I'm calling it a day :(

SatansLittleHelper

Visit site
Horse walked out in hand for 45 mins, really good with the traffic, only spook was at a cyclist who whizzed past. He had a look at some of the bigger traffic but nothing major. Then I got on and he bucked me off. Most of the day in casualty after landing on my head and shoulder to discover I have broken my thumb/hand and ankle...go figure.
I've come to the decision that, although I love this horse with every beat of my heart, that we are just not right for each other. I don't have the experience and competence he needs and I cannot mentally or physically commit to keeping up with the work he needs. So I've come to the conclusion he needs to be sold and I need a sane and safe horse that I can regain my confidence in and have fun with.
If there is anyone who would be willing to help me word an ad and with pricing I would very much appreciate your help.
By a broken hearted (and broken boned!!) Me 😢😢😢😢😢😢

Arniebear

Visit site
There is absolutly nothing wrong with admitting defeat in circumstances like this. You know in your heart if it was/wasnt meant to be, i hope that you find him a nice home with someone who is right for him and in turn you find something that is right for you! Hope you start to feel better soon and the broken bones dont cause too much of a hinderance!

Clodagh

Visit site
I'm so sorry to hear that. What a truly awful time you are having. Someone better than me will help you with the ad and you are doing exactly the right thing. To take it easy while you mend.
Could you send him to sales livery?

Irish gal

Visit site
You poor thing! That is serious but thank God it wasn't your neck or back...you are right to sell, take it as a warning that this partnership is not right. I had a similar experience and never sat on the horse in question again. There are too many of us out there trying to ride animals only suitable for professionals/producers. To enjoy our riding a sane, safe, sensible horse is needed. I'm great with ads so if you want to pm me any info I would be happy to help. Good luck now in the hospital, it can be a big shock to suddenly have broken bones and it takes a bit of readjustment. Thinking of you.

Equine_Dream

Visit site
Aww bless you :( personally I think it takes more courage and sense to admitt when you are just not right for each, than to just blindly persevere regardless.

As far as wording an add I would keep it simple. Something like;
For sale summer project.
X year old [breed] gelding currently standing Xhh. Was broken x months ago and is now riding, but is still very green. £X ovno. Please no novices or timewasters.

Hugs I hope you feel better soon xxx

Tiddlypom

Carries on creakily
Visit site
Oh no, poor you :(. Thank goodness you were not even more seriously hurt. This was the last thing you needed.

I'm sure, though, that he will find a good home with someone who wants a whizzier model, then you can look out for a nice Steady Eddie.

AdorableAlice

Visit site
I am so sorry to hear you are battered and broken. It is something I fear now I am older and weaker. Will I ever have the courage to get on board Ted, I am not so sure.

If I remember correctly your lad is a big strong type too. Personally I would not use the term 'project' in the advert. I feel it conveys the message of mad, bad and dangerous.

I would pay someone to get him hacking out and capable of doing basic circles and shapes in the school and then advertise him as a young horse ready to go on and see hounds. The reason for sale is simple, he is too much horse for your needs. Don't under price him, make sure the photos are good ones. You will soon know if any potential purchasers are novices by the questions they will ask you so no need to say no time wasters or novices.

Equine_Dream

Visit site
I am so sorry to hear you are battered and broken. It is something I fear now I am older and weaker. Will I ever have the courage to get on board Ted, I am not so sure.

If I remember correctly your lad is a big strong type too. Personally I would not use the term 'project' in the advert. I feel it conveys the message of mad, bad and dangerous.

I would pay someone to get him hacking out and capable of doing basic circles and shapes in the school and then advertise him as a young horse ready to go on and see hounds. The reason for sale is simple, he is too much horse for your needs. Don't under price him, make sure the photos are good ones. You will soon know if any potential purchasers are novices by the questions they will ask you so no need to say no time wasters or novices.

Re not saying hes a project I think its very much an individual interpretation of it. I usually think "green and needs bringing on" but I can see how others may find it offputting. On the other hand Ive seen so many posts on local groups from people stating things like : WANTED summer project. So again I think it just depends how you interpret the word.
As for saying no novices/timewasters, having sold a few horses and witnessed many friends sell Ive always found it makes a huge difference to who you get enquiring. Ive always found it useful to clearly state that novices need not apply or youd be amazed how many enquires you get from people who the horse is clearly unsuitable for.

Tally-lah

Visit site
Heya, not commentated on any of your previous posts but wanted to say I am so sorry for the loss of your little girl and now this.

Your boy was sent away to be backed, wasn't he? I would say this in your ad, perhaps say he has been turned away since and you are looking for someone knowledgeable to continue his education... List what he has done with the person who backed him, i.e. if it is just basics then say this, or if he has been schooled a bit then mention that too. Keep it simple and if you want someone to look over your ad then I am happy to help, as I am sure many will be.

wingedhorse

Visit site
Horse walked out in hand for 45 mins, really good with the traffic, only spook was at a cyclist who whizzed past. He had a look at some of the bigger traffic but nothing major. Then I got on and he bucked me off. Most of the day in casualty after landing on my head and shoulder to discover I have broken my thumb/hand and ankle...go figure.
I've come to the decision that, although I love this horse with every beat of my heart, that we are just not right for each other. I don't have the experience and competence he needs and I cannot mentally or physically commit to keeping up with the work he needs. So I've come to the conclusion he needs to be sold and I need a sane and safe horse that I can regain my confidence in and have fun with.
If there is anyone who would be willing to help me word an ad and with pricing I would very much appreciate your help.
By a broken hearted (and broken boned!!) Me ������������

I am very sorry that you are hurt.

To quote your other post "[B]This will be the first time I have ever ridden him and I'm terrified. [/B]
Read more at http://www.horseandhound.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?701710-Wish-me-luck!!!#3pLVxS1a7fFusa5p.99"

I am understanding, you led him out for a 45 minute walk, and then got on and he bucked you off. I dont have all the details, but you mention being terrified which he will have picked up on, and you say you've never ridden him before. Was he in regular ridden work? If not you might have set yourself up for success by getting someone to re-introduce him to ridden work, and to support and help you build your confidence riding him, in a safe enclosed location. Riding a horse you are scared of, cold by yourself, without support, if he isnt being ridden regularly, seems unwise. And maybe the outcome isnt really the horse's fault?

Abby-Lou

Visit site
Well done for knowing to call it a day ! Its was probably the hardest thing I had to do with a horse I just couldn't manage, after a year of dreading riding and battling on and a trip to casualty I decided that as it and I don't regret it for a moment ! and when you look back on this you won't either ! big hugs and get well soon !

SatansLittleHelper

Visit site
Thanks...not at any point have I ever blamed my horse. I was much more confident by the time our walk was over so was pretty calm and collected within myself before getting on board.
I do realise that I have set myself up to fail this time and therefore agree with your post. I have never tried to blame him though...I really do know it's all down to me.
However, none of that changes the fact that I really do feel hopelessly over horsed by him.
I was diagnosed with Fibromyalgia last year and I have depression plus to top it all off I lost my little girl almost 9 weeks ago. I just want to simplify my life a little and losing my daughter has made me see that life is too short to be feeling as I am. I cannot emphasise enough how much I love this horse, if flying to the moon and back would change things then please believe me, I would do it :(

SusieT

Visit site
' Your boy was sent away to be backed, wasn't he? I would say this in your ad, perhaps say he has been turned away since and you are looking for someone knowledgeable to continue his education..'

Unbelievable that this is what people would consider doing. Bucked off and broken bones and try and sell it as a just backed and turned away horse.. That's why people don't believe the honest people who say this!

SatansLittleHelper

Visit site
But SusieT it was genuinely not his fault...it was mine...please read post above xx

I'm probably guilty here of assuming everyone knows his situation.
I've had him a couple of years and my financial situation was different at the time. I'm no longer able to afford to spend as much on his education as I previously could.
We have no real facilities as he is field kept.

Last edited:

muckypony

Visit site
Your boy was sent away to be backed, wasn't he? I would say this in your ad, perhaps say he has been turned away since and you are looking for someone knowledgeable to continue his education... List what he has done with the person who backed him, i.e. if it is just basics then say this, or if he has been schooled a bit then mention that too. Keep it simple and if you want someone to look over your ad then I am happy to help, as I am sure many will be.

Words fail me......

SatansLittleHelper

Visit site
He WAS sent away...then WAS turned away over winter...I don't know where the problem is with Tally-Lah's post?? And I would never, ever, ever sell this boy in a dishonest way...I love him far too much!!!!!

Irish gal

Visit site
Listen don't beat yourself up - you've enough going on! I know you love him to death but guess what - so will his next owner...that might sound harsh but I'm sure you'll find him a good home where someone will love on him and he will be just as content with that as you doing it. I think you might need to send him to a sales livery, but the good news is that they will maybe do a deal with you - if cash is short - whereby you pay what's owing when he's sold, out of what you get for him. Loaning could be another idea but if he bucks off the person you could be liable. I would really think of the sales livery or sell for peanuts out of the field and say he's green and has been left off and needs a very experienced rider. That way you could just cut your losses, that or the sales livery might me the easiest in your current situation.

muckypony

Visit site
He WAS sent away...then WAS turned away over winter...I don't know where the problem is with Tally-Lah's post?? And I would never, ever, ever sell this boy in a dishonest way...I love him far too much!!!!!

No I don't dispute that at all, but to suggest that he should be sold without mention of being ridden since being turned away is shocking! I'm sure you won't, and really feel for you in this situation.

oldie48

Visit site
Gosh this seems a bit unsupportive. OP hasn't blamed the horse, just said she's had enough and realises the horse is not for her and that she doesn't have the experience or competence that the horse needs. Seems like a very wise decision and clearly a difficult one too. I too hope she finds a suitable home for the horse and wish her well with her search for something which she can enjoy. I get the impression that life has not be too kind to her recently so I sincerely hope life gets much better!
I am very sorry that you are hurt.

To quote your other post "[B]This will be the first time I have ever ridden him and I'm terrified. [/B]
Read more at http://www.horseandhound.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?701710-Wish-me-luck!!!#3pLVxS1a7fFusa5p.99"

I am understanding, you led him out for a 45 minute walk, and then got on and he bucked you off. I dont have all the details, but you mention being terrified which he will have picked up on, and you say you've never ridden him before. Was he in regular ridden work? If not you might have set yourself up for success by getting someone to re-introduce him to ridden work, and to support and help you build your confidence riding him, in a safe enclosed location. Riding a horse you are scared of, cold by yourself, without support, if he isnt being ridden regularly, seems unwise. And maybe the outcome isnt really the horse's fault?

ozpoz

Visit site
So sorry, you have been through the mill, but there will be a younger version of you out there who won't hesitate to take on a youngster and enjoy the challenge too.
Don't beat yourself up, look for an armchair ride, and find him the best of homes where you know he'll be appreciated.
There will be a horse for you who will bring you fun and happiness - I hope you find him very soon. x

wingedhorse

Visit site
I would say in an advert.

Nice kind genuine young horse, backed and successfully doing X, Y, Z. Turned away over the winter and until recently. Owner’s circumstances have changed, and with no facilities and no support owner lacks confidence to bring him back in work. Owner tried to ride him straight from the field, which was not a success partly due to owner’s lack of confidence and experience. He will need re-starting but the correct foundations are there. Happy to share the contact details of the professional backers that started him for references that he was well started.

I would share details of your injuries with any callers that seem suitable. Failure to be fully open would carry risks of comeback against you. You need to declare that he injured you. I would go so far as to include it in the sales not. The buyer is aware that the horse injured his previous owner, and is buying him knowing this.

epeters91

Visit site
I feel terrible for you about your fall I hope that you heal quickly.

It's very sad things haven't worked out but well done for recognising this and doing something about it. At no point have you blamed the horse you've been so honest about how you've been feeling and you've tried your best but this is defintiely the best option for you and your horse.

I think you've been really brave, strong and honest about the whole situation your horse has been lucky to have such a lovely owner. I really do wish you luck with selling and with finding a new horse you deserve some good things.

Sending healing hugs and any good luck I can! xx

Meowy Catkin

Meow!
Visit site
I'm so sorry that you are injured. I hope that you heal quickly. Selling him does sound wise and I hope that the right new home comes along.

I don't think that there is anything wrong with having a basic ad and then talking about the horse and the full circumstances causing the sale during a phone conversation before people come to view. It might also be worth talking to the people who backed him. Maybe he could go back to get him riding again ready for sale?

Gloi

Too little time, too much to read.
Visit site
I too think it would be a good idea for him to go back to the people who backed him to start him riding again. Maybe they could sell him from there for you for a fee, they'd be in a better position than you to show him off to his advantage and probably get a better price.

Jules_F

Visit site
Hi,

I just wanted to say I'm sorry. I do think you are making the right decision though, for both of you. I do hope you go on to find a better match for you with whom you can have fun. Im sure if you ask the people that backed him they would help you come up with a price and help you draft an ad, but if you need any help then put as much of his details as possible on here and I for one would certainly try to help :) Best of luck and I hope you feel better soon