Imported rescue dogs

missmatch

Visit site
Has anyone on here got any knowledge on the importation of rescue dogs, particularly from Eastern Europe?

If you do, could you please please pm me.

Sorry for all the cloak & dagger stuff :-(

ihatework

Visit site
Not really.

Only the hippy that lives near me that now has three lame/blind dogs that go for a 10 minute walk around the block and who she is constantly asking for donations for.

I might have hinted the money would have been better spent putting these dogs down in their own country and donated towards a neutering scheme.

puppystitch

Visit site
You could also try talking to Cayla on here - I *think* from previous posts that she runs a rescue. Not necessarily imported, but she may be able to help regardless.

Bede

Visit site
A friend of a friend had one from Romania that bit a family member badly and was PTS. I can't imagine why anyone would want to import rescue dogs when there is no shortage of home grown ones

wench

Visit site
A friend of a friend had one from Romania that bit a family member badly and was PTS. I can't imagine why anyone would want to import rescue dogs when there is no shortage of home grown ones

100% I dont even agree with the ones from Ireland, and they are pretty much British!

blackandwhite

Visit site
I have a friend who got a rescue vizla from Hungary. It's just gone back after causing them all sorts of problems. I won't judge them but imo it would have been better put to sleep and the whole thing sounded odd. The charity it came from clearly lied about its age and history and tbh why they rehomed a possessive entire male dog with a bitch puppy is beyond me! Friends got dog sitters so they could go out for the evening and were phoned to come home because the dog had cornered the dog sitters! I'm all for rehoming animals when appropriate but there has to be a limit and importing them strikes me as bonkers.

Equi

Visit site
Not really.

Only the hippy that lives near me that now has three lame/blind dogs that go for a 10 minute walk around the block and who she is constantly asking for donations for.

I might have hinted the money would have been better spent putting these dogs down in their own country and donated towards a neutering scheme.

I would have strongly hinted too!!

MDB

Visit site
I rescued mine from India. Didn't plan on rescuing him, but saw him lying in the city streets, in the gutter, emaciated and infested with ticks and fleas when he was a puppy. Couldn't leave him.

I did all the paperwork and transport arrangements myself, without hiring a pet transport company, because they quoted £3000, and I did it myself for around £350... All in, including, blood tests, vaccinations, paperwork, flights.

I would first check your country on the DEFRA list... Whether it is part of the EU, or a EU listed country or a Non listed or Third Country. There is no quarantine now for bringing a dog in from anywhere in the world so long as strict criteria are met.

First thing.. Get a microchip. Get a certificate from the vet to state the date the microchip was inserted. Then get rabies vaccination and certificate with microchip number on it stating date of vaccination. Then if you need to (depending on your country of origin) wait around a month, then get a blood rabies antibody / titer test done in an EU approved laboratory (list of these on DEFRA website). Then if need be (again depending on country of origin) wait three months from the date of the blood test before you import. You may need to get an export certificate from the government vet in your country of origin. You will also need either a EU pet passport or a Third Countries Veterinary Certificate (if not in the EU, downloaded from DEFRA website) and this should be completed between 1 to 5 days of arrival into the UK... which is the maximum time limits of the deworming for tapeworm which should be praziquantel or equivalent. This will need to be completed by the government veterinarian in the country of origin. Get them to sign and stamp every page, number every page too, and put in photocopies (also signed and stamped) of all your previous certificates... Microchip, vaccinations, blood tests etc etc.

If you are flying then it will be cheaper to fly the dog as excess baggage into Paris and then get someone to pick you up and drive over via the tunnel... If you bring a pet into UK by air then you have to pay an agent to clear customs for you at the nice price of around £500, come into Paris as excess baggage and you hand your dog in at checkin, (no cargo to deal with) and collect your dog at the baggage carousel at the same time as you collect your own.

That is about all I can remember. But rules change so double check. I had a whole case numbe when I brought my dog from India... I called DEFRA so many times asking questions, and they were super helpful :)

Good luck!

Honey08

Waffled a lot!
Visit site
A neutering and PTS system abroad would be great but they won't spend the money. Once in a while at the pound a colleague rescues from in Romania, they feed the dogs liquid paraffin and they die slowly. Some of them die of cold , others are smothered by snow . They never leave their cages, they never get exercise, they sleep on a pallet. Once you've seen them it haunts you and it's not so easy to be sensible/cold hearted!

Luci07

Visit site
I do agree but equally it is hard to turn your back.

If we could stop the revolting back street breeders over here who don't give a monkey about the dogs they produce...now that would be a start. Tax them. See if they still want to do it then.

Honey08

Waffled a lot!
Visit site
I think in the UK all dogs should be micro chipped and all breeders should be registered. There should be random checks on puppies advertised on Preloved etc, any breeders not complying should be given big fines. Then any dog that ends up in rescue/dumped/the pound should incur a big fine to the previous owner - more than it costs to buy a new dog but less than it costs to PTS, making dumping an older dog for a puppy much harder. It will never happen, but that's my dream!

M&M&G

Visit site
We adopted a Galgo from Spain through Greyhounds in Need. They are a fantastic charity and invest in education programmes in Spain (where Galgos are often seen as vermin and subjected to horrific cruelty) and they also place retired greyhounds from the Uk abroad so it goes both ways! So not all charities are the same. I really admire their work and have been delighted with our lovely dog whom we have had for 2 years.

We originally went with GIN as Galgos have many of the characteristics we wanted and many of tbe lurcher rescues would not let us adopt as we work full stop, no matter that we are often home during the day.

flirtygerty

Visit site
This is a subject close to my heart, having cared for death row dogs, dogs so aggressive, or with serious health problems, they have no hope of getting a home, although there are a few exceptions, our last dog came from death row, but it wasn't easy getting him to accept ground rules, with all rescues drowning in unwanted animals, why waste resources on animals that would be kinder to pts, hard, yes, but these dogs especially stress in kennels, so what life do they have, one was a six month old pup, mauled by young kids from leaving his mum, now can't tolerate noise or kids and does attack, I had to stop caring for these dogs, as I couldn't stand the no kill policy, when some dogs were in pain and meds were not helping

flirtygerty

Visit site
I also have experience of stray dogs in both Portugal and Bulgaria, Portugal, the dogs would be in packs and thought nothing of attacking people, Bulgaria knew they had a stray dog problem, usually large dogs, they would catch the dogs, neuter, tag and return them, so they gradually died out, solving the problem, any dog with a tag was left alone, knowing it had been dealt with

Cinnamontoast

Fais pas chier!
Visit site
OP is asking about Eastern European imports, not other areas.

I feel we should not be importing dogs for rescue-it's a bottomless pit. Educate and give money to them to neuter, don't fetch them over here when we're having to PTS hundreds of dogs a day and to turn away fine healthy dogs whose owner has passed away, for example.

Redders

Visit site
The effects of indiscriminate, unregulated and uncontrolled breeding breaks my heart, and then coupled by the people who treat the animals in an unacceptable manner it's just hideous. I would love to see all animals in appropriate and happy homes, but sometimes sadly the only way to control cruelty is to take away the animal so it doesn't have chance to have a poor quality of life, either PTS or not let them be born in the first place. I would love for more education about the care animals need, so people aren't naive, and for laws to be in place for breeding, and neutering policies in place to stop the over populating of animals. If this happened maybe more people would see the worth in these creatures, and not disposable commodities. I have huge respect for people who rescue animals (and have the knowledge, suitable facilities and time) as I had a rescue dog and he was my best best pal. I just wish it was an issue people in power took more seriously.

justabob

Visit site
Yes I have. I have two dogs from The streets of Bucherest that were in a public shelter having been caught by the dog catchers. They were waiting to be euthanised, but not humanely but by stabbing, bleach injections or simply just hit on their heads until death mercifully ended their lives. Both dogs were traumatised when I got them but have settled and are lovely friendly dogs. Plenty of dogs in our own country to rescue I know, but does it matter where the abuse originated?

M&M&G

Visit site
[QUOTE. Plenty of dogs in our own country to rescue I know, but does it matter where the abuse originated?[/QUOTE]

Agree with this. I have adopted from abroad through a great, thorough charity and have heard of very successful private adoptions. I do feel there is an issue with individuals or misguided charities who take on dogs and then try to rehome without the experience and controls in place. I often see adverts at my local country store advertising dogs from Romania who appear to be in illhealth or have behavioural issues.

RaposadeGengibre

Visit site
Friend of mine has a lovely dog from Romania. She adopted it through local charity (cant remember which one)
Both of mine are portuguese rescues.

On our way back to UK I saw a few dogs on dogies playground in Calais coming from....Croatia I think. Absolutely petrified of surroundings. Im sure I had seen one of them ona local shelter website, hopefully they found loving homes.

Bec26

Visit site
I got a dog from Hungary a couple months ago - so far had no problems. The charity have been great - he came over neutered, vaccinated, chipped and wormed -. They home checked me first and have asked for regular updates. He was a bit bewildered initially but has settled in and is lovely boy.

PollyP99

Visit site
I see both sides of the don't adopt from abroad argument, one thing though, big uk charities won't touch anybody who works for rehoming, met a lovely lady this morning who has just bought a pedigree puppy because every charity turned her down as she works, she has always had rescues before and was quite upset about it. She works in the same town so is well able to walk dog before, at lunch and after work, seems short sighted to me.

Bec26

Visit site
I see both sides of the don't adopt from abroad argument, one thing though, big uk charities won't touch anybody who works for rehoming, met a lovely lady this morning who has just bought a pedigree puppy because every charity turned her down as she works, she has always had rescues before and was quite upset about it. She works in the same town so is well able to walk dog before, at lunch and after work, seems short sighted to me.

This was the only reason I adopted from abroad - i work 4 days a week and my dogs have access to the garden and indoor during the day and are walked before and after work but uk dog charities would not consider me.

honetpot

Visit site
This was the only reason I adopted from abroad - i work 4 days a week and my dogs have access to the garden and indoor during the day and are walked before and after work but uk dog charities would not consider me.
This is the madness of it, how many people in this day and age are at home all day? UK Charities seem to have completely unrealistic expectations. I was a perfect home as someone is at home virtually all day, I have a large fenced garden and no small children, and I have rehomed dogs before and coped with their problems and even I was treated with a certain contempt. In the end I couldn't not be bothered with the hassle and bought a pup and my second dog was rehomed privately though FB. I visited someone the other month who was a small rehoming kennels who had 40 dogs, I had never heard of them and most of the dogs they had been their for years, you have to wonder at their motives.
There a few very small rehomers on FB that foster dogs before they are rehomed and I think these are better for the dog and the rehomer, the dog is less stressed, less likely to have kennel diseases and you get a good assessment of their temperament.

twiggy2

Visit site
I suppose most of them are trying to prevent dogs being neglected or returning to the kennels, that said I agree some of the expectations are unreasonable but where does the line get drawn.

they don't know people coming to re-home dogs and have to set a standard I suppose, local good rehomers will home depending on what the individual can offer, I suppose the onus is on those of us that want to rehome finding a local rescue that accepts what we can offer the dog and finds it acceptable

honetpot

Visit site
I have a friend who has gundog breeds, they have their own insulated kennel in the garden with run and are walked at least twice a day and are family pets so when the family is at home they are in the house, but she had then three small children. She has rehomed gundog breeds but not through charities as soon as she says they are kennelled they say no, the fact she has vast amounts of experience with working dogs, is completely ignored, and the fact that her children were young was a real black mark, but she has always had dogs like me, and you do not get rid of your dogs when you have children.
Its down to a tick box system so they can not be accused of biase and they have completed a process so they are covered.

Jsye

Visit site
I have 2 from cyprus and my auntie has 1.

My auntie tried about 7 different charities to rehome from the UK however was rejected due to having a 3 year old child and working 3 days a week where the dog would be checked on through the day by family. So they went to a local rescue centre in the UK which brings dogs from romania & cyprus - working with charities abroad. They were fabulous and my dogs are lovely.

Some UK rescues make it so difficult for young families and 'middle class' to adopt due to their working hours, so many get rejected including myself. I'm damn sure my dogs would ratherI be out 7 hours a day than them being sat in a cold lonely kennel 24/7 being taken for 1 short walk a day and not knowing love and warmth.

I agree that people should rescue UK dogs but it's not always possible when you get rejected time after time - plus who's to say a dog abroad is any less worthy of being rescued based on where the poor thing was born?