I'm I the only one who doesn't ride?

RuthM

Visit site
Burnttoast - yep, I hear you! When I stopped I didn't have to deal with stopping thanks to my old gaffa. He gave me good advice, 'go have a break for a couple of months' coupled with the promise I could walk straight back into the yard at any time, stay or even come back after a year (5 might be pushing it - they're spicy horses!, although, if I wanted it enough...?). It was just a holiday but I found I was settled without it, even enjoyed the extra time. My old boss and I are still good friends, I never finally rang or said I wasn't coming back, he never asked. Months after my daughter was born it was made clear she'd be welcome with me once old enough.

I didn't know, didn't even suspect that my last ride was just that, nothing was coerced and I had complete choice. Out of the countless rides I'll never forget the last one isn't even present in my memory - perhaps that's it, maybe that's why stopping was easy.

MrsElle

Visit site
I made the decision to hang up my riding boots a few weeks ago. Again, much of it is psychological but I also have problems mounting and riding due to a bad hip. I was devastated and relieved in equal parts when I finally declared my decsion to OH, but am getting used to the idea now.

We have two mini-shetlands (one in foal) who we got a couple of weeks back who will get me out and about showing next year. I couldn't bear to do nothing with horses, so showing the littlies will keep me actively involved with horsey people rather than being stuck on my own with my larger field ornaments :)

Eluana

eluana.webs.com
I used to ride every weekend and nearly everyday during school holidays, but within the last 3 years I've only ridden 3 times.
I'm in a rut at the moment about it - I want to start again, but there are loads of things why not to - some are just flimsy excuses, some are solid reasons and the main one is where/how.
I was thinking about putting up a post on here to get ideas on what to do, but I know I'm likely to talk myself out of it and not bother.

I'm on this forum because I joined when I did ride, and it's really my only 'horse world' connection - I apparently live in a horsey area, but there is nothing here to suggest that.

BeesKnees

Visit site
Stopped riding for the second time about 4 years ago due to back problems and not being able to ride as much as I wanted. First time was at 17 when other things became more interesting!

Gave up very reluctantly the second time, but the pain was too much and the travelling 200 miles to ride my share dressage horse with my trainer in Cornwall meant I only rode every two weeks, which didn't help the back and meant I just couldn't progress as much as I wanted. I'm not a happy hacker, so it was frustrating.

Don't imagine I'll ever return to it now, but you never know. Enjoy being on here to kee in touch with horsy stuff.

Oh and the rows make good spectating material!!

Equinus

Visit site
I stopped 7 years ago just before I lost my old mare. Last year OH startedriding at 52, and we bought a ten yo "nivice" ridewho turned out to be anything but!

I worked with competition and hunt horses for 20 years, and owned three over 25 years, and with arthritis being a problem now thought that was that. But the other day, aged 56, I rode a friend's horse, only at walk and a small trot (kills me knees) but had her going better than her owner! Very emotional event it was.

Don't know if we will ever ride our lovely lad, but never say never. If it is possible................

assandun

Visit site
Thank you so much to those who replied to my post, you've given me the confidence to look into local riding schools and book some lessons.
What a welcoming and friendly forum this place can be, I wouldn't be doing this without the encouragement that you have given me, so seriously, thank you in helping me get over my worries as this is something I have always wanted to do :)

Cortez

Tough but Fair
Visit site
Oh good luck! I'm so pleased you've decided to have a go; I have taught quite a few first - time oldies (real oldies, like in their 60's+, not a child like you!) who have gone on to enjoy horses and riding at all levels - one even went hunting for the first time at 72, fell off, got back on and said it was the most thrilling thing he'd ever done!

BeesKnees

Visit site
Thank you so much to those who replied to my post, you've given me the confidence to look into local riding schools and book some lessons.
What a welcoming and friendly forum this place can be, I wouldn't be doing this without the encouragement that you have given me, so seriously, thank you in helping me get over my worries as this is something I have always wanted to do :)

You should so give it a go. Horses are such an enjoyable way to spend time, and a great leveller, somehow being around them puts stuff into perspective.

I hope you try and enjoy your journey :)

WeedySeaDragon

Visit site
I'm very much on and off with riding at the moment and have been for a few years.

I desperately want to but it's finding somewhere to ride that's the issue. There's not a single riding school locally that I've not tried and have either found some issue with them or they're just basic 'kick and pull' places which is not what I want. There was a lovely little yard locally that did lessons with a much more classical leaning but unfortunately they've now swapped to only doing simulator lessons which I'm planning on having a go at but it's not the same as riding a proper schoolmaster.

I've been looking for a share recently but appropriate ones are very thin on the ground, the only ones I've found locally have been people with youngsters wanting someone to pay them for the privilege of schooling their horse :rolleyes:

I am starting a college course (nothing spectacular, it's a BHS Stages 1, 2 & 3 prep course) in September but that's more for getting the knowledge I need to pass the exams, I have a feeling I'm not going to absolutely love it.

Until I can buy one and get some proper lessons going I think I'm going to be perpetually stuck in a rut of riding for a bit, getting sick of being restricted to local riding schools then stopping for a while again for the foreseeable future :(

TrasaM

Visit site
First ever post from a long time lurker, please be gentle!
Despite being interested in horses from a very young age, I have never ridden. It used to be due to family finances, now its more me being nervous to start as I feel like im too old to start (I'm 21! and know it's silly to feel that way).
Hoping that one day I will get over my fears, book some lessons and just do it but in the meantime I am happy to be learning so much through this forum :)

Lol! I always wanted to ride horses but had to make do with the farm Neddy because my dad did not like horses..Dangerous beasts! Finally, having put it off just as you are doing and for the same reasons. I started lessons just 13 months ago aged..drum roll...52! I'm loving it and shock horror there were even older ladies than me learning. 21!,..you're a baby.

OP..love your post. I used to run and remember thinking that I'd never give it up but I did and I don't miss it. I realise now that it was the competitive part I liked most. :)

RuthM

Visit site
I've really enjoyed the whole thread. I feel in good company, lovely mixture of non riders, scarce riders and those just thinking about it.

Syrah

Visit site
I stopped riding a couple of months ago when I sold my mare. After a few bad experiences with equestrian people, I can't see me ever bothering again. I don't post here anymore either but do read every now and then.

Holly Hocks

Visit site
On 14th October last year I lost my beloved Rebel - a horse who I could hack anywhere, was spirited but safe, challenging, but rewarding. On the same day - about an hour after he had been PTS I got a phone call from Glasgow Vet School telling me that my mare, who was up there for lameness investigations had been diagnosed with navicular, hind limb PSLD, bilateral spavin and arthritis in the fetlock - as well as something else in a front leg which has still never been diagnosed and wasn't considered worth investigating after everything else they had found wrong. I was told that the chances of being able to ride her again were very very slim and that her best option would be as a companion. It sounds weird, but I felt a sense of relief that I wouldn't have to ride again. She was always a bit nappy and difficult and it felt like a weight had been lifted. So I brought her home and enjoyed spending every minute with her. I did loads of rehab with her after she had winter off, started long-reining in March, just to give her some interest and exercise and got the physio out as she had been off work for so long. The Physio told me there was no reason I should not start riding her again. I felt a sense of elation but a sense of dread at the same time. Elated because I had brought this horse back from the brink, but dread because I would have to get on her again. Anyway - I am back on board and hacking out. I felt sick when I first got back on and even now I still feel sort of butterflies just before I get on. When I am on and on the roads I am fine, but it's the getting on and setting off. I do it because I think she is happier when she has a job but I still prefer the long-reining round the roads in the early mornings than the riding, so I tend to alternate it.
I also bought myself an unbroken NFx filly who has just turned 3. I am really really enjoying the handling and ground work and we go out for walks, just her and me and it's great. I love caring for them - they're my therapy! So I totally understand those who don't ride. If I never rode again it wouldn't bother me.

Flame_

Visit site
I stopped riding a couple of months ago when I sold my mare. After a few bad experiences with equestrian people, I can't see me ever bothering again. I don't post here anymore either but do read every now and then.

Aw I'm sorry to hear you've given up Syrah. The last I remember of your posts you'd seemed on a better track. I hope you get back to it if you want to and I don't think we're that far from each other so if there's anything I can do to help just let me know.

Syrah

Visit site
Aw I'm sorry to hear you've given up Syrah. The last I remember of your posts you'd seemed on a better track. I hope you get back to it if you want to and I don't think we're that far from each other so if there's anything I can do to help just let me know.

Aw thank you, that has made me smile. I'm going to have a break for a couple of months and see how I feel. But really, thank you its very kind :)

atlantis

equinetouchjo.wordpress.com
This is a great post.

I've riden once since I fell pregnant 2 years ago. I did have a share of an amazing horse and was planning to ride further into my pregnancy but had complications so I had to stop. The owner of the horse then moved and do did we. Since I had my daughter I've been struggling to ride since.

I'd love a share but tbh I don't think I have the time. I work and my oh runs his own business and works long and sporadic hours so with limited childcare I don't see how I'd realistically do it.

On the other hand I feel like I'm a bit scared of starting again. Not of actually riding, just that I might not be able to ride as well as I'd like. I could have lessons but then I'd have to ride in front of someone and them annalyse my riding. Not sure I want that either.

I'm just a big wuss!!!

Asha

Visit site
Atlantis - i know exactly where you are coming from.

I havent ridden for a few months. Totally lost my confidence riding after a couple of falls.

My daughter has a lovely new horse who is so safe, and she keeps nagging me to have a go, but i just keep making excuses. I need to get back on and get over myself, but really struggling.

Worse part of it is, i have a couple of 3 year olds, that will be backed next year so need to get my confidence so i can get on board. (They will be sent away to be backed)

I love being around them, and all the chores that come with them. How do you make yourself get back on ?

So OP, your definitely not alone x

TrasaM

Visit site
How about all those who want to ride but for whatever reason have been putting off the decision form a support group for each other and agree to have lessons by a certain date. Then we can have a thread where you all relate your experiences? You included OP.?:)

RuthM

Visit site
Not yet. I honestly don't know what I want, only difference is a month ago I did, I knew I was happy stopped! :)

I think it's a great idea though, something rolling so anyone can jump in at any time.

Forester

Visit site
I haven't ridden since June 2002 since I fell off and damaged nerves in my neck as well as breaking a few bones . The fall resulted in a year off work.

I originally intended to ride again but OH ( aged 70 at the time ) found looking after my 2 horses whilst I was out of action was too much for him . He said that he couldn't look after them again if I injured myself again.

I still have the mare who threw me and will keep her for the rest of her life. I promised the lady who gave her to me that she would have a home for life.When I first stopped riding the sound of horses going by was enough to almost reduce me to tears because I missed it so much but now I enjoy just looking after her almost as much as I did riding.

atlantis

equinetouchjo.wordpress.com
Yeah Asha I really need to kick myself into touch too. I don't want to leave it for ages and then loose what riding ability and feel I did have. Just need to take the plunge and boom some lessons. I know where I'd try first I just need to do it.

Star_Chaser

Visit site
First ever post from a long time lurker, please be gentle!
Despite being interested in horses from a very young age, I have never ridden. It used to be due to family finances, now its more me being nervous to start as I feel like im too old to start (I'm 21! and know it's silly to feel that way).
Hoping that one day I will get over my fears, book some lessons and just do it but in the meantime I am happy to be learning so much through this forum :)

definitely do it you won't regret it :D

Cinnamontoast

Fais pas chier!
Visit site
I haven't ridden for a couple of months and I'm not really bothered. I'm too heavy for my boy, imo (vet agrees). If I lose weight, I'll get back on and hopefully ride lots. I'd love to, but I lost my confidence after a big fall. I used to get on anything, but now I need to really psyche myself up to ride. :(

Brilliant post, OP. :)

Box_Of_Frogs

Visit site
Sadly, I don't ride any more. There comes a time, well, for me anyway, when I realised that I don't bounce the same any more and falls are more dangerous because of it. As OP said, the less I rode, the less I wanted to any more. BUT...I already had 3 rescue shetlands, one very very tiny, and I love being around them. All the pleasure of being around horses, only they're tiny! So I've treated myself to a show quality tiny skewbald shetland and am going to have some fun round the local show rings with him.

carthorse15

Visit site
I've made the decision to give up horses completely after 30 years of ownership. I've lost two horses within 2 years and no longer feel able to be near them. Makes me sad but the heartache and finanical reality involved is too much.

Equinus

Visit site
I've made the decision to give up horses completely after 30 years of ownership. I've lost two horses within 2 years and no longer feel able to be near them. Makes me sad but the heartache and finanical reality involved is too much.

I understand you completely. I didn't go near a horse for five years after my lovely girl died after 25 years together. No mags or anything.

I am healing, slowly.:)