I'm moving..Who knows about Lichfield/ Staffs area? Eques centres/places to work/ride

Racing_Gal

Visit site
So, OH has had a big promotion at work, which is great for him and I'm so proud of him but the job is in Lichfield, 2 hours away from where we are now (Cheshire). He has to live within 15 miles of the job to be allowed a company car, plus he starts work at 530am so comuting isnt really an option. So it looks like we are moving, he's really excited about his new job and i'm happy for him but moving down there doesnt apeal to me at all. When i think of that area I think 'Birmingham' and whne i think of Birmingham I think 'Urgh!'. I'm a contry girl inside and out, I love where I live now. I'm sure I'll get to like it, I'm not against change but my main worry is finding a job there. I'm a groom and i have been since I left school 12 years ago, I have days where I wish for an office job but in relality I cant imagine doing anything else. I have been freelance for the last 4 year and love it.

Freelancing is not going to be an option to start with, I need steady money coming in. I have that here but it has taken me years to build up my client list, and as I wont know anyone in Lichfield, and they wont of heard of me, I will be starting from scratch. Ive been googling but cant seem to find out much about the area. for instance, is it very horsey? Are any pro riders or big equestrian centres based there?

We are hopefully going for a look round at the weekend but have no where to start as we dont know the area at all. He has to start his new job at the end of July, I have comitments here unti the second week of August so wont be going with him until then, I hate the idea of us living apart, there is already some tention there between us when we talk about all this, we never argue and I dont want this to start of it :(

martlin

www.martlinequestrian.co.uk
Well, when you think Lichfield, think more Stafford than Birmingham, Lichfield is small and quite quaint, really :) Plenty of countryside and horsified villages around, there are racehorse trainers, Pool house vets, biggish equestrian centres etc. Eland Lodge is in easily commuting distance.
For a start up job sort of with horses, how about enquiring at Uttoxeter racecourse? it's not far at all :)
Are you going to be living in Lichfield itself?

Racing_Gal

Visit site
This makes me fel much better! We have no idea where we are goingto live, just that it will have to be within 15 miles of Lichfield. Are there any areas you would recommend? i'd rather be north of Lichfield as it will be slightly closer to home :)

I will google the places you mentioned, I'm emailing my CV out to all the places I can find in the area as we type!

partyangel

www.freewebs.com
We live in Lichfield . Richard davidson is near , janette brakewell is in uttoxeter and there's a couple more eveters around here. Eland lodge equestrian, curbrough equestrian, rodbaston college, field house equestrian . Plenty of equestrian centres.

3bh

Visit site
A bit north of Lichfield up the A38 is Burton on Trent area which is where i am, as others have said it is surprisingly horsey, in the countryside areas every other house seems to have a block of stables. What is it that you do freelance?

Saucisson

Visit site
I had some lessons here many moons ago. Very business-like, good instructors and 4 schools if I remember correctly (although one inside school was a bit "reserve").

http://www.ingestre.com/

I was just a wannabe rider with cash but I was very impressed with the BHS students who taught me and the horses.

The one thing that's always stuck in my mind is an outdoor school incorporating XC jumps and tracks in and out - great fun!

Why don't more places do that? You do a jump then circle/school then off for another. Great fun but also great for control.

I got the impression it was a place that catered for all abilities. To be honest, there's not many places I've been too where I've had that feeling........

Last edited:

martlin

www.martlinequestrian.co.uk
Well, when you think Lichfield, think more Stafford than Birmingham, Lichfield is small and quite quaint, really :) Plenty of countryside and horsified villages around, there are racehorse trainers, Pool house vets, biggish equestrian centres etc. Eland Lodge is in easily commuting distance.
For a start up job sort of with horses, how about enquiring at Uttoxeter racecourse? it's not far at all :)
Are you going to be living in Lichfield itself?

I used to live in Uttoxeter and then in Hill Ridware, I've only actually been to Lichfield on shopping trips and a bit of sightseeing when I had to amuse visiting, non-horsey mother. Cannock Chase is very nice and all the villages between Rugeley and Uttoxeter - Abbots Bromley is lovely, all the ridwares are very rural, Colton is a delightful village, too. Milford is beautiful, next door to Shugborough estate.
There is a race yard in Longdon... what is his name... don't remember, but they also have a stud and always look for staff.

Last edited:

Brummyrat

Visit site
I used to live in Uttoxeter and then in Hill Ridware, I've only actually been to Lichfield on shopping trips and a bit of sightseeing when I had to amuse visiting, non-horsey mother. Cannock Chase is very nice and all the villages between Rugeley and Uttoxeter - Abbots Bromley is lovely, all the ridwares are very rural, Colton is a delightful village, too. Milford is beautiful, next door to Shugborough estate.
There is a race yard in Longdon... what is his name... don't remember, but they also have a stud and always look for staff.

It was Reg Hollinshead many years ago, not sure who's there now, maybe still him or a family member. Agree with everyone, Im only five miles from Lichfield at its beautiful and there's plenty of countryside and horses around plus a good road network to get anywhere. As well as other trainers mentioned, Patsy Bartram is based in Rosliston so she may know of someone who needs help, or you could try Tim Marsland at Middleton. Seriously, don't be on a downer about lovely Lichfield :) Oh and well done your OH!

EmmaB

Visit site
I live in Rugeley, and like everyone else says the whole area is quite horsey with quite a few equestrian centres. There was a job going on a yard in Lichfield, saw it on Ingestre's site, event groom, heres the link incase its any good to you http://www.ingestre.com/Vacancies.html

Don't worry Lichfield is actually quite nice :D

pony&cow

Visit site
Im a bit late getting on this one but lichfield is lovely. Not like birmingham at all!!!!! Really nice small city. I live in a village near Rugeley and love it here. Keep us updated on your move. : )

Greylegs

Visit site
Like 3bh, I'm near Burton on Trent as well. Lichfield is lovely and definitely not Birmingham!! The long list of horsey venues and folks already given by other HHOers in the area, says it all. Loads of horsey people and places so no need to fear moving down here ... We're a nice lot and very horsey. Come and join us ...