I'm intrigued....

Megan_T

Visit site
Hello everyone :) I'm new to AAD *waves*

I loiter here a lot and read your fab posts and wobble over the photo's of your lovely dogs but have never posted.

Well, I have a question for you knowledgable lot...

Myself and my long suffering OH would dearly, dearly love a dog but at the moment we both work full-time and aren't in any kind of position to "get back to them at lunchtime" or anything. So I fear it woudn't be fair on a dog to leave it in the house for the whole day, Monday-Friday :(

I was just wondering how everybody else manages? Surely not everyone on the forum is either part-time or not working etc etc? Or maybe they are! (lucky devils!)

I was just curious really to see what other people do?

Thank you muchly x :)

CorvusCorax

Justified & Ancient
Visit site
Hi there.

What breed were you thinking and would the dogs be inside or outside? Would to be in the position to exercise the dog before and after work?
Is there somebody you could rely on or employ to see to the dog during the day, or a doggy-daycare type facility near you?

You might be able to offer a good home to an older rescue, or even better, a pair of rescues- but it would be a matter of finding a rescue who would rehome to someone with working hours like yours.

It would not be an ideal situation for a young pup I'm afraid, they thrive on companionship and early basic training needs to be done early and as part of a routine.

We have kept a dog like that, she was an outdoors dog and was never alone for that amount of time until well into adulthood and she coped well, but I would not recommend it to everyone.

As with everything, it really does depend on the dog.

I do think it is unrealistic to expect only retired/part time workers/the unemployed/house wives or husbands to be the only ones able to own dogs though.

BigRed

Visit site
Two days a week my Mum goes to my house. Two days a week I go home in my lunch hour and on Friday my husband gets home early. In a months time my neighbour will be starting a dog walking business and so I plan to pay her to work for me for a couple of days, so I can swim in my lunch hour.

CAYLA

Visit site
Either a dog walker to break the day up, or an older dog that will as CC suggests gets a good walk from u before u go and a good walk at tea time, I would not go for a young pup though as you will as suggested also want to spend time training it and getting it into a good routine, so I would def go for a dog that would suit your routine, it does not have to be an old codger, u will get plenty that will be happy to stay at home in the mature but no old range:D

blackcob

🖖
Visit site
My partner works full time, I am a full time student (only eight contact hours per week at a local uni) and work evening and weekend shifts so between us she's never left alone.

It's something I need to give thought to as well, given that I will be graduating in 2012 and going into full time employment. By that time our dog will be three and hopefully a little more amenable to being left for longer periods but the MIL has also offered to dogsit, as she only works part time, and would only want a token sum in return as she loves her to bits. We've also discussed getting a second dog as a companion when we can afford a house with a bigger garden. :)

It really does depend on the breed and age, I think; I can't see there ever being a time when ours (Siberian husky) will be happy to be left alone 9-5 every day but it wouldn't be a problem for most greyhounds, for example.

kirstyhen

mysite.wanadoo-members.co.uk
When we got Otto I was working 6 days a week for 4 hours in the morning, so there was no problem at all. He was 5 months old, so a bit more able to hold on to his bladder than a tiny pup.
Now I work 8-5 and OH is out from 7-4/5. Luckily I work 4 minutes walk from the house and I get an hour and a half for lunch. I could also take him into work with me as I work in Boarding Kennels, however I think he is much happier at home than he would be in Kennels. Now we are in a routine, he is happy as larry to be left!
If I couldn't get home to him, I think my Mum would pop in to see him or I would hire a dog walker.

We have lots of Day Boarders in the kennels, that come in because their owners work and don't want to leave them at home all day. One of them has been coming in since he was a pup! He comes in at 7.30 and goes home at 5.30 and has been coming in so long he is completely at home in the kennels, he spends all day asleep. He also gets fairly spoilt by us, as we all love a big, friendly, well behaved dog! :D

blackstar

Visit site
Hello, I am also new to this part of the forum and am a bit of a lurker in general! :p

I work full time. My Mother collects my dog every weekday, or I drop him with her on the way to work, I pick him up again in the evening. I could not have him if she didn't do this. My friend who works full time has a cleaner every morning who lets him out, then a dog walker every afternoon.

My sister though, has just got a boxer pup. She's currently not working, having just married into the army and moved to a new area but is job hunting. When she goes back to work the dog will be left for most of the day, with lunchtime visits. It might be able to go into work with her husband a couple of days a week too. Its not ideal, but I think dogs do get used to a routine. I have heard of people leaving the dog for the full working day, but I think that's unfair and a bit selfish, at the very least I think it needs to either have access to get outside, or be let out by someone, it isn't fair to ask them not to pee for all that time, regardless of any other issues.

bluelady66

Visit site
i bought my shish tsu 9 years ago when i was on long term sick - i kne wi would be off work for at least 9 months so it was the perfect tim eot get a little pup
also shish tsuz do not need lots of exercise - i returned to work part time initially but me and my husband worked different shifts plus i had four children ranging in ages tehn from 17 to 5, eldest were in school or college.
There was always someone at home! Now the eldest have left home and im back full time my dog loves the peace and quiet - he stays in bed (my bed lol) all day and it really doesnt bother him at all.
In fact at weekends when all my children are here he still stays on the bed looking as if to say "oh you can please all just go, i really need my quiet time lol"

Arcazy

Visit site
I would have thought an older dog would be quite happy on the sofa all day - I know for sure older Bull terriers would be in there element tucked up on the sofa all day a quick play in the garden in the evening or a nice stroll and then on your lap for the rest of the evening :D

I am sure quite a few older breeds x breeds would be happy with that arrangement, just have to have back up mind in case they are ever poorly and need extra attention :)

FestiveSpirit

Visit site
I work full time and cannot get home at lunchtime at the moment - my solution is to have greyhounds :D They come out with me before work, sleep all day, and come out with me in the evening - they are very happy with their routine (I have video evidence to prove that they do sleep and dont stress :p) and are really suited to this way of life :)

GinaGem

Visit site
I'm quite lucky and can take mine to work. We don't leave them more than 4 hours if we go out but I'm sure Bes could prob cope with 8 if really necessary, she hardly gets up during the day anyway (greyhound x saluki x whippet). Dom is a bit more needy of actual mental stimulation but he's got Collie in his cross we think, he spends quite a bit of time outside, wandering about.

Ranyhyn

Visit site
I have always had dogs and always had to work. I would always sacrifice on size and choose to have two ideally, as my two amuse themselves all day quite happilly - I would never go back to one lone dog all day.

I leave stuffed Kongs for mine, their toys only come out for when Im not in (which adds 'value' to their toys. I give them a good walk morning and evening and they are fine! Bright coats, wet noses, clear eyes and no mess/destruction speaks volumes. Nowerdays when I leave for work they are almost happy - as its toy and kong time!!

If I were you choose an older dog, I was lucky with mine in their early months as they were very little trouble but I know now to my cost that that isn't always the case. You could pay a dogwalker yes, and of course that would help - maybe even 3 times a week to break up their days. The main thing I found was exercise, dogs are animals which need to move, once they have filled that purpose they seem to be very happy to sleep for a wee while - but a well excercised dog, is a happy dog :)

Good luck with whatever you decide, all I can say is my dogs are the light of my life - I couldnt be without them.

Taffyhorse

Visit site
Yup, ours is although I don't like it and it wasn't supposed to be like that but that's life as they say!!

I leave the house around 8.30 and OH gets home at 4. Freddie is walked for an hour before I go to work and taken out again for a quick wee before I actually leave. OH walks him for an hour when he gets home, he gets another 20 mins run round the woods around 8pm and a last wee at 10pm. I leave the radio on for him in the daytime and a piece of paddywhack and a couple of toys.

He's fine and generally sleeps all day. I would add that I try and work from home one day a week and if one of us has to start early/work late, one of us takes an extended lunch and comes home to let him out. If this isn't possible, our neighbours are pretty good at helping out - they will come and get him and he will spend the afternoon with them - stalking their cat and jumping in their pond mostly :) He's spending most days with them this week as the weather is hot and whilst the house doesn't get too warm it can feel a bit stuffy and I prefer to know he's in the fresh air.

He's a 3yr old Border Collie

littlemisslauren

Visit site
QR- OH works crazy shifts so we are rarely both at work at the same time! When he works away Betsy will be let out of her crate be fed and taken for wees and poops at about half 6. She is allowed plenty of 'chill out with mammy' time before I go to work, She is still a baby and really thrives on human attention. She goes in the crate with toys and kongs at about 7.45, then I pop home for my lunch at 12 and at 1pm she is back in the crate untill 5pm max.

At first I felt horrible and cruel leaving her alone while she is so tiny, but she seems to enjoy the routine.... when her daddy is in the only routine he sticks to is feed times!

Megan_T

Visit site
Thank you so much everyone for the replies. It's really interesting to hear all the different situations you have and how you all manage.

To be honest, I was expecting an "absolutely not" as a general answer so have been pleasantly surprised by the range of situations and answers you guys have given me. Certainly lots to think about!

It's not something that will be happening in the immediate future, but it's nice to think that with some hard work and organization, we might be able to have one one day even though we're both working full time.

I didn't know you could "day board" dogs at kennels for instance, that was a surprise!

Luckily I love my exercise and being outdoors, so getting up at silly 'oclock to go out walking etc would never be a problem - so if exercise and mental stimulation really is the key, hopefully I'd be alright there!

Spudlet

Visit site
Before I could take him to work with me, I used to leave Henry in the car and walk him at lunchtime - but there are some provisos to this:

A. I work in a very rural area with no passing traffic so I can leave the windows open all the way and the boot lid up (he's hooked onto a car harness so he can't escape)

B. There are enough trees and bushes around the carpark that there are spots that get day-round shade - which is where I parked

He got used to it, he had a kong which I would re-stuff at lunchtime, and while it wasn't ideal it did work. I do prefer having him under my desk, but I'm lucky to have that option!

If necessary, I would day-board.

Megan_T

Visit site
Spudlet, can I ask - what type of dog is yours?

Sadly my OH has his heart set on a springer (he had one a few years ago who had to be PTS at 16 :(). He knows full well how much stimulation they need etc. I wonder if one wouldn't be the best type for our first dog and one that might perhaps have to spend some time alone.

I hope you haven't said in a previous post and I've missed it. Apologies if so. I'm a dunce!

Kellys Heroes

Visit site
Both my parents work full time and I am away at uni most of the time..
We have a 10 year old GSD and an 8 year old Golden Retriever - its always been like that - my Grandma was able to nip down for an hour during the day to see them when they were pups, but they've always seemed to cope being left since about 7am till 12pm then 1pm to 4pm.

Then again, I think because we have two they occupy each other and tbh now I'm home from uni they do just seem to sleep most of the day!
When they were puppies we left them with plenty of toys and things to do (the Goldie still destroyed things of course!) and made sure we got them when we were in a position to be at home quite a lot for a few weeks.
Not ideal I'm sure but they've been perfectly fine :) Ours now get walked 3 times a day, with a trip out once a week somewhere and the Goldie hasa hydro session once a fortnight.

If you're just looking for one dog, I wouldn't recommend a dog which would need a lot of mental stimulation constantly or a lot of exercise.
Its difficult being a working household and having dogs, but it can be done :)

quirky

Visit site
When we first got our Pointers, my OH and I both worked full time.

We installed a dog flap, after making sure the garden was secure.
The dog flap was actually big enough that a person could fit through, very handy when I locked my keys in the house :p:D but my Mum always used to worry about burglars not sure why, she lived 100+ miles away :D.
We just hoped the dogs, with big barks, would put off anybody who thought about trying.

Anyway, it never happened and it was a successful choice for us :).

Spudlet

Visit site
He's a cocker :) The car thing was only ever a stopgap though, wouldn't have suited him permanently;)

kirstyhen

mysite.wanadoo-members.co.uk
Megan, Otto is a Springer and whilst when he was younger he really wouldn't have coped, he is very well settled on his routine now. He gets plenty of runs - at least an hour of complete off the lead romping a day - the odd on the lead walk, lots of playing in the house and garden and plenty of training!
If you do your research and look for an older, more laid-back Springer then it's not so unrealistic! As long as you realise how much stimulation they need, and avoid dogs with a lot of working/field trailing dogs in their pedigrees!

They can suffer with quite extreme seperation anxiety as a breed, but as long as you introduce it properly they can cope. Otto didn't used to settle on his own, he smashed more the one crate to bits, but now he happily trots into his crate in the morning, curls up and stays put until I get home!