IgG - who routinely tests?

Kaycee

Visit site
Just curious to know who routinely tests all their foals, regardless, and who only tests foals with obvious problems or slow to get on suck?
Thanks.

Tetrarch 1911

Visit site
Only those with obvious problems, as it isn't cost effective. We've only tested one foal in 30 years, and he turned out to have neonatal maladjustment syndrome, poor wee love. We lost him at 2 days old.

Just curious to know who routinely tests all their foals, regardless, and who only tests foals with obvious problems or slow to get on suck?
Thanks.

Last edited:

sallyf

Visit site
We IGG and full blood screen everything.
But we don't pay call out charges and bloods run at about £32 so worth it in my book.
Some of the healthiest looking foals have had poor IGG's and they have then had plasma as high end value foals.
Some owners have chosen not to so foals have been covered with AB's for a week but at least you know which ones are more vulnerable.

Kaycee

Visit site
Thanks guys, nice to have a reply from each angle. Think I will continue to only IgG foals that I have concerns about. A new vet at the practice I use asked if I was going to routinely test from now on, after having a foal with problems and who's results were borderline (opted for plasma transfusion and foal is absolutely fine). Two poorly foals last year both had results of 1300 +, so it doesn't automatically follow that it's failure, or partial failure, of passive transfer.
Sorry to hear about your colt Tetrarch 1911. I've bred 40+ foals in the last 30 years with no issues at all, until last year. Lucky?? Yes, probably.