Impaction colic - question?

lilaclomax

Visit site
The title hopefully won't jinx anything here.
This morning my pony and my friend's boy were given 300g of unsoaked Fast Fibre each. Once I had found out I brought my friend's boy back in and gave them both 5 litres of warm water with a small amount of Chaff in the sweeten the water, they both managed to take around 3 litres in before becoming bored... both out with day hay in the field and a trug of warm water with some salt in, fingers crossed that they come away unharmed as such a small amount (thankfully not their evening meal) but is there anything else I can do?

Worried at work :(

scarymare

Visit site
Don't worry - you've done plenty and there was an article I read by a professor at Dick Vet that actually you can feed Beet dry provided horses have free access to water. Their stomachs easily expand. Not recommending this but they will be fine. I've had one break into feed room at eat god knows how much, same happened to a good friend and both of ours showed no ill effects. Stop stressing!

rachi0

Visit site
if they start looking colicy.. ring the vet.. don't self prescribe especially when you know there could well be a problem after what they've eaten!
Hopefully nothing will happen and they'll be fine!

Happy Christmas!

sonjafoers

Visit site
I have had the same situation as scarymare - my youngster broke into the feed room one night & ate a dustbin full of chaff, half a bin of competition mix & a huge amount of dry beet. Apart from the fact she could hardly move for 24 hours she suffered no ill effects. It just took me 2 hours to clean up the mess she had made!

I really wouldn't worry, despite scaring us half to death they do seem to cope remarkably well with such things and as scarymare also said - you can top dress feed with it dry.