I'm sure this has been asked before... Shavings!

rosiesowner

Visit site
A simple question really, which brand of shavings are the most cost effective?

I'm potentially taking on a new loan horse, which is very exciting. However, this time I'll be on D.I.Y livery and so can choose what kind of bedding I use! (It may be sad, but it's exciting to me after five years of full livery where I had no say in the rubbishy straw pony was put on :D)

So to cut to the chase, what shavings does everyone use? They need to be relatively quick to muck out and cost effective. Right now I'm siding on Bedmax as I have experience with them and like them, but if anyone has any slightly cheaper options do let me know! The viewing is on Saturday, and the owner wants to know all about the new yard and how the horse will be kept which is fair enough. Fingers crossed...

Thank you! Oh, and if you managed to get to the end of a whole two paragraphs about shavings I applaud you ;)

HufflyPuffly

Visit site
It depends on what price your local supplier can get them for. We've used Snowflake for years, not the cheapest (about £6.98 currently), but I have just switched to Thoroughbred for the same price. Big'ish flakes and no dust, Snowflake had been getting dustier in my experiance!

However we also use wood pellets under the wee spots, make sure they are mucked out early and their beds are then left up for the day (all on mats). This means 2 use one bag of shavings a week and the baby can go two weeks before her bed needs topping up, though we probably also use a bag of pellets a week too between them.

Damnation

Visit site
Provided loan pony doesn't have any issues with dust, the cheapest for me is offcut sawdust from the local Sawmill. Its very fine, easy to much out and £1 for a decent sized bag (About mid torso height bag and I am 5 ft 3 and barely able to carry it!). Lasts around a week, so £4 a month for bedding when I can get it! :D

Obviously not suitable for horses with COPD or other breathing issues. Other people have had issues with Nails in bedding from Sawmills, but my local one knows people use the sawdust for animal bedding and do their best to ensure no nails or anything sharp is in the offcuts. I have never had a problem.

applecart14

Visit site
Edwards Buildbase have 22.5KG shavings called Stable Choice, that work out at around £6.67 + vat and free delivery if in a 30 mile radius. Very good shavings, dust free and go a long, long way. Not sure if you have one round my you but a quick look at their branch locator shows stores at Harrogate, Wakefield, Pontefract and York.

Annagain

Visit site
I'd recommend giving wood pellets a try. I switched from shavings to wood pellets 2 years ago and I'd never go back. I use White Horse Premium and they're great.

LadyLuck1977

Visit site
Hunters for us, have tried lots of others but always go back to hunters as they last longer and work out more cost efficient. tried wood pellets and hated them. A few people on our yard love them but their rugs are disgusting.

DirectorFury

Visit site
Not quite shavings but ProBed is amazing. It's chopped rape straw. I was going through 3 bales of shavings a week and only use 1-2 bales of ProBed now :).

Auslander

Visit site
Not a fan of shavings - I prefer miscanthus, which makes a lovely solid bed, which rots down well, and is cheaper than shavings. I pay £6.25 per bale

CBFan

Visit site
Not shavings but I can recommend bedsoft bio chopped rape straw - or they do one mixed with shavings. It smells nice, is relatively cheap, absorbant and quick to muck out. if the horse is particularly wet, using wood pellets underneath can help :)

wiglet

Visit site
My yard (full livery) uses shavings from a local supplier so they're not branded but they are dust extracted and cost effective! I did use Bedmax when I was on DIY - the large flake ones (think they do small flakes now as well) and although it made a nice looking bed, it wasn't at all absorbent and made for a very wet bed.

9tails

Visit site
If you want quick and easy, no smell and and a good solid bed, buy wood pellets. Not any old pellet though, White Horse Platinum Plus. I love them and they're so simple to muck out. I've been on wood pellets for about 7 years now, wouldn't use anything else. I really dislike shavings as you have to sift through for all the buried poos. Straw is horrendous.

rosiesowner

Visit site
It seems as though quite a few people recommend wood pellets, so I'll have to look into them! And you're quite right, mucking out straw on yard duties at college this morning has only reinforced my belief that it is the devil's bedding!!

rosiesowner

Visit site
If you want quick and easy, no smell and and a good solid bed, buy wood pellets. Not any old pellet though, White Horse Platinum Plus. I love them and they're so simple to muck out. I've been on wood pellets for about 7 years now, wouldn't use anything else. I really dislike shavings as you have to sift through for all the buried poos. Straw is horrendous.

It seems as though quite a few people recommend wood pellets, so I'll have to look into them! And you're quite right, mucking out straw on yard duties at college this morning has only reinforced my belief that it is the devil's bedding!!

Oops, reposted this because I managed to reply into thin air... I'm a bit rubbish at this forum lark!

JustKickOn

Visit site
I use Arden Wood Shavings General Chip 550. £9 a bale.

3-4 bales to start up in a 12x12 on mats, makes a decent bed. Top up with around half a bale each week when deep littering.