I'm a Mug!

Orangehorse

Visit site
I have shares in a couple of racehorses, one of those groups where you "own" about 3 hairs in its tail! It is well run and interesting. You have the "chance" to get to visit the trainer's stables and go to where they are in pre-training, well not this past year obviously.
There are so many shares for each horse that even if it wins the money payout is going to be miniscule. My second horse won last week, so I ordered another mug with his picture on, to go with the other horse that won in the autumn.

I was thinking that I have spent more money on mugs with their pictures on than I have won in prizemoney. What a mug I am!

Orangehorse

Visit site
Nonsense - if you enjoy it and have fun following them then what a great way to spend you spare cash.

Think of it as a hobby not a money making plan

Presumably the real money is made on the very occasional one that goes off to stud and makes a fortune there

I don't know. The people making the money are the ones who set up the club are making the money, but it is good fun and it is well organised. And it is nice when "your" horse wins.

humblepie

Visit site
I think that is really nice and you get the enjoyment out of following the horse and when he runs and being involved in that way. Next step buying a bigger share in a racehorse and then a whole racehorse and then a complete string. Watch out JP McManus and Rich Ricci! I am glad that is well organised.

Visit site
Are you in an Owners Group? They do their syndicates quite well and yes they make a small fortune from it BUT obviously they need to buy the horse and pay for it's upkeep so any of their profits are actually more like wages to them as they do need to keep everything updated, buy more horses, keep the paperwork in order etc. I do not envy syndicate owners - especially the big ones like The Owners Group and Elite Racing etc they have a hell of a task on their hands!

FinnishLapphund

There's no cow on the ice
Visit site
That's the best reason for being a mug that I've ever heard. Sometimes you don't have more fun than what you make yourself, I'm sure it will be a pleasure for you to see your own winners, on your own mug.

For Elitloppet 2004, they had to rent, and put up a special audience stand to have room for the around 500 owners (+ presumably OHs/partners) of Calvin Capar. I don't think he was among the experts favourites, but he managed to not only go through to the finale, without finished second in it.

Found this photo of Calvin Capar going past "his" audience stand were all the white flags had his picture on top of some red text on them.

6921.gif

Most owners was from Sweden, but some were from other countries. Can't imagine each individual owner got that much money even from him finishing second in one of the most prestigious Harness races for trotters, but on the other hand, they can all say they've owned a horse competing in the Elitloppet.

Equi

Visit site
Ive always fancied the idea of owning a share in a horse but i just dno't follow racing enough to be bothered. I would spend the money then forget all about it.

Spotherisk

Visit site
Equi you get regular reports via email and a book comes through the post too (maybe monthly?), pre COVID you could go on stable visits and possibly be an owner if the horse ran. I bought a share in Hacker de Places for the OH, I think I am definitely more interested than he is though!

Orangehorse

Visit site
Are you in an Owners Group? They do their syndicates quite well and yes they make a small fortune from it BUT obviously they need to buy the horse and pay for it's upkeep so any of their profits are actually more like wages to them as they do need to keep everything updated, buy more horses, keep the paperwork in order etc. I do not envy syndicate owners - especially the big ones like The Owners Group and Elite Racing etc they have a hell of a task on their hands!

Yes, its Owner's Group. They pay good money for the horses, with some form, unless it is a youngster.

Red-1

I used to be decisive, now I'm not so sure...
Visit site
Yes, its Owner's Group. They pay good money for the horses, with some form, unless it is a youngster.

I bought mum a share in an Owner's Group horse. It broke soon after, and we had report after report about the road to recovery, then needing an operation, then recovery again, then re-injury... then maybe she would make a broodmare. Never did run.

I would have been delighted if she had at least made the track let alone won. You are no mug!

cblover

Visit site
My hubby has a share in Hurling Magic through owners group. I bought him it for his birthday. Just a bit of pleasure and he’s really enjoying following his journey.