I'm curious...what's the BEST thing about being a horse owner?

Ormsweird

Visit site
The whinny back when I call him.

Trotting or cantering down the field and looking so pleased to see me.

Quiet moments like the other day, when people were asking me about him and I was just leaning on him with my arms on his back (pony!) and he and I were both just entirely chilled to be in each others company.

Peterboy1

Visit site
I think it's just being around horses. I wanted a horse for years and I had lessons here and there but there isn't really any good riding schools around here. Finally after atleast 8 years my parents said yes. We looked for a good horse for me to learn on, a 'bombproof', 'quiet' type but now I hardly ride and I just enjoy going to the farm and spending time with her, it does make me feel a bit guilty as she is a really good riding horse and would make a great all rounder in my opinion but at the moment in just keeping her happy with love and food :)

pennandh

Visit site
Those days when you seem to be steering entirely by telepathy, and the medium trot happens exactly where you wanted it, and there's suddenly an extra foot or two in both height and width on that showjump because he got a bit overenthusiastic but you saw it coming and sat it smoothly.

Those days when the baler wasn't scary, and the motorcyclists only warranted a quiet snort, and he tilts at the quintain in a perfectly straight line at a good fast canter and pulls up on a finger-squeeze in front of the kids you're demonstrating for.

Those days when he gets really into barrels for the demo - flying changes and inward lean and serious extension - but comes back down to a swinging walk for the kids to try, with super-smooth extended trot down the home straight that makes them grin because they got to go fast on what they consider a really big pony.

All the days of thrills that make the spills worth every heartstopping second.