Ifor Williams trailers

LouiseG

Visit site
I'm about to buy a trailer and I'm interested to hear people's opinions! My boy is a chunky 15.2, will usually travel alone or with another horse around 16.2, certainly no bigger... I'm torn between the Ifor Williams 506 and 511, mainly because the 506 is cheaper and given that I dont own a big horse I am not sure I need the extra space, having said that my horse has travelled in 511 loads and I'm sure he would appreciate the extra room but I wondered if he would notice the difference?

Any thoughts or suggestions would be greatly appreciated? Also wondered what you might expect to pay for a relatively new, but second hand Ifor Williams?

Thanks!

EQUISCENE

Visit site
I have had a 511 for 3 years and travel a 15.2hh in it - I love it and she loads herself and travels brilliantly so must do too. Never tried her in the 506 as I wouldnt want to put her in anything smaller/narrower to be honest.

saalsk

Visit site
I'd go with the bigger one too - you never know what is in the future, and what you may need to transport ! I am sure your horse will also appreciate the extra room. I have a 15.2HH and a IW 510, and he travels so much better in it ( alone, with full width bars, or with his 16HH friend with the usual divider )

I have also used mine ( once thoroughly cleaned out ! ) for house moves, hay collection, and for camping in at a few events (non horse based) - loads of reasons to buy bigger !

JulesRules

Visit site
I have a medium weight type 15' 3".

She fits fine in my friends 506, but as she is the bigger of the two horses she normally travels on the right. I find the main problem is that there is not enough room for her to swing around to walk easily off the ramp and therefore comes off the side of the ramp which is an accident waiting to happen IMHO.

Therefore when I bought a trailer I went for the Cheval Liberte. It is the same size as the 506 so she fits in fine, but as the ramp is on left she has the extra space to walk off nicely.

I looked at some 511's and they looked lovely but to be honest were out of my price range as there are not many around. (i was buying 2nd hand)

Hope this helps

humblepie

Visit site
I borrowed the smaller one at the weekend for 15.3 tb. Plenty of room inside but echo had to be careful unloading as quite tight.

LouiseG

Visit site
Thanks very much for your replies!! having had a look, is there much difference between the 510 and the 511? Is the 511 just the newer model?

Achinghips

Visit site
I have a new 511. It is huge, bigger than a 510, its great for my needs, but i carry a 15.2 cob and a full up giant cob x shire. Try and take a look in the 511 first before you decide. The 506 did the job but really wasn't big enough for the latter ... And he would tell me!! Don't ask! Lol, but the little cob on her own is swamped by the 511

Last edited:

LuckyRed

Visit site
I have a 506 and my 15.3hh cobby Irish Sport horse travels fine in it - but I've also travelled an 18.2 TBxID in comfort with room to spare! The difference between the 506 and the 511 is not height but length (and maybe width, I'm not sure about that!) I remember talking to teh sales chappy at YHL when they first came out and he said that the panels that make up teh sides are now all the same height to save production costs and it's just the length that they cut them to that varies between the 2 trailer sizes.

Nickijem

Visit site
I have a 510 which comfortably takes my 17.1 and my friend's 16hh. A great trailer that is 10 years old now and still in great condition.

buddylove

Visit site
I have a 511 and usually just travel my middleweight Welsh x tb alone in it. As long as you have a vehicle with enough power to tow it i would always go with the bigger trailer. My boy is a 4yr old and travels very happily in his 511. I think a 506 would have been too narrow.

buddylove

Visit site
Can't edit as on phone but i bought mine second hand but it still had the plastic on the ramp and paid 3600. Love it and definitely worth the money. Don't think i will need to buy a new trailer for a long time!

TommisMum

Visit site
511 is the newer 510 and 506 is the newer 505.
The originals were actaully named after their so a 510 was 5'10" and the 505 was 5'5".
The ramps on the newer model can be on either side.
If you wanted a side unload in a similar price bracket look at the Equitrek Trailtreka.
The 511 is 7'6" head room, 506 is 7' head room

As to price 510 circa 2900 - 3200, 505 circa 2400 - 3000
If you know who to ask ;-). What ever you're looking for Pm me

Achinghips

Visit site
I have a 506 and my 15.3hh cobby Irish Sport horse travels fine in it - but I've also travelled an 18.2 TBxID in comfort with room to spare! The difference between the 506 and the 511 is not height but length (and maybe width, I'm not sure about that!) I remember talking to teh sales chappy at YHL when they first came out and he said that the panels that make up teh sides are now all the same height to save production costs and it's just the length that they cut them to that varies between the 2 trailer sizes.

The difference is in the height, width, length and weight. The 511 is seriously larger. I paid 4k for a six week old 511

nix123

Visit site
I have a 510 hunter and it comfortably takes my two 17hh ish & 16'2hh wb. I have noticed the horse which travels behind the driver, i tend to stand by the side by the jockey wheel when he unloads as he tends to walk off in a straight line opposed to bending and walking down the ramp.

LouiseG

Visit site
I think the 511 is the best option for me as it then covers every future eventuality! My horse has travelled in it a few times, on his own, with company and it's no bother at all!

Have found one locally (after a lot of searching!)... 2009, hardly any use and looks in brand new condition. It's going to be serviced before I get it, and the asking price is £3,900 - does this seem reasonable?

Annagain

Visit site
You could probably find one cheaper, but it's not overpriced if it's in as good a condition as you say. You'd have to factor in travelling to see others as well. Maybe offer £3,600 and see how you get on?

grandmaweloveyou

Visit site
I have a chunky 14.3 and have a 510 for the extra space height and light also its handy if i pick up any horses en route, no worries about their sixe.