Ignorant YOs - unbelievable

reynold

Visit site
was in feed merchants/tackshop today - totally gobsmacked

woman in front of me plainly from conversation was a YO and yet was asking what to worm the yard horses with !!!!!!!!! (not in the sense of which wormer was better than any other but in the sense of 'do they need worming' and 'oh really')

sorry - but if I was liveried at her place I'd be b****y worried if the YO didn't know about worming

that to me is BASIC stuff and if you don't know perhaps you shouldn't run a yard...??

Shilasdair

Patting her thylacine
Visit site
And if anyone is qualified to talk about ignorant yard owners, I'm sure it's Tia.
S
smile.gif

Tia

Visit site
I expect I have met as many ignorant ones as most others on here. I've also met plenty of knowledgeable ones too.
smile.gif

Enfys

Visit site
I was briefly at a yard in Germany where the YO fed his horses privet to worm them!

Not something to be recommended, although I have been told of it happening in the UK too.

henryhorn

www.narramorehorses.blogspot.com
I wonder if perhaps she was running a DIY and was trying to improve her knowledge, so perhaps you were a bit harsh assuming she was doing proper livery...
I would far rather see someone attempting to learn than ignoring what should be done to be honest.
I think it depends on what you want from your yard owner; I used to save my lot a fortune when they asked for advice, but not everyone wants a YO who is a professional, many just want a field and some stables and no interference from the owner..
I agree no-one should "run" a yard unless they know their stuff, but renting some boxes is very different to offering livery..

amandaco2

Visit site
i suppose its good she was getting advice although she would be better off getting it from a vet.
ive been at a yard where the wormers were decided by the feed merchant.the horses had equest,then equimax,then 5day guard,then strongid p all in one year!