I'm not saying I'm the only one capeable of dealing with him.............

LauraWheeler

Visit site
But I do wonder sometimes if I'm the only one who would want to deal with him.

Been thinking alot about Herbie lately. Had some comments from people I know asking why I keep him or when am I going to sell him on. Also been thinking alot about the thread I posted just before xmas when I got slated for calling him "The horrid one"
I am keeping Herbie forever. after all he's been through I just couldn't pass him on but I have been thinking worst case sinario and what if I couldn't keep him anymore. :eek:

Quick background for those who don't know Herbies story

[youtube]MfFtecxiKp0[/youtube]

Anyway I was just wondering if there were any mad people out there like me who would actualy want a pony like Herbie bearing in mind.

1. He is still unpredictable to ride and handle and probably always will be so he will never be sutable as a childs pony.

2. His tempermant and afew of his bad habits mean he couldn't be a driving pony.

3. He can't be a companion pony as he is agressive twords other horses and HAS to have a field of his own. (I don't just mean he is abit mean he is honestly proper agressive to anything that goes in his field except for he. He chases the dogs and the otherday I even saw him trying to stamp on a little bird that had landed in his field :eek: )

4. He is only about 12.2hh, 13hh max.

The list could go on and on with all his little querks.

Don't get me wrong I love him so much, more than anyone could ever understand and we have come along way from the pony he was the day he arrived. But it's a very long slow road to recovery after all his been through.

Please no harsh comments or crit I don't need it thankyou. I'm just genuinly wondering if there others like me out there who have ponies like him and keep them forever.

For all the Herbie fans out there here's a video I made for him at the weekend. Everytime I hear this song I think of Herbie and I ;)

[youtube]-vY_KYoSb5Y[/youtube]
:D:D:D

Tormenta

Visit site
I think the worry is that with difficult horses and ponies that it is not the fact that their handlers think they are the only one that can cope with them, I think it is the worry of them being passed on, misunderstood and ending up goodness knows where. That is why with one of my mares she would never be passed on. I could not sleep at night not knowing where her life may end and not knowing if the promise I made that she would never suffer again has been broken.

LauraWheeler

Visit site
Tormenta This is my fear with Herbie and why I say he isn't ever going anywhere. He was passed around enough before I got him. I couldn't bare the thought of that happening to him again. :( He could also easily end up being mistreated. He's not a normal pony who would be scared either he would fight back which would probably make things worse.
Trouble is alot of people don't see this and think I could easily get rid of him :mad: :(

nostromo70

Visit site
Sometimes i do think people give up on there horses to quickly. Of cause it not always practically them to keep the horse. But i have the up most respect for those that do try as hard as they canto make there horses right. It can

nostromo70

Visit site
Sometimes i do think people give up on there horses to quickly. Of cause it not always practically them to keep the horse. But i have the up most respect for those that do try as hard as they can to make their horses right. It
can be a long hard road but also a rewarding one. So good for you for persevering.

SuperCoblet

Visit site
I know exactly what you mean and I have the same problem with gypsy, ok he's super good 99% of the time now, however it has taken me 4 years to get him to gain my trust while on his back and do things that he really wouldn't have wanted to 3 years ago. However he still is unpredictable, like on Sunday we were show jumping and while waiting he just randomly reared up a few times and tried to tank off and I can cope because I know him and how to deal with it. Stick anyone else on him and I just don't think they'll 'get' him. And for that reason he will never be sold on, no matter how big I am on him!

I had a text the other day from a friend who sold on her pony a bit like gypsy because they couldn't cope with him, but understood his ways, asking if I knew anyone who wanted him as his new owners (despite being told everything about him) couldn't cope and were taking him to the sales.
I just couldn't let that happen to gypsy and I'm sure thats how you feel about herbs.
Lovely video and I'm a big fan of herbster :D

ebonyallen

Visit site
Laura, thank you so much for sharing that. Even though I have been on here a few years I have picked up little bits of your story, but never knew the whole amount. I am truly amazed at what you have done, and towards the end it brought a tear to my eye. It just goes to show with the right attitude and a lot of very hard work things can get better, but you have to put the work in, and you have really done this I am really inspired by what you both have come through and are now doing. Fantastic story it makes me think that when I feel like giving up just keep on going and things can get better, you have proved that. Well done the pair of you. x

LauraWheeler

Visit site
nostromo70 You are right. Everyone gave up on Herbie before. They just didn't understand him. As I said he's not your average pony and you often need to think outside the box. ;)

SuperCoblet thankyou :). I hope your friends horse finds a nice home. One of my biggest fears for Herbie is him being passed around again. He's been though that enough already. No horse deserves to be shoved from piller to post. I'm shore Part of the reason it took so long to bond with Herbie was because he thought I was just going to get rid of him. :( Glad you liked the video :D

LauraWheeler

Visit site
ebonyallen Thankyou so much for your kind comment :) It's always worth it in the end. Doesn't always feel like it at the time and afew times I have been in tears wondering why I put myself though it all but then I just look at Herbie and know I have to do it for him and it will all be worth it in the end. :)

LauraWheeler

Visit site
nostromo70 no worries the spelling and gammer police arn't allowed here.
I'm dyslexic so I don't notice anyway ;) :p :D

navaho thankyou and he's my magical colour changing pony :p :D

eatmyshorts

Visit site
I think it is admirable and wish there were more like you. Your pony is very lucky. It's all too easy to pass a "problem" on. I've rehabbed horses who have had people problems (bolters, buckers, rearers etc) and only ever"failed" with one - although the wife of a friend who is a well known horse person assures me I didn't fail, I knew when to stop trying, at a point where he hadn't killed himself, me, or anyone else. This "dangerous maniac" as he was described when I took him on, has a heartbreaking story which includes being kept in a stable with live electric fencing round it, being beaten, starved, ear twitched (he has m,any scars) and it took a long time to get his tense and sore body comfortable. We healed his body, his mind was too far gone. We conquered the loading issue (he trusts me now and has forgotten or forgiven the lesson someone tried to teach him in the past by whipping him before even approaching the trailer - with patience and understanding he is a complete star to travel now), but being ridden was just too much for him to cope with. I dread to think where he'd end up if I passed him on, so I never will. He is a happy and beautiful paddock ornament now, my Chief Cuddle Monster and will never hear a harsh word again.

Last edited:

LauraWheeler

Visit site
eatmyshorts A lovely story :). What a lucky horse he is to have found you. Others may force him to be ridden (Or try to anyway). Alot of dealing with problem horses is understanding there querks and working with them. you just can't fix everything all the time. I do wish more people would see that. You havn't failed you still have him and he is safe and that's all that realy matters :)

Coldfeet!

Visit site
I think you deserve a massive pat on the back, you have really turned him around, you have an amazing bond and you can tell he really trusts you.
If you ever did have to sell the only advice I could give is in the run up get as many kind calm people to handle and possible ride him as you can so he can learn to trust others.

At least then it wont be too difficult for him to adjust to a new owner, doesnt look like much of a "problem pony" to me anymore! Perhaps nt for a novice owner but no reason why an experienced loving owner couldnt have as much fun with him as you are.

Well done again you should be very proud.

lachlanandmarcus

Visit site
You are the sort of horse owner who should be getting the awards and medals. It takes far more skills to put an unhappy horse right than it does to ride an easy horse and win lots of prizes.

I take my hat off to you, and hope you and Herbie have a happy future long into the years ahead. Xxxx

Equilibrium Ireland

Visit site
To be fair, I do think there are horses in the world most would not want to deal with. For whatever reason they are difficult to deal with. Not like, only I can handle my baby. They just are. That doesn't mean they can't be good partners, just that having an easier horse is more enjoyable. And for everybody that's different.

I sent my mare away for jumper training. And one of the reasons is so I could get out of my head that only I do a good job. Abba was my "special child " from birth. So I also thought sending her away would be good for both of us. Despite seeing her daily things apparently happened behind the scenes which I did not know about. So now I really do not care about outside opinions. I'm not perfect or great but lets just say I'll never trust another person with my horses again. Now all of mine could go somewhere else and function just fine. Abba on the other hand is just not so straight forward. She has her ways, I can deal with them and we both know where we stand. But for many people I can't imagine she would be fun. She's odd but predictable if you know her. So I really would worry about her if she went somewhere.

OP, I've read the Herbie stories and watched your vids. No he's never been easy nor will he be. But you've stuck by him and accept him for who he is. And that is key when dealing with difficult horses. They may never be perfect no matter how good you are. But if you can work around them to get the best out of them, there is no better feeling. That little bit of try makes all the other stuff insignificant. Don't get frustrated. You've done a super job and both of you are lucky.

Terri

Antw23uk

Visit site
Equilibrum Ireland I think you just summed up my mare. She is odd but predictable once you know her so thanks for that :)

OP credit to you for sticking with him. You have actually inspired me more than you will ever know today and I cant wait to get down the yard tonight and see my mare and give her a big cuddle :) ... Well when i say cuddle i mean acctually just saying 'cuddle' to her .. an actual cuddle would probably result in my death :p

Having a horse that has its own mind and thinks for itself (good and bad thoughts) is a challenge like no other but man once you have them on side its an amazing feeling :)

I'm still bonding with my mare, I adore her but she was and still can be the witch from hell! A new livery was saying goodbye last night and she meant well but she kept trying to stroke my mare and she didnt like it ... told her with ears back and a 'I can bite lady back off' look and i had said (like i do to everyone new) that she isnt really a good horse to fuss, she can bite and she can kick etc ... This poor lady didnt get the hint until she got bitten :eek: It was only then she looked at me and said "oh your right, she isnt that nice is she" ... At which point my mare stepped forward to the stable door where i was leaning and gave me a lovely big smacker of a kiss to prove her wrong :D Im sure my mare was saying sorry for biting her dad but she did ask for it .. love you though, have a kiss Lol :D

LauraWheeler

Visit site
horsesatemymoney thankyou.

Coldfeet! Thankyou your right he's more of a Special pony now ;) He has his querks but they are no where near as bad as when I first got him unless he's in a perticuly bad mood that is but if that happens I just leave him alone. You can always tell very quickly what sort of mood he's in ;) My main worry would be his size. He realy is an adults pony or very very expereanced teenager but would they realy want a weener of a pony :(

lachlanandmarcus Thankyou :eek: When he has a good day we do win. I came third showjumping once and someone outside the ring commented how I was the happyest person on the showground and I hadn't even come first. My OH explained to her what Herbie is like and she then understood why a third place can mean more to someone than the person who got first place. ;) :p :D

Equilibrium Ireland Thankyou. Trouble is most people think all horses are the same and you deal with them all the same way. Herbie has some similer problems to Lucy when I first got her but I have to approach them in a diffrent way than I did with Lucy. They may have had similer problems but they are compleatly diffrent ponies. ;) I get so many "This will sort him out" talks from people I know and when I calmly explain why there way won't work with Herbie they look at me like i'm mad, because it worked on there horse it must work with every horse :rolleyes:

Magicmillbrook

Visit site
I think you are inspirational. Herbie is lucky to have you (as you are to have him). We have had a few 'special' horses over the years and whilst others may be able to handle them, they might not understand the behavior.

Re calling him the horrid one. I would see it as a term of endearment. We call my daughters horse Bill 'Butt head Bill'. Thing is he is now gets called 'The Butt Head' by others too! I recon when we finally register his show name we will have no other choice....

LauraWheeler

Visit site
Antw23uk That made me laugh :D your mare has personality, sounds like my kinda girl ;) Is she chestnut? I do like a horse with a mind of it's own. Lucy deffinatly had a mind of her own and it helped HER get us both out of some tricky situations I got us into, esp out hunting ;) :eek:

LauraWheeler

Visit site
Magicmillbrook thankyou and it's deff more of a term of endearment now. In the post the person said if I just called him the "gorgous one" all the problems would be fixed as I would see him as a better pony so he would behave better. :rolleyes: If only it were that simple :rolleyes: ;) :p lol re the show name. Bet noone else has a horse called The But head ;) :p :D Lucys show name at one point was going to be evil satanic Bi*** from hell, In the end I opted for Crystal Rosette, though ;) :p :D

Shutterbug

Visit site
I think that little guy has landed on his feet with you Laura - I think you are just what he needed and the changes you are seeing in him are the result of the work you have done with him and the trust he now has in you is obvious to see - when I watched your video he went from trying to eat you while you were grooming him to trying to groom you back and that was so lovely to see although it did make me giggle. Well done for sticking it out with him and giving him the security he so obviously needs in his life. :)

Equilibrium Ireland

Visit site
Ant, yes mares, they do keep you honest. Mine makes terrible faces and hates being loved on from outside the stable. As soon as you crawl under the chain and go to give her her brush over, she's a peaceful lamb. And the thing that will put her to sleep is sorting out her tail. She loves her tail done. But try and stand outside her space and she tells you where to go. At feed time she is the only one who I have to tell to go stand in front of her pot. Usually I have to point and say, "and the butt". She then promptly moves and is like, ok already, come on I'm hungry. But I know the second something isn't right with her and more often than not I get her head in my chest telling me things aren't right.

OP, you're so very right. When people say to me, oh just a smack will sort that out or if you just did this, I let it go. I really don't need to explain myself. I'm not a robot and I don't expect my horses to be. It's up to me to figure out what works best with each individual. One size does not fit all. And if I needed that kind of horse I wouldn't be in the business I'm in. But all mine are 100% u/s and try to very hard to please. Well except the 3yo because she's not u/s! So you know, I just keep them all safe and deal with them as individuals. I'm really glad Herbie ended up with you!

Terri

Jill Crewe

Visit site
the otherday I even saw him trying to stamp on a little bird that had landed in his field :eek:

First of all - this made me laugh out loud at work :D:D

My friend and I were chatting yesterday about something lovely someone said to us the other day...we have both been having problems with our horses recently. She has a young TB who had obviously been beaten about a bit as he would rush to the back of his stable when she got him - he is now the lovliest, most trustworthy, gentlest soul you could ever meet - but he has had ongoing little issues with lameness. My new boy had been neglected by a previous owner...since I've had him he's had to have two teeth out due to disease and was unable to eat hay when he came to me. Our yard manager said that sometimes certain horses come to us for a reason - which I thought was a really lovely thought and you will understand from your time with Lucy and Herbie.

IF your life situation ever changed so much that you were unable to keep Herbie - you would work out the best thing to do because you love him. There would be several options and you would do right by him. But of course you're not mad keeping him forever - you belong to each other :)

Last edited:

LauraWheeler

Visit site
Hevs thankyou.

Equilibrium Ireland So may people tell me to just smack Herbie. Not always a good idea as if you smacked him when he realy didn't deserve it. i.e for just a cheeky nip, (not a full on agressive bite) he will just turn round and kick you. Some people seem to get cross as I do let some things slid with Herbie that other horses would get told off for. But with him it's all about picking your battles. ;)

Jill Crewe He stamps on Rabbits to :eek: I was poo picking his paddock once while Herbs was in the yard. his paddock was full of wild life. Birds rabbits ect. They all took no notice of me nomatter how much noise I made. I finished and went to get Herbie. As I lead him across the other field I noticed his paddock was emptying rather quickly. :p That is a lovely thought. Both Herbie and Lucy came into my life at I time I needed them and hove both helped me through some very tough times. (Herbie helped me through the loss of Lucy) So I believe that is true and works both ways :)

mandwhy

Visit site
Aww, well I love a naughty pony personally, I think even if they're a rubbish companion they're still worth having and heck, he's cute!

My horse is not exactly difficult, can be mareish but she's very good really, she needs to have boundaries maintained at all times and I would be very careful about selling her for that reason, I think she could end up really ruined by someone who babied her too much, as she can definitely be bolshy and even aggressive if she thinks you are not someone to be respected! I can well imagine what might happen with a very awkward one!

Glad Herbie has someone who loves him even if he is horrid (also don't think he cares what you call him even if HHO people did, he's a pony!).