I'm really struggling

ktj1891

Visit site
My horse has been Transitioning barefoot since last April and by nature is a poor doer and cribs. I have struggled with his weight all this time except in summer when grass seems to be the only thing that gets him looking good!

His diet currently is copra, linseed and kwik beet but it's just not working for him and he is dropping weight. He was on ERS pellets which may put weight back on as he did look better but still not great! He dropped a lot of weight on simple systems and doesn't really like grass pellets so for that reason I am avoiding alfalfa!

Just want to get the balance right but that seems impossible either potentially risk his feet even though he is still transitioning so footy over stones or let him drop weight?

He has recently gone of his bale of hay so I am ordering another to feed adlib again and I may by couple small bales haylage just to kick start him again.

Any suggestions?

ellie11987

Visit site
I'd be inclined to start the ERS pellets again at a good amount. However, whole soaked oats worked well for my barefoot TB. How much linseed do you feed? Could you add extra oil, e.g. sunflower oil? In spring, mine gets 1 scoops speedibeet, 1.5 scoops whole soaked oats, 2 heaped mugs linseed, mag ox, salt and min vit supp split between 2 feeds. She is brought in during the day and has ad lib hay then put out again at night at around 6ish until 6.40am over the summer months which seems to be a good balance between her weight and hooves. She is also worked 5x a week on average which seems to improve her feet as much as her diet.

ktj1891

Visit site
He's on such a high oil feeds I don't want to add anymore he has at least 500g linseed- 2 small square scoops. He has Adlib hay but his new bale is seed hay and he doesn't like it so having to get meadow hay again!