Im new, and needing advice

becksten

Visit site
Hi all, im new to this forum and needing a little advice. I have just bought a 16month old clydesdale X Cob gelding. And im wondering how big he will grow (as his owners didnt know, and sold him as a 3yr old!). He is approx 13.3hh Now, and still looks like a baby. I know that big heavy breeds are still growing at 5yrs old. I had a guess that he'd make 15hh. Some ppl on the yard say 14hh and others say 16hh. Any ideas? Thanks x

hayleygunson

Visit site
Hiya!!! Welcome to the forum!!! You'll soon be addicted - it's amazing!!!
grin.gif
tongue.gif
grin.gif
When are you going to break him in - or has he already been broken???

BB2008

Visit site
Agree good to leave him until he is at least 3 - and heavier breeds do take that little longer to mature so I like your 'until he's ready'!! My guess would be between 15.2-16hh depends on parentage and stuff like that as well. Always difficult to tell though my old ID/TB was 13.2 as a yearling then shot to 17.2hh as an adult!!! Good luck - I've just bought a 2 and half year old so have all the training, handling and breaking ahead of me as well!!

becksten

Visit site
No idea on his parents heights. Sorry! But i would have thought the clydesdale side would be no smaller than 16/17hh. I am going to try and track down his previous owners to find out more about his background.