Importing Warmblood - Stud Book Options/Passporting

Cazzah

Visit site
Looking for some advice as am getting increasingly confused!

I moved across to Australia around two years ago with work and have bought a lovely young warmblood whilst I have been here who I have broken and begun competing. We are now moving back to the UK - and she is coming with us! I have IRT handling the flights, customs clearance etc etc but am looking for some guidance regarding passports and breed society registration etc.

She is graded as a head stud book mare with the Australian Warmblood Horse Association. Her breeding is here: http://www.allbreedpedigree.com/sandalwood+deeva

Although she will be my competition horse, dressage and potentially a little SJ and eventing, I will look to breed with her in the longer term so I am looking for some plain English guidance through the various options for registration in the UK.

Any help would be appreciated!

popsdosh

Visit site
Sports horse GB would be my obvious first port of call as they run mare gradings or possibly British warmblood however not so popular . Which ever you choose they will only over stamp her existing passport.

Lgd

Visit site
I would go SHB-GB as there is a gap in the 3 generation pedigree and WBS can be a bit squirelly about that.

SHB-GB do mare gradings right around the country.
I went that route with one of my mares as she was passported by her breeder with the old BHD (and was parentage tested). When passporting became mandatory I registered her with AES no bother.
Problem I hit was when I wanted to mare grade her I needed her breeding information. Wetherby's would only release the information to her breeder as the last registered owner and she was dead. I bought her from the breeder's daughter and that was after the BHD went defunct.
SHB-GB were very helpful and I put her through the mare gradings. They can be graded just in hand but I chose to ride her as well (she was coming up to PSG level at the time). She also got grading points for her performance record - the higher the level they have competed at successfully, the more points they get. You have to submit a copy of their competition record when you apply for the grading, so if you are affiliated get a copy of your record before you leave.
If there are gaps in the pedigree they go into the foundation book unless they score 8.5 or more in which case they are submitted to the head mare book on their grading score.

crabbymare

Visit site
ditto lgd but you may possibly be able to get round the wbs 3 generation problem because the dam of montora was called tora so even though her pedigree was not known it would give you the required 3 generations.

Cazzah

Visit site
Thanks all. Will give SHB-GB a call to discuss options as looks like this may be the way to go. :)

Exciting but daunting times!

Rollin

Visit site
If your mare is already graded for the Head Stud Book of another breed society, she may not need to be re-graded for SHGB. I know they accept for overstamp mares graded for other EU stud books. Email and ask.

I am a great supporter of SHGB, my stallion is graded for them and I have a mare and filly registered with them.

cundlegreen

Visit site
Marian is the one you want to speak to. I found her very efficient with my enquiries. You'll only get hold of her between 12-00 and 4-00 GMT.

ihatework

Visit site
Marian is the one you want to speak to. I found her very efficient with my enquiries. You'll only get hold of her between 12-00 and 4-00 GMT.

Echo this! Marian is great, best to phone - they are far more organised and efficient than the outdated website might have you believe

Cazzah

Visit site
Sorry for late reply and thanks for all the advice. I called SHGB and spoke to Marion (you're all right - she is very helpful!). Good news as Deeva can have a full passport with them (as she does not have an EU passport) and they will also transfer her head stud book status. She lands in the UK late Thursday and i pick her up Friday am. She then has a vet appointment Friday afternoon for passporting (inc DNA) and jabs. I cant wait to see her - its been almost seven weeks we've been at the opposite sides of the world!