
I may be wrong but off the top of my head the only difference between the 401 and 401R is the front ramp being on the right hand side. Yes the wooden floor and other changes in materials really cold add up to that difference in unladen weight.

holeymoley

Visit site
Wooden floors can be heavier. My new one is definetly 770kg or so unladen, but my friend has an older one - it's got the hunter sticker and did have a wooden floor but I'm sure hers is still around 770kg too. If you're worried about weights unfortunately you will need to go with what's stamped on it unless you get a new plate made.

cabbagepatch88

Visit site
Hi Rog,

Initially I was hoping so yes :(
However having swatted up on the*laws with gvw and mam and this trailer being monstrously heavy, I don't think I will manage it :(
So am going to bite the bullet and do my trailer test.
I wanted to pick your brains ROG, do you think a 2.0ltr mondeo estate with 1800kg towing capacity would be alright to tow my trailer?

ROG

Visit site
Hi Rog,

Initially I was hoping so yes :(
However having swatted up on the*laws with gvw and mam and this trailer being monstrously heavy, I don't think I will manage it :(
So am going to bite the bullet and do my trailer test.
I wanted to pick your brains ROG, do you think a 2.0ltr mondeo estate with 1800kg towing capacity would be alright to tow my trailer?
Yes is the simple answer

As the mondeo GVW is about 2200 then the trailer MAM would need to be down plated to 1300 and if it is 935 empty that would only leave 365 for the trailer load/horse

You need a Bateson Derby at 675 empty so down plated from 1700 to 1300 would leave 625 for the trailer load

cabbagepatch88

Visit site
But you think a mondeo estate would be ok to pull my current trailer providing I had b and e licence?

Also just a quick question - I also noticed its legal for someone with a pre 1997 licence to supervise providing you use L plates and you have correct insurance. Insurance wise, do you have to notify the company that you are towing or or do you mean a separate policy?

Thank you :)

ROG

Visit site
But you think a mondeo estate would be ok to pull my current trailer providing I had b and e licence?

Also just a quick question - I also noticed its legal for someone with a pre 1997 licence to supervise providing you use L plates and you have correct insurance. Insurance wise, do you have to notify the company that you are towing or or do you mean a separate policy?

Thank you :)
YES to your first Q

SUPERVISING A B+E LEARNER
In April 2010 new rules were introduced for those supervising certain learner drivers but they only affected those supervising VOCATIONAL categories such as C1 C1+E D1 & D1+E where the supervising driver had those categories given to them for free when they passed a pre 1997 car test.
They do not affect those with a pre 1997 B+E licence who wish to supervise a B+E learner.

All B licence holders have B+E provisional on the paper part of their licence and can tow an empty or loaded trailer on all roads including motorways.

The usual rules apply when a learner is driving -
The supervising driver must be aged over 21
The supervising driver must have held a B+E licence for at least 3 years
L plates must be fitted to the front of the vehicle and the rear of the trailer
Correct insurance for a B+E learner
The supervising driver does not need to be insured unless they are driving

More info can be found in post number 2000 of the HHO TOWING CLINIC - link below in my signature

dial3012

New User
Visit site
Hi all,

I recently decided to buy myself a single ifor williams trailer and found a second had one at a reasonable price. It's an older one, a 1997 model. I went to see it and checked it all over, really smart, so got it home yesterday.

Before I bought it, when researched ifor williams single trailers it said on all the details I could find that the unladen weight was 770kg and the MAM was 1600kg
I've just noticed on the plating on mine that it says it's a Hb401R - what difference does the R make?!
Also, the weights on it are 1600kg and 935kg - is 935kg the unladen weight?! I know it's older and got a wooden floor but surely it can't be THAT heavy?!

Sam
935kg could be the for the separate axles

Annagain

Visit site
You could contact IWT to ask if that is correct or take it to a weighbridge to get an accurate unladen weight. If it is less than the 935kg stamped on it you could get the plate changed - and get it downplated as Rog mentioned at the same time. That would be a lot cheaper and probably less time consuming than doing the test.

Anthrocities

New User
www.davidprendergast.photography
Very old thread here. But it confused / tripped me up a bit when researching purchasing a 401R recently. Just to clarify to future readers, the unladed weight of both the 401 and 401R is 770kg according to IFW. As noted by Dial2012 and Ron above, the 935kg weights on the plates are the maximum axle load allowed on each of the axles. The R just stands for Auto-Reverse.