Important message for those with air jackets

Nancykitt

Wester Ross, the beautiful NW coast of Scotland
Visit site
Check that your canisters are securely screwed in before every ride!!

Went out hunting today on fizzy pony (he's an experienced hunter but missed work recently because of the awful weather). Lasted all of 5 minutes before I was catapulted off. Wouldn't have been much of a problem if my air jacket had inflated but it didn't and my back/upper arm took the impact.
OH looked at the jacket and found that the canister had worked itself loose over time.

A hard lesson for me as I am now nursing various injuries...had I been more careful in checking the equipment I would have been able to carry on riding today.

Last edited:

thatsmygirl

Visit site
I have the older screw in type but wonder if the newer ones are able to do this? Lot of money to " just" wear if this can happen. Tbh iv never even though about checking

TeamChaser

Visit site
Mine is the newer bayonet style fitting - wouldn't think these could work lose but worth checking anyway I guess. Something I wouldn't have necessarily thought to do before each use

YorksG

Over the hill and far awa
Visit site
They've not published as they are ongoing
Right, I see, that must be why all I could find was an advert from a personal injury lawyer touting for business, it appears that they have nothing currently before the courts, but are looking for cases to take to court.

fairyclare

Visit site
A very timely reminder, thank you OP and hope you recover quickly!

I had a bad fall in '14 and ruptured my kidney - wasn't wearing my air jacket! Now I wear it whenever I am on a horse, little point if the canister has worked loose!