I'm so cross - what you don't want to hear after your've sold..

Angelbones

Visit site
I sold my daughter's 12.1 saint of a pony about 3 weeks ago, to family friends (despite a slight niggle from my inner voice) and it seemed all has gone well. But today I was at an xc event with my daughter on new pony and the aunt of the new owner was doing refreshments. She said to me:

"That little pony is a paragon of virtue, doesn't she have a great personality and a good little pop in her?

Great, I'm thinking, she hasn't disgraced herself but it sounds like they may be jumping bigger courses than I'd imagined at this stage, but its none of my business...

..then she says:

'Shame she's gone down with laminitis'

well i'm afraid I couldn't contain myself. I didn't yell at the lovely aunt who I've always liked, just vented in front of her:

I told them several times, including as I stood there in tears at her departure, that although the pony had never had laminitis, they had to treat her like one in that she hadn't had (grassy) turnout much since last Autumn, that she needed to lose weight, that she was the size she was purely on fresh air and hay, that they please please wouldn't think how nice it would be to turn her out in a nice paddock with the grass coming through just to treat her, etc etc. I have witnesses to this and it was the absolute truth; the pony never ever had lami with us or the previous owners.

So can you imagine how upset I was? How I desperately want to go round there and snatch her back? How I want to call the new owner and tear strips off her? Now I know that perhaps the aunt may not have the full story, that in fact the pony may have jumped into a paddock etc etc (never done anything erratic before but I ought to keep an open mind etc).

I feel sick, god knows its always agonizing for anybody to sell on a superstar family member, but you live in hope that they are being treated properly, and then to hear this is just so upsetting.

Thanks for listening, venting over
crazy.gif

ps she is the little chestnut in my siggie, bless her x

sally87

Visit site
this has happened to me twice!

first time 12hh welsh section a sold to a lady who owned a small riding school, surely she must know enough to prevent a pony getting laminitis- no.

second time 13.3hh new forest jumping machine. i did not want to sell him to the people that bought him but the decision was taken out of my hands by my parents. it was the same niggling voice, not a concrete reason. pony's workload decreased & they decided that he needed to be fed (have never fed him anything except grass & haylage). then he was left in the field overnight (against advice i had given to the girl & her parents before selling him, again no previous laminitis but native pony therefore likely to be prone) for a few nights... pony gets laminitis! he is also now arthritic, essentially due to being overweight. he is still under worked & the girl has decided she doesnt really like ponies after all. gah i want him back!!!

Perfect_Pirouette

Visit site
Aww she looks gorgeous bless her!

Same thing happened to me when i sold my pony, went to visit him a week later and he had laminitis AND had been badly bitten etc by bigger horse in same field, i was devestated and cried right there in front of them! Wanted to snatch him back also.

Although, he did eventually settle really well and i have to admit, had the time of his life with that family. But yes, i would be so cross too.

Skhosu

Visit site
Not what you want to hear but I think you're probably jumping to conclusions, unless the aunt told you how she was being kept? (as it can happen to the best of us!¬)

Moggy in Manolos

Visit site
I can understand you feel distressed about it, laminitis is a nightmare, i have a chronic laminitic, that was mostly due to a loan home she had at a bhs approved riding school too! I am so angry at them for neglecting my beloved mares feet in the year they had her, as my horses life is no doubt going to be cut shorter due to that damage.
She has not had an acute attack of laminitis since i have had her back,her feet have come on leaps and bounds but the underlaying damage has been done
frown.gif

ginger111

Visit site
I felt really sad when I heard about your old pony. I have a little pony who has to be really watched with regards to his grass intake. (To be honest most ponys do!) I would have thought her new owners would have known better! Let's hope we're worrying about nothing...

Steeleydan

Visit site
I feel really sorry for you. you and your familiy must have loved and cared for this pony enormousley. If it was me I would have to go round to see them ASAP, its going to fester in your mind if you dont. I wouldnt be bothered about dropping the aunt in it for telling the tale. Just tell them exactly what said aunt told you and say that you are concerned for your pony, and explain how ponies are prone to lami, and need careful monitoring over spring time when grass is pretty lush. Maybe its that new owners are just ignorant to the fact and need educating. Keep us updated on what happens next.