I'm thinking of looking for a share. Any advice please?

E_Lister

Visit site
I apologise in advance, this is a looooong post! I just want to give as much information as possible!!

I would absolutely love to be able to have a horse of my own, however my current commitments mean I either have the money to afford a horse of my own (but no time to care for it) or I have the time to look after a horse (but not enough money to cover emergencies and routine checks by saddler etc.)

I therefore can't do a horse of my own justice, but I am missing my horsey fix and would love to find a share.

I would love to find a share where I can do a little bit of everything.

I absolutely love hacking and it is what I do most often, but I my ambition is to learn to ride, not stay on and flap about, but really improve as much as I can. This involves regular lessons as still don't really know what the “next step” in each situation is in order to improve a horse's way of going.

The level of my ability combined with this ambition also feels like a stumbling block.

I have worked on yards and had a couple of loans/shares before I went to uni so my general horsecare knowledge shouldn't be a problem. It is more the riding...

I am reasonably confident and competent. I am safe and comfortable hacking most level headed horses, I can sit a spook/excited buck, however I'm no rodeo rider and wouldn't feel happy hacking something unpredictable.
I feel like I have stagnated a bit at the "able to take most horses out for a walk, trot, canter and gallop and hop the odd log."

As for my schooling and jumping, I'm decidedly average. Don't get me wrong, I'm no wobbly novice, but I'm not Mary King either! This is where I really really want to improve.

I have had regular lessons at a Bishop Burton for the past 3 years at uni and my job over the summer is a trekking leader in Tuscany, as well as a few lessons on a local schoolmaster. I would therefore say that my problem is I have plateau-ed due to not being able to practice what I want to learn regularly on a single horse.

I can't school a horse on to improve it without supervision and instruction. I know and understand a lot of the theory behind getting a horse to work properly, however without a regular mount that I can practice on, I haven't been able to consistently put this into practice or develop a "feel" of my own.

I'm sure that if I seesawed on a horse's mouth I could get them to tuck their nose in and plow around the arena on the forehand, but I really want to learn to RIDE, not look pretty ;) Therefore I would like a share horse I can have lessons on and is willing enough in the school so I can try achieve this.

Bearing all that waffle in mind, am I likely to find a share that I can do all this with? In the end, I want what the majority of horsey people want, a horse I can develop a bond with and adore, whilst also being able to improve and learn with them.

Is this too picky in what I am looking for?
>> I don't really want a very young or a very green horse. I wouldn't be able to do them justice.
>> I don't have the ability to properly ride a competition horse. I am scared that I would mess them up for their owners...
>> I have more ambition than simply happy hacking round the block on a loose rein once or twice a week. (I have been offered a couple of these, but in both cases the owners have been very firm that it is hacking only as this is all they do, and they don't want me to alter their horse's way of going.)

All I really want is a sensible(ish) allrounder that I can adore and care for in lieu of my own, that I can have lessons on but also hack out on.

I am considering advertising to see if anyone is looking for a sharer like me.

I guess my questions are:
Would anyone actually want a sharer like this?
(I'm happy to do the dirty work and/or contribute and I would be in it long term if the arrangement suited us both.)

What would I put in the advert asking if anyone is looking for this kind of sharer?
>> my ability?
>> references?
>> what I am looking for?

Should I just stick to lessons until I can get one of my own cause I am too fussy and demanding for my own good!

Thanks in advance for any advice and a massive slice of warm choc fudge brownie for anyone who managed to get this far!!

puppystitch

Visit site
Yes, I think you will find that you are quite in demand! You're bound to find someone who wants help exercising, and if you're willing to have regular lessons, so much the better for the owner as their horse gets extra schooling. As long as you're honest about your abilities and what you are willing / unwilling to do you should be fine. Just google 'Horse share in xxxx' (insert your location) and you'll find plenty of adverts. Good luck!

Hobbitpony

Visit site
I've been sharing horses for over 5 years with various different owners so I feel a bit of an old hand at the sharing game. I definately think someone will take you on and I think if you could find the right arrangement you would benefit enormously.

Your biggest asset is that you are clearly aware of your own ability. Honesty is the best policy, and owners will respect you for it. Don't be afraid to turn horses down if you think they are not right. I turned down the first share horse I ever tried (young, bouncy Eventer) but she then recommended me to a friend with an older schoolmaster, so I rode that instead. That said, don't under sell yourself Shares are a two way street and whilst sharers seem to get a lot of bad press, there are plenty of owners who want a sharer to sort out their nutty unschooled horse and pay for the privelege. Pick your owner as carefully as your horse!! (I've been lucky and all mine have been lovely)

Most owners are happy for their horses to be used for lessons so long as they approve the Instructor but this is more easily accomplished if the horse is already on a yard with an arena and resident instructor. I would be proactive, find where your local livery yards are and ring up and ask if you could stick an ad up in the tack room at this time of year, once word gets around I'm sure you'll be snapped up!

kc100

Visit site
You will absolutely find a horse and probably quite easily - I know that was a long post but in a nutshell you are looking for a horse you can do a mix of schooling and hacking on, maybe oneday in the future with the view to compete. That is perfectly normal for your 'wants' in a share horse and there will be many owners happy for you to have lessons on their horse and enjoy the horse like its your own.

I've found some ads that might interest you (based on your location):
http://www.preloved.co.uk/adverts/show/108791760/for-loanshare.html
http://www.preloved.co.uk/adverts/show/109383751/wanted-part-loaner-for-my-horse.html
http://www.preloved.co.uk/adverts/show/108985206/17-hh-for-loan.html

Dont be put off if an owner puts 'green' in their advert, I'd say most adverts would say that as it covers the owner in case horse puts in a buck when the sharer comes to try the horse out. Plus it puts off the 15 year olds that have just learnt to canter and therefore think they can ride.

You are not a novice by any stretch of the imagination and if you can sit to the odd buck then you can deal with a slightly fresh/green horse. Your best bet is to not rule anything out until you have been to try it, often an owner will say 'never naughty perfect schoolmaster' etc and it turns out to be a complete pain in the butt. So dont let wording put you off in an advert, I've had 3 horses on share now and the only one that was a complete saint and never put a foot wrong was the one that the owner said 'very strong, needs very confident rider, very responsive and must only have the slightest of aids'. You could have put my nan on that horse and he wouldnt have batted an eyelid! His owner was just being super cautious as he was a big horse (17.3) so wanted to make sure he didnt end up with a sharer who wasnt confident enough on such a big lad.

The other 2 I've had (including current) have been described as 'perfect to do in every way' and they are both bucking, spooky, silly creatures! So dont believe everything you read!

In terms of your advert - I'd keep it short and sweet. Key details to include: Age, height (weight if you feel it may be an issue i.e. you are particularly small or particularly heavy), number of years riding and your most recent riding experience. Then explain your aims - that you want to develop your riding and have some lessons, that you want to gain more experience with flatwork and jumping and then maybe one day compete. Say you are experienced in all aspects of horse care and are happy to do chores.

Then give a quick paragraph about your ideal share horse (if you have thought about it) - height, age, ability to hack in company/alone, any particular interests i.e. do you enjoy flatwork more than jumping therefore might like a horse who could go on to do some dressage etc. If you want to ride during the evenings during the winter make sure you stipulate you are looking for a yard with a floodlit outdoor arena (or indoor) so you can ride all year round.

That's all you need really - dont worry about references, just a quick paragraph about you, a quick paragraph about what your looking for in the share horse then ask them to contact you if they have any more questions.

One thing I will say - always get the owner to ride the horse 1st when you go to try the horse, never get on first. I made that mistake once and sure enough horse reared and had me off. If the horse looks unsafe or beyond your abilities when the owner is riding, then politely explain that you dont feel you are able to ride the horse and dont want to put yourself or the horse at risk.

E_Lister

Visit site
Thanks for all the lovely replies!

I'm glad nobody took my long description as being whingey! I do manage to be in an awkward place though don't I!!

I used to share a gorgeous mare and we got along brilliantly. The arrangement worked out beautifully because I was always willing to talk to the owner and we are still great friends now. I was with her for 3 years and only stopped when I moved away to uni. In fact, I was v. v, lucky because when I was home I had free rein to do what I wanted until this summer when her lack of time meant she found another sharer and I don't want to tread on her toes.

Thanks for the ads KC100, I might have to join preloved and give them a ring... The bit about greenness is a good point as well. I have never actually "looked" for a share horse before, the only two I had I got by word of mouth!

TrasaM

Visit site
Stick to your guns about what you want from the share. I ended up with hacking only and then only with the owner. Basically I was paying her to ride out with her but she didn't want to let me have lessons on him or on her other horse even though she'd offered that at the start. It ended up being very very boring walk around the block getting her horse used to traffic. I then had a bad fall resulting in a messed up but not broken shoulder; horse spooked and lost footing and fell on me. Not ridden him since although I'm back having lessons I'm giving hacking out a miss for a while until my shoulder recovers. Hope you find someone nice who appreciates your ability and willingness to learn :)

JennBags

HHOSS Wonder Woman
Visit site
You sound like a great sharer to have! I've been thinking about having someone share my boy but am reluctant to advertise, if I knew there were more people like you around I'd be more definite about it! Shame you're the other end of the country.

E_Lister

Visit site
Thanks babymare, I am struggling to condense that long section on my ability down if I'm honest. I don't want to undersell myself as in the end I'm not a numpty, but I also don't want people to get overly high expectations and we end up wasting each other's time!

Haha JennBags, sorry for my inconvenient location ;) but thanks for the positive feedback. I will have to go and write myself an advert!

E_Lister

Visit site
A bit of an update. I rang up about one of the horses that KC100 suggested this morning and I am going to go and have a look this afternoon.

I suspect that the horse might be at the top end of my abilities, however the owner says he is absolutely lovely to ride and it is worth a try... I'm mainly concerned about his young age and apparently large movement! I have lots of different experiences on lots of different horses, however I have never ridden anything with properly "huge and floaty" paces and I don't want to make a fool of myself! Please wish me luck!!

kellybee

Visit site
Your biggest asset is that you are clearly aware of your own ability. Honesty is the best policy, and owners will respect you for it. Don't be afraid to turn horses down if you think they are not right. I turned down the first share horse I ever tried (young, bouncy Eventer) but she then recommended me to a friend with an older schoolmaster, so I rode that instead.

^^This!^^

The thing is, there are a lot of folks out there looking for a sharer. If you lived local to me I'd be on the phone straight away. The thing is, good sharers are worth their weight in gold and so many folks out there have safe sensible first or second ponies that do their job well. There's someone out there with exactly what you're hoping to find, if I were you I'd advertise in local tack rooms, the H&H regional message board (on the main forum menu) and just be completely honest. The worst that can happen is you'll go and try a horse that doesn't suit your needs. Sharing is a two way thing - make sure you settle for the right one. Ask for a trial for a few weeks and see how you get on with those you like. If there's more than one, take your pick and make your commitment :)