Imported Rescues

misst

Visit site
I do think it is a real can of worms. I have been in touch with the rescue my dog came from prior to arrival in the UK. They were thrilled to find out that he was settled and happy and had doggy company. He took a few months to settle. He was very defensive and could be quite agressive when feeling threatened. I was told he was dreadful with children. My daughter in law got pregnant (we thought they were waiting a couple of years to have children) within a month of him arriving and I was really worried that we would have to rehome him again if he showed any signs of agression towards the baby. He bit the vet at his first vet check. He went for my son-in-law because he disturbed him and would guard his food.
Patience and reassurance meant over the next few months we won him over. He has excellent recall, he is affectionate and good with other dogs. He does not guard anything and does not need a muzzle now for the vets. He is still nervous about new things and will bark defensively if worried but otherwise he is good. As for our granddaughter, he is her best friend now :) wears all sorts of "outfits" draped over him and round him, plays for hours in the garden and seeks her out if she stays overnight as soon as she is awake. While no dog is 100% he is pretty much bombproof with everything now.
He had a lousy start on the street in Malaga and the rescue pictures look like a bleak kind of place. He had to be flown to the UK and then fostered before coming to us.
I am so happy we have him but would not choose to do this in this way again - but sometimes the dog just finds you.
ETS he does a very good worried look but he is a happy bunny really :)

Attachments

• IMG-20200627-WA0000.jpg
    IMG-20200627-WA0000.jpg
    237.4 KB · Views: 17

splashgirl45

Lurcher lover
Visit site
I do think it is a real can of worms. I have been in touch with the rescue my dog came from prior to arrival in the UK. They were thrilled to find out that he was settled and happy and had doggy company. He took a few months to settle. He was very defensive and could be quite agressive when feeling threatened. I was told he was dreadful with children. My daughter in law got pregnant (we thought they were waiting a couple of years to have children) within a month of him arriving and I was really worried that we would have to rehome him again if he showed any signs of agression towards the baby. He bit the vet at his first vet check. He went for my son-in-law because he disturbed him and would guard his food.
Patience and reassurance meant over the next few months we won him over. He has excellent recall, he is affectionate and good with other dogs. He does not guard anything and does not need a muzzle now for the vets. He is still nervous about new things and will bark defensively if worried but otherwise he is good. As for our granddaughter, he is her best friend now :) wears all sorts of "outfits" draped over him and round him, plays for hours in the garden and seeks her out if she stays overnight as soon as she is awake. While no dog is 100% he is pretty much bombproof with everything now.
He had a lousy start on the street in Malaga and the rescue pictures look like a bleak kind of place. He had to be flown to the UK and then fostered before coming to us.
I am so happy we have him but would not choose to do this in this way again - but sometimes the dog just finds you.
ETS he does a very good worried look but he is a happy bunny really :)

he looks very sweet and i am glad it has all turned out ok for you, BUT imagine if a less competent person had rehomed him, it would have been a disaster. one of the problems is that so many of these dogs are only picked from a picture so until they arrive over here the adopters dont meet them and have no idea what their temperament is like and after a long stressful journey they will understandably be a bit upset and find it hard to settle. i still say the money should be used for education and neutering in these countries and cutting out the number of puppies which are then sold to the uk....my neice went to a rescue and the dog she had chosen to visit had been sold on and they then showed her a pen of puppies who came from spain, she couldnt resist and bought one of them. he has had a few health issues and needs a great deal of exercise, hates the rain and feels the cold badly, he has turned out ok but my sister has sorted out the training and if he had been homed as someone's first dog i am sure he wouldnt have turned out so well...

misst

Visit site
Splashgirl that was one of the reasons we took him. We had an older calm female terrier and were looking for another dog as we had lost one recently. He was exactly not what we wanted but he was homeless at Gatwick when he landed and a friend of a friend fostered him. They thought he would be hard to rehome properly so we took him on. If he had been our first dog I'm not sure how things would have gone. He was a bit tricky with weeing in the house too to start with! I wouldn't be without him for the world now but I think it was lucky for us he found us and lucky for him too.

Sussexbythesea

Visit site
he looks very sweet and i am glad it has all turned out ok for you, BUT imagine if a less competent person had rehomed him, it would have been a disaster. one of the problems is that so many of these dogs are only picked from a picture so until they arrive over here the adopters dont meet them and have no idea what their temperament is like and after a long stressful journey they will understandably be a bit upset and find it hard to settle. i still say the money should be used for education and neutering in these countries and cutting out the number of puppies which are then sold to the uk....my neice went to a rescue and the dog she had chosen to visit had been sold on and they then showed her a pen of puppies who came from spain, she couldnt resist and bought one of them. he has had a few health issues and needs a great deal of exercise, hates the rain and feels the cold badly, he has turned out ok but my sister has sorted out the training and if he had been homed as someone's first dog i am sure he wouldnt have turned out so well...
Presumably your niece has free will and didn’t have to buy a puppy nor did she seem to do any research. There are bad stories but I could share hundreds of great stories if I were to share a private groups posts. There are lots of unsuitable dogs rehomed from UK rescues and some very dodgy rescues. I always think Many Tears is in cahoots with puppy farmers. Even people who have a dog from a puppy have issues. There are also plenty of people on this forum with dogs that have killed pet cats, have to be muzzled because they are aggressive or have to be walked in dog fields as they have no recall. So no way of obtaining a dog is perfect.

The Bouncing Bog Trotter

Visit site
We’ve always had rescue dogs and have fostered in the past through a Labrador rescue (although we failed as the dog stayed with us). We are able to foster again due to our circumstances, children are older and I am no longer working and have experience of obedience and field trials training. So we were recently home checked for a rescue and passed but it was only after our home check that we found out that most of their dogs come from overseas. We’ve therefore declined to help. I just feel that we have enough dogs here that need help.

splashgirl45

Lurcher lover
Visit site
Presumably your niece has free will and didn’t have to buy a puppy nor did she seem to do any research. There are bad stories but I could share hundreds of great stories if I were to share a private groups posts. There are lots of unsuitable dogs rehomed from UK rescues and some very dodgy rescues. I always think Many Tears is in cahoots with puppy farmers. Even people who have a dog from a puppy have issues. There are also plenty of people on this forum with dogs that have killed pet cats, have to be muzzled because they are aggressive or have to be walked in dog fields as they have no recall. So no way of obtaining a dog is perfect.

no my niece didnt do any research on foreign dogs as the dog she was supposed to be viewing was not a puppy and was a uk dog and the rescue knew its history ... how many of us would find it easy to not take a puppy? yes she made a mistake but the pup was lucky it went to a dog savvy older person (my sister) and has turned out ok. just because some of the foreign imports turn out ok doesnt mean that it is right. i still say, put money to education and neutering and the blind, disabled dogs that i have seen advertised would be better PTS in familiar surrounding and not subjected to long flights to a foreign country....

Cinnamontoast

Fais pas chier!
Visit site
I just googled how to import a dog. A rabies vaccine is required for the passport: are rescues somehow evading this if they’re importing litters of pups, cos the rule is rabies vaccine at 3 months, no earlier. (Was researching potentially buying in France in a few years)

Sussexbythesea

Visit site
I just googled how to import a dog. A rabies vaccine is required for the passport: are rescues somehow evading this if they’re importing litters of pups, cos the rule is rabies vaccine at 3 months, no earlier. (Was researching potentially buying in France in a few years)

Mine had to be vaccinated for Rabies before coming over and earliest they could come over was 4 months old. Mine was 8 months. His passport has all his vaccinations plus worming and flea treatment prior to export. He’s also micro-chipped.

Travel over took about 3 days in a specially adapted ex-ambulance. Yes it’s not very nice but then being dumped as a puppy to die in the heat was no picnic either. Now he has the best life. There are reputable rescues out there.

All dogs lives matter imo not just British.

CorvusCorax

Justified & Ancient
Visit site
Yep, we've always have to pay either the breeder or a third party to feed/raise/train a puppy for the extra weeks before it comes here/we go to collect it.

Then like I say, the rigmarole of getting the dogs in and out to be scanned on the way in and out...also how do the transporters toilet a vanload of skittish dogs/litters of pups? Or do they just have to go in the vehicle?

misst

Visit site
My lad was properly vaccinated but my vet who checked everything said often the paperwork is wrong. My little one came by plane so maybe a bit stricter and harder to get past with wrong credentials.

Sussexbythesea

Visit site
Then like I say, the rigmarole of getting the dogs in and out to be scanned on the way in and out...also how do the transporters toilet a vanload of skittish dogs/litters of pups? Or do they just have to go in the vehicle?

I think they just go on the van although not 100% sure. Having said that the van did not smell bad nor were any dogs covered in urine or excrement or smell any worse than most dogs not freshly bathed, so obviously frequently cleaned. Not the best experience of their lives but not the worst either and then onto loving homes.

The transporter had their own scanner and each dog was scanned and matched to the correct passport before handing over. Mine is from a Greek Rescue with a very good reputation.

CorvusCorax

Justified & Ancient
Visit site
I still wouldn't put an already traumatised dog through a journey like that, but each to their own. It can be stressful for even well-adjusted dogs/take a long time to recover from.
Dogs live in the moment, they don't know about the future.

Re the scanner, I meant at the ports. You're supposed to hand over passports to a staff member, you get given a scanner that belongs to the port. You scan the dog either in front of them in the terminal or at the vehicle, if you're going through a kiosk, and hand it back to them, it has to match the passport you hand over. This must be a bit difficult with skittish, unapproachable dogs, especially in multiples?
The Eurotunnel staff can be incredibly pernickity.

Dobiegirl

Visit site
Dont forget those bringing dogs over individually like CC will be coming over on a pet passport whereas rescues have different criteria but some are offloaded on the Calais side and come in on pet passports.

CorvusCorax

Justified & Ancient
Visit site
Can you explain how it differs for rescues, DG? I've never been there at the same time to see so I appreciate I may be barking up the wrong tree lol/am interested to find out.
I'm always travelling with a minimum of two.

There was a large van with multiple dogs on the last boat I was on (also show dogs, and obviously professional transporters as well as normal pet people), we were allowed to come down three times (early evening departure, early morning arrival) and that was the only vehicle where the person didn't come down and let them out/check on them.

The greyhounds are always really laid back/look easy to deal with and are obviously handled together.

Sussexbythesea

Visit site
I still wouldn't put an already traumatised dog through a journey like that, but each to their own. It can be stressful for even well-adjusted dogs/take a long time to recover from.
Dogs live in the moment, they don't know about the future.

That sentiment works both ways as they don’t worry that they’re going to be there forever either. Seeing all the happy dogs within days of arrival (some take a bit longer to settle) makes it worthwhile imo. They are uncomfortable not tortured.

Ambers Echo

Still wittering on
Visit site
But you will only be eligible if you are stinking rich, retired and at home all day.....that's why people go to abroad rescues, I'm not saying that's a good thing. but rescues in this country need to get with the times and stop refusing decent people a dog. A farmer friend wanted a spaniel type to accompany him on the farm all day out and about, he was refused as he didn't have a fence around his 1500 acres......he went and bought a puppy and that dog now has a fab life while a rescue dog probably get's 20 mins in the park with a more "suitable" owner.

This! My friend has a dog from abroad. She tried here first and offers an amazing home. But part time work and a cat and kids at home made her ineligible.

CorvusCorax

Justified & Ancient
Visit site
That sentiment works both ways as they don’t worry that they’re going to be there forever either. Seeing all the happy dogs within days of arrival (some take a bit longer to settle) makes it worthwhile imo. They are uncomfortable not tortured.

Dogs don't do sentiment :)
It's often a reason why people justify foreign rescue? That they are treated badly/killed in horrible ways in the country of origin?
Not 'it's an easier way to get a dog quickly' which is now what it seems to be, but at least that's more honest and doesn't resort to overly emotive language.

Some (not all) of the descriptions of foreign rescue dogs don't strike me as being happy dogs and for some it takes years, if ever.
Like I say, each to their own but it isn't something I'd ever do.

There's a person locally who crowdfunded to bring a skinny stray back from a far flung, exotic destination, the dog is obese as it went from scraps to too much dog food, can't deal with noise/normal walks or exercise (it went from a very remote location to a backyard in an estate), has undergone multiple invasive surgeries because of poor conformation and then the excess weight on top and several other concerns.
I don't call that 'love'. The dog would probably be happier pottering about where it was found. It was hanging around humans because it knew humans = food, it wasn't begging for a months-long quarantine in kennels/multi-continental air, road journey and everything that 'love' entails.

{97702}

Visit site
Yet another thread where I wonder why my experiences of multiple rescue organisations in the UK are so radically different to those described ?

I dunno, maybe it’s something I say? And I don’t lie......

Clodagh

Visit site
I'm not sure about the transport thing. I think being able to bring mass unhandled dogs into this country is a recipe for disaster. I am against foreign rescues because of the number that go missing, the crippled ones that are 'rescued' to a fate worse than death and the uncontrolled importation of disease.

When I came back from Australia I bought my deeply neurotic Keplie x with me. She had to fly in a hold for 28 hours and then spend six months in a quarantine kennel. Perhaps I shouldn't have done that (it was for me more than her) but she then enjoyed many happy years in England.

puppyalert

Visit site
https://www.facebook.com/barnabyslaw/?epa=SEARCH_BOX

Serbian, Macedonian and Bosnian dogs coming into Romania with their chips cut out and being re-registered as Romanian Dogs all non compliant obviously. Have a read of Natalies post and how she is hounded and threatened by the rescues she is exposing, lots of money to be made and its all very corrupt.

Trading standards,DEFRA & APPA all aware and some dogs are seized and quarantined but not nearly enough, they dont have the resources or the will sometimes. Im all in favour of trap neuter release in these countries and some rescues to their credit are doing that but some rescues are taking dogs that were never on the streets in the first place and some are even being bred for them.

So many dogs go missing over here in the first week of arriving, its a big bugbear of mine, dogs being adopted out with no assessment and no RBU from the rescue. If you want a foreign dog do your research, talk to other adopters from that rescue and get feedback.

cbmcts

Visit site
While I know some rescues can be hard work, I personally have never had a problem rescuing despite having always worked full time (and until 2 years ago it wasn't WFH) but I did spend the time getting to know the rescue, working with small usually breed rescues and being able to demonstrate what was in place for the dogs when I wasn't home. Children aren't in the picture so that probably made it easier to be fair - rescues do have a huge responsibility when they are involved.

Not easy, not quick at the start but these days, if I am looking for another breed as I am now I have the back up and recommendation of the original rescue which opens the door to rescues that might ordinarily discount me as a full time worker.

In saying that, there is a rescue locally that you can rock up to with proof of ID and address, pay your money and walk away with a dog that day. They take all the stray dogs that the councils collect and only 7 - 28 days to rehome, keep at their own expense or PTS. They take the view that some dogs might bounce back but most will be ok...not sure I agree with them but I can see their point. http://www.acresway.co.uk/

CorvusCorax

Justified & Ancient
Visit site
That's exactly what pounds do, though? And always have done. Pounds/council facilities (even if outsourced) and rescue centres aren't the same thing.

puppyalert

Visit site
I agree with the above post. The import and export of rescue dogs is a minefield and it surprises me how many rescues based in the UK or the exporting country are not fully conversant with the Legislation or are prepared to circumvent and find a loophole. There 3 separate list at the moment (due to change next year when the UK due to Brexit will be a third country as no longer part of the EU). They are the EU, a Listed Country and an Unlisted country. At the moment all rescues who import from the EU have to comply with the Balai Directive 92/65/EEC. Rescues come under trade/commercial (even if money does not change hand) the same for commercial breeders when importing/exporting. It is very important therefore for anyone considering adopting a rescue dog or puppy to be fully conversant and to do their own research not only of the rescue in receipt of the dog but also the rescue they are importing from (please Google for information). It is also important to know what paperwork should accompany the dog on its arrival in the UK and what treatments are required before leaving. The rescue premises in the country of origin must also be Registered by the competent authority. It is illegal to export if not registered. Check out also the transporter used by the rescue, must have Authorisation 2. This may help to enlighten you of the Legislation to cover the import/export of dogs. Most rescues rely upon road transport to import dogs into the UK. The Euro Tunnel only allows vehicles to bring in 20 dogs per vehicle but many bring 60 or more dogs to Calais from Romania including Serbia, Bosnia, Macedonia and Bulgaria and Spain, then a shuttle service will travel from the UK to Calais France bring the dogs back in separate vehicles to circumvent the 20 dog ruling. Some dogs would have travelled for 5 days to reach the UK. Not all will be compliant. Here is a link http://apha.defra.gov.uk/documents/bip/iin/bllv-1.pdf

cbmcts

Visit site
That's exactly what pounds do, though? And always have done. Pounds/council facilities (even if outsourced) and rescue centres aren't the same thing.

Yes I agree that's what they are but they are adamant that they are a rescue :) But pounds are a way to adopt a dog if a rescue excludes you. In this area, there are no longer council pounds as such, the dog is delivered to a kennel for the statutory time that the council pay for and then PTS if not claimed or a rescue place found either at Acres Way or elsewhere.

Cinnamontoast

Fais pas chier!
Visit site
Yet another thread where I wonder why my experiences of multiple rescue organisations in the UK are so radically different to those described ?

I dunno, maybe it’s something I say? And I don’t lie......

Is it because you re-home greys? A friend would works f/t is on her second, 2 kids under 10. So many rescues are determined you have to be retired, no kids, no cats, no other dogs.

MurphysMinder

Visit site
I used to home check for a breed rescue and their criteria was imo too strict. As I pointed out to them, I wouldn't have passed their check yet I was telling people who kept their dogs the same way that they weren't suitable. I did tend to turn a blind eye if I felt the home was right.
However, I don't think foreign rescues are the answer, far too many issues with them both health wise and the fact that many aren't really suitable for a family home. And as CC noted, some people seem to see it as a badge of honour, always referring to my "*****" rescue.

CorvusCorax

Justified & Ancient
Visit site
I agree with the above post. The import and export of rescue dogs is a minefield and it surprises me how many rescues based in the UK or the exporting country are not fully conversant with the Legislation or are prepared to circumvent and find a loophole. There 3 separate list at the moment (due to change next year when the UK due to Brexit will be a third country as no longer part of the EU). They are the EU, a Listed Country and an Unlisted country. At the moment all rescues who import from the EU have to comply with the Balai Directive 92/65/EEC. Rescues come under trade/commercial (even if money does not change hand) the same for commercial breeders when importing/exporting. It is very important therefore for anyone considering adopting a rescue dog or puppy to be fully conversant and to do their own research not only of the rescue in receipt of the dog but also the rescue they are importing from (please Google for information). It is also important to know what paperwork should accompany the dog on its arrival in the UK and what treatments are required before leaving. The rescue premises in the country of origin must also be Registered by the competent authority. It is illegal to export if not registered. Check out also the transporter used by the rescue, must have Authorisation 2. This may help to enlighten you of the Legislation to cover the import/export of dogs. Most rescues rely upon road transport to import dogs into the UK. The Euro Tunnel only allows vehicles to bring in 20 dogs per vehicle but many bring 60 or more dogs to Calais from Romania including Serbia, Bosnia, Macedonia and Bulgaria and Spain, then a shuttle service will travel from the UK to Calais France bring the dogs back in separate vehicles to circumvent the 20 dog ruling. Some dogs would have travelled for 5 days to reach the UK. Not all will be compliant. Here is a link http://apha.defra.gov.uk/documents/bip/iin/bllv-1.pdf

20-60 dogs sounds like an industry and one which people should be cautious of supporting IMO.
It's hassle enough doing one or two dogs, I can't imagine what a faff it is with that many, doing it properly.

I do know of ways that people have brought dogs/other animals in illegally and indeed hidden (my father worked in portal inspection, you wouldn't believe some of the elaborate lengths people go to) but I'm not going to discuss them here.

ETA my Mum still works and got a dog of chosen breed from a rescue a few months back. She had to wait until something suitable came up and there were a few false starts and disappointments, but everything turned out ok in the end.

Last edited: