I'm tired of 2020, Jonna isn't well

FinnishLapphund

There's no cow on the ice
Visit site
I was supposed to have done a No water for 12 hours, out to pee late in the night, up at 06 to get a morning pee sample-test with Blomma on Friday, due to her Diabetes Insipidus, see this thread, but Jonna, 15 years, was a bit more tired than usual on Wednesday evening, didn't eat Thursday's breakfast, and she was more tired, so I called my veterinarian, and got an appointment for them to see Jonna on Friday, just before 14 o'clock, and we decided to wait with Blomma's test until next week.

Jonna seemed a little bit perkier later in the day, and did eat some of her food, but she threw it up during the night. Came and wanted her breakfast Friday morning, so I gave her some, and thought I will simply have to tell the vets she's eaten breakfast. Around 4 hours later, the breakfast came back up.

Although I had a morning urine sample with me, just in case they would want to have a look at it, I went to the vets being sure they would find something bad, and that I would have to euthanise her. I had basically written her eulogy, ready to post it on here.
But the veterinarian felt her over, without finding anything wrong, and said that despite her age, she's in such good condition, that the vet suggested taking some blood samples, check the urine sample, and doing x-rays, to make sure there wasn't something that could be done.

They didn't find anything immediately deadly! Her liver is somewhat enlarged, and her liver values is above normal, but they're more or less the same as earlier this year, when the values had been a bit improved after I switched to feeding them 4 smaller portions per day, and started giving her a food where the proteins mostly comes from vegetables = easier for the liver.

X-rays showed no tumours in neither chest, nor abdomen. Her temperature was 38,9°, and the only bad thing they found was that one of the blood test indicates that she has a boil, somewhere in her body.
But without knowing where the boil is, they don't dare give her any medication for it, because any residue might end up in her liver, and they don't want to risk her liver over a boil only a blood sample indicates is somewhere, but they haven't found.

They gave her an injection to help with the nausea, and told me to buy pills to help treat the nausea/calm her stomach, and buy several cans of special food. They hope that with rest, and if she can keep her food, maybe her body will have the energy to take care of the boil, wherever it is, by itself.
If nothing happens acutely during the weekend, I should call the vets on Monday, and discuss if she's improved enough to continue, or if we need to come in and euthanise her.

Fingers crossed, she hasn't thrown up again, and she's a little more herself, but tired, today. They said I should keep an eye on her temperature, but I forgot to ask how often I'm supposed to do that. I'm planning on doing it 4 times per day, and hope that's good enough.

I'm trying to stay positive, but I fear that even if she seems to get better now, that this is a sign of that something is starting to go wrong in her body.

I haven't mentioned some of the following before, because shit happens in life, and mentioning it doesn't change anything, but now, I need to get it off my chest. I think this year have been the worst in my life, this far. My parents, and me got scammed by some roofers this Spring (we live together in a 2 family house).
My dad started the whole thing, he, and mum lost money, and I lost some of my savings trying to sort out the situation. But with scammers being scammers, they left us with a ruined outer roof, so I've spent from May to August on building a new outer roof mostly myself, with some help from my 2 nephews.

I have no education in building, I have Narcolepsy which makes me tired, and limits the numbers of hours I can be active, but I'm somewhat handy with a hammer, so I did my best. Part of me thinks it will hold, but the other part of me is worried about if I really managed to make it sturdy enough, and I get a bit of a cramp feeling in my stomach every time I'm home, and it rains.

This also meant we didn't have time to move out to our tiny Summer cabin this Summer. I was knackered after finishing the roof, but just as we where going to move out, and spend one or two Autumn months in the Summer cabin, first Blomma got sick (see thread mentioned in the beginning), and then Berta my Cornish Rex cat got cancer, and we decided to follow what the veterinarian recommended would be best for her, which was to do nothing, and just take her home, and spoil her. And Berta didn't like travelling, so with shorter distance to the vets from our city home, we decided to stay there until we euthanised her.

The Coronavirus quarantine for people over 70 have made my dad seem to age at least 10 years. Being scammed by roofers put even more stones on the burden, and I'm worried about his health.
I know things could be worse, and I'm grateful that we've this far have managed to avoid getting Covid-19 etc, but Berta's death, Blomma's medication levels still in a bit of a limbo, and now this.
I'm tired of the year 2020, please keep your fingers crossed for Jonna on Monday.

A photo of my fluffy trio waiting at the veterinarians yesterday (Jonna, Beata, and Blomma):

50550169483_84de299783_z.jpg

Showing how stressed they are over being at the veterinarian clinic:

50550177228_eba724373e_z.jpg

When I was sure I was going to write Jonna's eulogy, I tried taking a picture of the very best photo I've taken of Jonna in my digital camera, from when she was around 10, 11 years old:

50545530916_bf33514b3f_z.jpg

{97702}

Visit site
Oh FL, have a massive hug ? Sadly I know from my own experiences how difficult it is when your animals are all of a similar age, it seems never ending ?

I do hope Jonna picks up and improves soon, you really don’t need that worry along with all the other stuff - sending lots of love to you and your gorgeous dogs xx

palo1

Visit site
So sorry you are having such an awful time FL:( :( You are always so sunny and positive that things must have really got you down now. I just wish there was somethingI could say or think of that might cheer you on a bit. Your dogs are fabulous, beautiful and have the most wonderful caring owner. Virtual hugs being sent!! :)

Rumtytum

Have Marmite, will travel
Visit site
FL you’ve had a truly horrible year. I can only admire your resilience in the face of so much hardship, the roof scammers and having to fix the roof yourself (not something I’d ever, ever be able to do!), worrying about your father, worrying about your pets, worrying about Covid. All these things and you have narcolepsy too. It’s so much to bear. You are beyond brave and deserve more than one huge hug. Fingers crossed for Jonna on Monday.

PapaverFollis

Visit site
Big hugs for you and your lovely dogs. I'm sorry everything has been so hard. I reckon the roof is probably better than a professional job because you quite clearly do everything you do so thoroughly and thoughtfully. X

Bellasophia

Visit site
Oh dear,I too would like to send you good thoughts for your dog and a big hug to you.You are such a strong person,how many people would take on a roof ,plus deal with all that you’ve had this year?
With regard to your old girl have you tried milk thistle ?( supplement for the liver)Do ask your vet first,but I’ve used this on my elderly dog,when she had similar symptoms and it was really effective..please try to gather your strength before Monday.

TPO

Visit site
So sorry that you've had such a horrible ans hard year.

I hope that your dogs are feeling better soon and that your dad gets back to himself soon. I'm sure you have done a good job of the roof and you will have a dry winter

Take care of yourself x

Visit site
FL, so sorry to hear youve had such a bad year. You sound as though you've dealt with everything so admirably and you've remained so positive on here! I would like to bet the roof will hold up perfectly but even if you found the tiniest of leaks, then praise yourself and your nephews for doing such an amazing job that you have just one tiny leak, when most people wouldnt have even attempted to tackle such a job themselves. I think you and you're nephews are pretty incredible.

It is such a worry when our animals are poorly, I hope Jonna is 100% again asap. Absolutely lovely photos of your lovely dogs.

Things are sent to test us and they often come all at once. I like to think when things like this happen, its not because we are unlucky, it is because things are sent to test us to remind us of how courageous and strong we can be.

x

Emilieu

Visit site
I have nothing useful to say but you are such a lovely person and always so supportive to everyone on here, so I feel I should say something anyway. I’m sorry things have been so hard, it’s very wearing when it’s just one thing after another. Your dogs are so beautiful, I hope Jonna will be ok.

Shady

Visit site
Oh bless Finny. You really have had a shitty year . I'm so sorry and I hope all goes well for you on Monday. You are one of the loveliest people on this forum . I think you would be surprised how many posters value your kind words and support. Sending the warmest of hugs to you and your beautiful dogs. xxxxxx

Clodagh

Visit site
I'm so sorry, you are having such an awful time of it, yet you are never anything but supportive and uplifting to everyone on here.
Thinking of you and all that you are going through. Your dogs are just the most beautiful girls.
I do hope life sits back and gives you a break, you have earned it.

Last edited:

FinnishLapphund

Visit site
Jonna is still here, a bit perkier today, but she's tired, and like the last days, sleeps more than usual.
I'm scatter-brained, and everything I do seems to take ages, but writing, and posting, this thread have felt a bit cathartic.
Thank you so much for the nice, and encouraging replies, they're very comforting to read, and contributes a lot to my cathartic feelings.

I know that the stomach cramp when it rains is a combination of that I had to make the best I could for as little money as possible, experiencing that scammers turned our roof with a small damp problem into a Niagara Falls/sieve, and knowing that if there, hopefully only hypothetically, would be another leak, it's me who will have to fix it.
At the same time I also know it could be so much worse, because we have a roof again, and if it had been only my dad, and mum, they would have had to sell the house before Autumn.

But this Thursday, thinking I would now also lose my little Jonna, it was just like the last straw broke. After calling the veterinarian, I cried on and off for almost 4 hours, and I would probably had continued that way, if not my 2 nephews + 1 niece had came for a quick visit.

@Levrier my mum have sometimes said one should buy a new pet around every 4th year, to make sure to not end up sitting with a bunch of oldies likely to die within a few years of each other. But time flies, and suddenly here we are, with the youngest one being Cilla the moggy with her 11 years.

@Bellasophia I bought some supplement pills with Milk thistle at the veterinarian clinic earlier this year. But after less than 2 weeks, Jonna didn't want to eat them. I don't have a habit of letting my pets dictate what pills to eat, but for a dog with such sweet disposition to spit out a pill 3 days in a row, I decided she knew her body best, and stopped.
Told the veterinarian that I would try giving them again if things got worse. When she didn't eat her breakfast on Thursday, I decided to take a chance, and started giving her the Milk thistle supplement pill again.

I know, I know, I'm really not suggesting that anyone else take chances, and starts giving a sick dog supplements they just happen to have at home. It could be dangerous, risks making them more sick etc.
But maybe, if I'm lucky, in this case, since Milk thistle is also supposed to be anti-inflammatory, they're helping her.

MurphysMinder

Visit site
Oh FL I am so sorry you are having such a horrible time, it is so unfair that this should happen to someone who is always so caring and helpful towards others. Will keep my fingers crossed that Jonna starts to pick up soon.

Bellasophia

Visit site
Whenever I’ve given a pill I would put it in a scoop of hills a.dpaste and put it in the back of the throat..the dogs swallows . At the end dog gets some a.d paste without anything to swallow as a treat..
..trust me,I had to give meds for eleven years to my st poodle number two...( auto immune insufficient,low thyroid,chronic gastric bleeds,to name a few )I hated giving ranitidine injections but they were life savers..sometimes it just has to be done.
The milk thistle is a wonder pill...my friends epileptic dog had raised alt levels due to her medications and within a week on milk thistle it had brought her numbers down.
It also lowered my own dog’s high liver and kidney numbers,using the milk thistle..
Dont feel guilty for giving treatments..I used to feel like this at the beginning,but if it saves her life or improves her status,it’s got to be done.

FinnishLapphund

Visit site
Whenever I’ve given a pill I would put it in a scoop of hills a.dpaste and put it in the back of the throat..the dogs swallows . At the end dog gets some a.d paste without anything to swallow as a treat..
..trust me,I had to give meds for eleven years to my st poodle number two...( auto immune insufficient,low thyroid,chronic gastric bleeds,to name a few )I hated giving ranitidine injections but they were life savers..sometimes it just has to be done.
The milk thistle is a wonder pill...my friends epileptic dog had raised alt levels due to her medications and within a week on milk thistle it had brought her numbers down.
It also lowered my own dog’s high liver and kidney numbers,using the milk thistle..
Dont feel guilty for giving treatments..I used to feel like this at the beginning,but if it saves her life or improves her status,it’s got to be done.

But my bitches are great at eating pills, you just put it in their mouths, and they swallow. They know if they spit it out, I'll just put it back in again.

If it had been antibiotics from the pharmacy, I would have told she had to eat it, and tried to continue to just making her eat the pills for X number of days.
But, some of you might think I'm completely barking mad for this, I truly trust Jonna 100%. It is actually quite possible that I would have called the veterinarian, and told them that something about the medicine is making Jonna feel that it's not good for her. And asked if there was something else they could give her.

When I tried giving this supplement before, I'm convinced that when she started spitting out the pill, it meant she felt it wasn't what she needed at that time.

Yes, I might as well confess, when it comes to Jonna, I'm the biggest fluffy bunny hugging hippie there has ever been. I feel we have a extra special bond, that I often understand what she thinks, and she's my little almost perfect princess.
Her 2 only flaws is that she often uses her Are you done soon expression whenever I take pictures of her, and that she's never understood why I sometimes need to go to places without her, but besides those 2 only things, she's absolutely perfect.

Every dog is a bit different, so I've had different bonds with the bitches before Jonna, just as I have different bonds to Beata, and Blomma. But Jonna, she's extra special, I trust her more than I trust myself.