Impar ligament/collapsed heels/heart bars help please

criso

Coming over here & taking your jobs since 1900
Visit site
But I have seen the breakdown of success rate of some of the issues you mentioned

Distal sesamoidean impar desmopathy 26.6 % returned to work
Deep digital flexor tendinopathy 21.8% returned to work

Are these figures for barefoot or regular shoeing?

If you click on the link the abstract says it for corrective shoeing and medication

From the details

Current treatment options for horses with foot pain include corrective shoeing, a variable period of rest, systemic and/or intrasynovial anti-inflammatory drugs, extracorporeal shock wave therapy, and tiludronate (Dabareiner et al. 2003; Denoix et al.2003; Schneider et al. 2003; Dyson et al. 2005; Schoonover et al.2005; Mitchell 2006; Bell et al. 2009; Dakin et al. 2009).

ETA to add my vet wasn't exactly pro but he was at least realistic enough to say that there was nothing traditional approaches could offer and it couldn't do any harm.

criso

Coming over here & taking your jobs since 1900
Visit site
My horse is out 24/7 and we have no stable but there are two shelters. He does get cracked feet in summer and I struggle with his weight. I'm struggling to ascertain if that would make him a good or bad candidate? I am happy to feed a supplement and currently shoe every 4 -5 weeks at £150 a pop fronts only so regular trimming/visits not an issue.

I depends on whether you want to rethink your management and decide whether getting your horse back to full work including jumping is worth changing the way you keep him.

But you do have to bear in mind this isn't a quick fix but a long term change of approach.

I know people (2 of them trimmers who keep their horse out 24/7 but they are very careful about restricting them in the summer so it can be done.

Meowy Catkin

Meow!
Visit site
All of mine live out, but as C says, they are restricted during the summer and when the grass is growing like mad, they are restricted to the point that they need hay.

fjordgirl75

Visit site
All of mine live out, but as C says, they are restricted during the summer and when the grass is growing like mad, they are restricted to the point that they need hay.

Yeah I don't think I could do this where I am as he is not on livery he lives as a companion really. So it would mean either starting in teh late summer then moving him or moving him.

Meowy Catkin

Meow!
Visit site
Yeah I don't think I could do this where I am as he is not on livery he lives as a companion really. So it would mean either starting in teh late summer then moving him or moving him.

I would try anyway, what have you got to lose? You can always shoe again if BF doesn't work. One of mine would be fine on good grass 24/7, but the other two wouldn't and I treat them all the same, so they all get restricted.

PoppyAnderson

Visit site
I would suggest you don't rush into it .

I would suggest you actually do rush into it, if you want to give your horse a chance. Educate yourself by reading as much as you can as quickly as you can. The best thing you can do is get your horse on a barefoot rehab programme, ideally at Rockley but if that's not possible, lots of people on here will support you through it.

Last edited:

PoppyAnderson

Visit site
My farrier is very anti barefoot but at the moment has banned jumping for ever more. My horse does not really have any heel in the heart bars so I do feel we have just been masking the issue but my farrier says barefoot will give the wrong angle and this will put the ligaments under strain - vet also agrees. So very confused.

Jesus wept, I can't believe a farrier would come out with such utter guff.

That's why it's imperative that you educate yourself, so that you're not at the mercy of so called 'experts' giving unbelievably awful advice.

Meowy Catkin

Meow!
Visit site

That's why it's imperative that you educate yourself, so that you're not at the mercy of so called 'experts' giving unbelievably awful advice.

The Farrier is getting £150 for each set of front shoes... a good incentive for him to advise against BF do you think? With my cynical hat on, I think so.

Many Vets are not up to date with the work going on at Rockley. Hopefully the day will soon come when Vet's are taught that a BF rehab is a viable option with better results than remedial shoeing (bearing in mind that many of the success stories from Rockley who have returned to ridden work, were written off using traditional methods IE remedial shoeing).

Prince33Sp4rkle

Visit site
The Farrier is getting £150 for each set of front shoes... a good incentive for him to advise against BF do you think? With my cynical hat on, I think so.

Many Vets are not up to date with the work going on at Rockley. Hopefully the day will soon come when Vet's are taught that a BF rehab is a viable option with better results than remedial shoeing (bearing in mind that many of the success stories from Rockley who have returned to ridden work, were written off using traditional methods IE remedial shoeing).

this.100%.

take some time to read the rockley website in full.

Yertis

Visit site
I can understand your worries, I have had my horses (7) barefoot for the last 15 years, however I have now had to have my 20 years cob shod in front for health reasons, rather than metal shoes I have gone for composites (plastics).My farrier has been brilliant (same one I had before going barefoot) I buy the shoes and he fits, am on the 3rd type now -they have all worked for her if not for me lol!! haven't been expensive, and the latest type seem very promising to solve all problems. There are several alternatives these days not just metal shod or bare, the present ones support her frog and allow the sole and frogs to work whilst minimising concussion Farrier charges me same fitting as normal shoes and I import the shoes myself, cost it approx. £50 fitted to fronts, she remains bare behind. Good luck and chose what is right and doable for you and your horse :)

fjordgirl75

Visit site

Please be aware this is not utter guff - the horse was injured by jumping as he is conformationally predisposed to have collapsed heels as well as poor shoeing by a different farrier.

I have done nothing but read up on this and have a degree in biology so thoroughly understand it all. However my horse is naturally flat footed.

I trust the farrier on this one as two vets are in agreement as I sought a second opinion.

fjordgirl75

Visit site
Just to update - had him checked over by the vet and it's a slight bruising or soft tissue damage to fetlock totally unrelated to shoes/feet/shoeing. He's basically twisted fetlock goofing in field!

I continue to research barefoot and am in touch with some barefoot trimmers locally now to explore what is best for my horse - thats to those that have offered kind advice - i really appreciate that.

I feel this discussion has given me some options and a way forward so thanks.