I'm really sorry - Heavy Weight turnouts?

StormyMoments

Visit site
Huff - I know this has been done so many times, I have looked through so many threads my eyes have gone square but can anyone help me?

I need a heavyweight turnout for Rio and it has turned out to be an impossible task...

He is 15.1hh and takes a 5'6 - 5'9 rug, he is an Andalusian stallion so he has huge shoulders, a high set neck and a big crest... I will see if I can find a photo to attach to show you what I mean.

I cannot find a heavyweight with a neck (preferably with detachable neck) which sits right without digging in or strangling him - I have bought and sent back so many rugs that I really am loosing the plot!

He has a lot of rugs and usually Weatherbeeta and Amigo rugs fit him the best but in heavy - not at all.

The Weatherbeeta Freestyle (he has it in medium and fits lovely) I had to have the buckles and clips on the last holes, a chest expander and sheepskin over the straps to stop it rubbing and even then it was too tight and digging in when he put his head down.

The Amigo Bravo 12 (he has the Hero 6 medium which is fine) far too small around his neck and ended up getting pulled forward and up his neck all the time.

So then I tried:
Masta rugs - nope
Premier Equine? - I couldn't even get the front close to doing up
Amigo XL - too big in 5'9 and don't do 5'6
Bucas - too small around the neck
Horsewear Rhino - the necks is too small to do up
Mark Todd rugs slip on him
Bridleway rugs - too small through the neck
Shires - don't even touch him

So then I thought maybe a Rambo? but the neck doesn't look that big... I don't want to spend £300 on a rug for him - In all honesty I don't have £300 to spend on a rug but I suppose if I have to, I will but I really don't to have to send back yet another rug :(

So I'm feeling a little lost and a little depressed - not just about the rugs but horses in general and this is the icing on the cake.

Any ideas?

024_zpsedb0150f.jpg

Couple of years back but you get the picture!

eggs

Visit site
Bucas do do an extra large neck on their rugs which may be your answer. They also do a chest expander to give you some extra room.

meesha

Visit site
I have a derby house one which is generous but not sure it would do the job for you! You can get chest expanders, would these work on the neck?

Splashy pony

Visit site
Rambo are bigger than Amigos but not sure the neck space is wider.
Try ebay rather than £300?
How about one of those chest expanders to open up the neck?
One with a half neck worked for my wide cob.

LittleGinger

Visit site
He's beautiful :)

Could you layer rather than having a dedicated HW? Sorry; I have no other suggestions right now as you have tried all of the brands that suit my PRE! She doesn't ever wear a HW though - even at -4 last year she was warm enough in a 250g Masta Turnoutmasta (the layering one).

My Welsh cob has some fantastic Fal HWs - do you know anyone with a Fal who'd maybe let you try it? I love them - replaced all of Ginger's weatherbeeta's with them.

Last edited:

CBAnglo

Visit site
Can you buy a rug that fits and get a larger neck separately? I used to this with my CB who was built like a stallion when in full work (now he is retired all the necks are too big!)

Shavings

Visit site
H-zone they do some lovely rugs with big cut shoulders
If not there then the big horse shop! They do rugs for larger breeds so the extra room might be all he needs :) they both have websites
Best of luck!!
He is stunning!

Toffee44

Visit site
http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_n...&geo_id=32251&keyword=axiom+horse+rugs&crdt=0

Axiom are very generous on their sizing. I struggle not to get tightness on my mares whithers as she has a very high shoulder. And she has room to spare in this rug. If you do a search on here the reviews are amazing. Mine has just had its first reproof in 4 years and look brand new again. It was only reproofed because I felt it should be after 4 years. It was not leaking

Primitive Pony

Visit site
Second the Bucas rugs - might be just the shape. And their new system (freedom?) means it might not be too pricey as you can buy a l/w with liners.

silv

Visit site
Is there anywhere in the Uk still making canvas rugs? if so it would be easy for them to make one made to measure. They are still common over here in NZ although they are more expensive a good one will last 10yrs plus. you can easily get them to make a neck rug to go with it.

StormyMoments

Visit site
Thank you everyone for your suggestions, generally the actual necks for the rugs are ok, it's how tight they are when you do the buckles on the chest up... I can't even get a finger under the rug by his withers in most of the rugs I have tried so he can't put his head down. If he didn't need a heavy I wouldn't but he really struggles with the cold and the rugs he has already just wouldn't fit if I layered :(

Mitchyden

Visit site
Not sure if someone has posted this already but have you tried the Weatherbeeta Original? I have only ever bought the Freestyle rugs once and I found them too restrictive so went back to the originals.

Annagain

Visit site
Fal Rugs are good for wide shouldered horses. My old boy was and my current one is big shouldered and Fals fit(ted) them very well.

Are you sure 5'6" / 5'9" is right for him? My old boy a 14hh, very chunky Sec D took a 5'9" so that seems quite small for a big 15.1? Maybe going up a size (or even two?) would help as it would allow for more of the length of the rug to be taken up in the chest and shoulder?

I'm surprised at the PE ones as they're the other make that suit my horse very well.

HollyWoozle

www.farandride.com
I'm another one who would give an Axiom rug from eBay a go! They have the most spacious necks of any rugs we've had here and I love them for it. I also find them to be quite spacious around the shoulders. Don't get me wrong though, my horses are not snazzy Andalusians and are nowhere near as delightful as yours! But you could give one a go and if it didn't fit, you could just resell it and not lose much as they're not expensive anyway.

tootsietoo

Visit site
Can't help with what to buy, but I would just say don't bother with a Rambo. I have a 5'9" Rambo with detachable neck cover which my 14.2 hunter pony used to wear. Put it on my 14.2 Welsh cob with v. cresty neck yesterday and the neck cover doesn't go anywhere near fitting him.

StormyMoments

Visit site
He has a 6 ft bucas rug which hangs off his bum as it is huge (it's the freedom one?) But it is too tight around the neck so completely strangles him :eek: and he is definitely 5'6 -5'9 he's very short backed :(

Meowy Catkin

Meow!
Visit site
He has a 6 ft bucas rug which hangs off his bum as it is huge (it's the freedom one?) But it is too tight around the neck so completely strangles him :eek: and he is definitely 5'6 -5'9 he's very short backed :(

I'm not surprised, their 'normal' neck rugs fit my horses very well and they are a completely different build to your chap.

LKKB

Visit site
I have a Ruggles 100g, it's generous round the neck (but my boy is a teeny weeny thing compared to yours!). It is very adjustable at the chest fastenings though, both clips and buckles, so it might suit.

Moya_999

Visit site
huff - i know this has been done so many times, i have looked through so many threads my eyes have gone square but can anyone help me?

I need a heavyweight turnout for rio and it has turned out to be an impossible task...

He is 15.1hh and takes a 5'6 - 5'9 rug, he is an andalusian stallion so he has huge shoulders, a high set neck and a big crest... I will see if i can find a photo to attach to show you what i mean.

I cannot find a heavyweight with a neck (preferably with detachable neck) which sits right without digging in or strangling him - i have bought and sent back so many rugs that i really am loosing the plot!

He has a lot of rugs and usually weatherbeeta and amigo rugs fit him the best but in heavy - not at all.

The weatherbeeta freestyle (he has it in medium and fits lovely) i had to have the buckles and clips on the last holes, a chest expander and sheepskin over the straps to stop it rubbing and even then it was too tight and digging in when he put his head down.

The amigo bravo 12 (he has the hero 6 medium which is fine) far too small around his neck and ended up getting pulled forward and up his neck all the time.

So then i tried:
Masta rugs - nope
premier equine? - i couldn't even get the front close to doing up
amigo xl - too big in 5'9 and don't do 5'6
bucas - too small around the neck
horsewear rhino - the necks is too small to do up
mark todd rugs slip on him
bridleway rugs - too small through the neck
shires - don't even touch him

so then i thought maybe a rambo? But the neck doesn't look that big... I don't want to spend £300 on a rug for him - in all honesty i don't have £300 to spend on a rug but i suppose if i have to, i will but i really don't to have to send back yet another rug :(

so i'm feeling a little lost and a little depressed - not just about the rugs but horses in general and this is the icing on the cake.

Any ideas?

024_zpsedb0150f.jpg

couple of years back but you get the picture!

fal 400g

LKKB

Visit site
My Fal (thought I adore it, brilliant rug) rubs the front of my boys shoulders. A bib sorts out problem, but if it rubs my wee part Arab I would be surprised if it doesn't rub your lad.

LadyRascasse

Visit site
Just brought an axiom off ebay for £45 inc postage from recommendations off here. I found them very generous, this is my youngster who is 6ft and all the buckles are on the tightest so plenty of room to let it out some

10547995_10152457069908683_7268363334989685536_o_zps4cb435f8.jpg

And him naked so you can see his build :)
10571959_10152416255413683_728846934145440043_o_zpsafefa01f.jpg

Moya_999

Visit site
My Fal (thought I adore it, brilliant rug) rubs the front of my boys shoulders. A bib sorts out problem, but if it rubs my wee part Arab I would be surprised if it doesn't rub your lad.

I always wash the inside shoulder area and neck area of my FAL rugs, I never have to use a bib so don't have rubs. When rugs get very greasy in those areas any rug with rub.