I'm a CRAP rider and am deluded in thinking I'm competent enough...

PapaFrita

pilar-larcade.com
... to school or compete a horse like Antifaz- heck ANY horse! I must give up competitive riding IMMEDIATELY and start collecting stamps... or thimbles... And WHAT was I thinking getting the round (and my humiliation) recorded for posterity...???
frown.gif

... These were some of the things going through my mind after the 90cm round on Antifaz at our show today.
Yesterday he jumped like a dream so I was confident today I wouldn't make a complete T!T of myself! But... horses being horses, Antifaz was determined to prove me wrong and reverted to some of the behaviour he was infamous for before I got him. The course wasn't complicated, but it was twisty. He wanted to go left when I wanted to go right (did some nifty flying changes though) and I fiddled all the way round... or to be more accurate, I manhandled him all the way around because he just wasn't paying attention. Astonishingly we had no jumping faults, but 2 time faults from him turning like Titanic and almost taking me into the carpark on corners...
I was soooo pessimistic and depressed that I thought I'd better not jump the 1m class, for which I'd also entered, lulled into an evidently FALSE sense of security by A's consistently calm and careful jumping at home...
Then something happened (I'm not sure what) and I thought... What the heck. He knows which way we have to go now, and he's a tiny bit more tired, so he might behave... The Former Instructor gave me a few pointers, and off we went again....
I might not be quite as crap as I thought... Antifaz jumped double clear without touching a single pole although our time was a solid 5 seconds behind the winners- We've definitely got to work on our corners. The jumps felt huge but once I stopped squabbling with him I really really enjoyed it and I think he did too! I'm dying to see the vids (well, possibly not the first one!). I'm soooo pleased I've taken him up to 1m, which I haven't jumped competitively since I was 15 (
blush.gif
) it feels like a huge breakthrough.
Sorry, should probably have put a 'self indulgent' warning in the title!!

ruscara

Visit site
It may be self indulgent, but then I feel that you deserve congratulations, PF. I have really admired the way you have grown in confidence over the last months, and how you have transformed Antifaz when I believe everyone else had pretty much given up on him.
I hope we can see the videos? Well done for your double clears, and it is great that you enjoyed doing them
smile.gif

parsley

Visit site
laugh.gif
Well done! I always think that good horsey people have to be bossy and determined ( in the nicest possible way
blush.gif
) - you obviously sorted him out on the first round
cool.gif

cobden99

Visit site
well done for sticking with it, it would have been really easy to give the second class a miss after your first round !
Snigger at "turning like titanic" .... gave me a great mental picture
grin.gif
grin.gif

Loupride

s25.photobucket.com
That's so great to hear PF!!
Well Done to both you and A! As I've said before I love hearing stories of your success and progression, you have come such a long way as a rider
grin.gif

4whitesocks

Visit site
brilliant news - delighted to hear how well teh two of you are getting on - have just started to brave the 95cm mark myself in local clear round comps and totally understand how proud you rightly are....

Butterbean

Visit site
Wow, well done, hope you will post the vids on here, I always enjoy watching your riding.
Was surprised that you haven't jumped 1m competitively for a long time - you jump pretty large fences in the videos you've posted here, I thought you were jumping much higher than that!