Ifor Williams door catch- Am I just really clumsy?

Fruitcake

Visit site
Tonight, I have managed, for the second time, to snap the top door catch on the trailer. (The one you pull down to release grippy bits and then release so it grabs over the pin to secure the door). This time, horse was in the trailer so I had to back him out down the rear ramp as the front ramp is now stuck closed! :rolleyes:

OH says I’m “ham-fisted” and break everything I touch. He has now been left with the task of finding a way to detach the door from the ramp without the little pully down bit, so he can replace the catch! :D

Am I really that strong or do these parts just wear with age?

ester

Not slacking multitasking
Visit site
ha, I've never known that happen, however we did have one with a proper latch, mostly so you could close it when inside for emergency wees! :D

Toby_Zaphod

Visit site
Don't like to get involved with 'domestic disputes' but it sounds like you are probably 'ham fisted'? This is very much like whay my other half would do.

The Fuzzy Furry

Getting old disgracefully
Visit site
My husband did similar a few years ago and broke the catch on top barn door of horsebox. It had stuck and usually I just thumped the door with my fist which would loosen it. He walloped the catch, it snapped. Highly likely it was the sub zero temps that didnt help tho.

He had to get replacement welded on after getting the rest of it cut off. I called him more than ham fisted!

Fruitcake

Visit site
Don't like to get involved with 'domestic disputes' but it sounds like you are probably 'ham fisted'? This is very much like whay my other half would do.
I do suspect that might be the case! 😄 Admittedly, I have a bit of a pattern of these kind of disasters. I’m going to have to smile and be nice to him now in the hope that he’ll fix it. (Again).

Paint it Lucky

Visit site
Mine snapped not long after I got the trailer, as have many of the other fixtures and fittings. Really disappointing :( The newer ifor williams trailers just aren't made as sturdily as they used to be.

Roasted Chestnuts

Visit site
I have an older Ifor that’s about 15-17 years old (ally floor) and it still has the original little metal ring catches on it. They are a bit rusty and not very nice looking but they haven’t failed or broken in all that time.

Having heard other things about the new ones I think I’ll just stick with my old one until it dies I think then get a wee lorry :)

CMcC

Visit site
I am going to say you are not ham fisted. I have an Ifor Williams 2-3 years old and the catch for side ramp top door was faulty from the beginning then about 6 months ago just snapped.

asmp

Visit site
The chap servicing my 506 managed to break of the top door clips. Said it must have been on its way out and charged me for a new one! (But fitted it for free)

Fruitcake

Visit site
I feel much better now, knowing it’s not just me then! :D

OH says any company, wanting to thoroughly check how robust their product is, should send it here for me to trial as, if there’s a weakness (or even if there isn’t), I’ll find it and break it!

I honestly don’t think I do anything overly heavy-handed with these things! The catch just snapped and came off in my hands!

seabreeze

New User
Visit site
Tonight, I have managed, for the second time, to snap the top door catch on the trailer. (The one you pull down to release grippy bits and then release so it grabs over the pin to secure the door). This time, horse was in the trailer so I had to back him out down the rear ramp as the front ramp is now stuck closed! :rolleyes:

OH says I’m “ham-fisted” and break everything I touch. He has now been left with the task of finding a way to detach the door from the ramp without the little pully down bit, so he can replace the catch! :D

Am I really that strong or do these parts just wear with age?

seabreeze

New User
Visit site
This has happened to me too . My trailer is only 12 months old and I am not super strong. I don’t think this should have happened. Ivor Williams just offered to post me a new catch, cost 12.50 or bring it to them , not easy

Fruitcake

Visit site
That's why I haven't upgraded to a new Ifor, bloomin plastic fittings, not a good idea 🤔😐
The bit that snapped was cast aluminium. I suppose they use it instead of steel to save on weight. Assume it’s meant to be strong enough but not for the ‘ham-fisted’ amongst us. 😄

Reactions: tda