Impossible to catch horse ... any ideas?

HashRouge

Visit site
I'm genuinely curious as to whether anyone has ever encountered a horse like this before and, if so, how on earth they dealt with it! My sister's horse has always been hard to catch, bordering on impossible at times. When he was stabled overnight it was always possible to get him at the end of the day when all the other horses came in, as he doesn't like being alone and knew his dinner was waiting for him in his stable. Since he has been living out, which is by far the best thing for him as he is a chronic crib biter, things have been slightly harder but we have, until now, managed quite well. When we rented a field and needed to catch him, we would take my mare (his companion) out of the field and hide her behind the hedge until he could be caught (usually fairly quickly). On our old yard, where there were other horses, we would simply bring my mare onto the yard and he would let himself be caught once she was out of sight, even if there were other horses in neighbouring fields. This worked 99.9% of the time, though there would be the odd occasion where he would be uncatchable unless all other horses were in.

Fast forward to now. My sister is living abroad and I have moved both ponies to the other end of the country. In many ways we have the perfect set up - 24/7 turnout all year round, plenty of grass, lots of natural shelter, plus the YO feeds and checks for me during the week, which means I don't have to hunt them down in the dark over winter. Very helpful for two grass-kept, retired horses and convenient for holidays too.

The problem - I have managed to catch my sister's horse once in the last 8 weeks :(. When they first moved they were in the summer fields and not only could I catch him when needed, he was positively friendly and always coming up for cuddles and carrots when I was at the field. There were other horses in the neighbouring fields, but even if he was in a tricky mood I could catch him easily by bringing my horse out of the field. Then in November they moved to their winter field. It is on a different part of the farm and has a lot of grass and more or less from the first day he became absolutely uncatchable. I have tried everything I can think of to get him. He no longer cares if he can't see my mare - he will whinny to her but won't let himself be caught. I have brought in all the horses in the neighbouring fields, but he doesn't care because there is a field of young stock behind the hedge so he isn't really alone (they don't belong to our yard, but to a neighbouring stud farm, so not much I can do about them). I have tried herding him into a smaller section of the field then following him around until he gives up. This worked once, but since then he has decided that he can outlast me. I can't mentally manage more than two hours and he just won't give up, even if he is dripping with sweat and obviously exhausted. I have tried feeding and fussing my mare and ignoring him. I tried making a small paddock at the top of the field, herding him in and then withholding his feed for almost a week to see if he would get hungry enough to give up - didn't work (obviously he had grass, though not much). Needless to say I have tried all forms of food and bribery. You can't corner him as he panics and starts jumping fences or runs through people.

What on earth do I do with him? He has missed his vaccinations and his last farrier appointment. The vet has given me some ACP to see if making him dozy works, which I will try before the farrier comes again, but I'm convinced that even if he gets dozy he will wake right up as soon as I try to get near him. By the time the farrier comes again it will be 16 weeks since he had his feet trimmed, which I'm trying to convince myself won't kill him. I'm genuinely at a loss. I've known this horse for years and there has always been some trick that we can rely on to catch him, but none of our tried and trusty methods are working and to cap it all off I'm having to deal with him on my own as my sister is out of the country.

Does anyone have any suggestions, or has anyone had experience of a similar horse. Bear in mind he's more than just difficult to catch!

stormox

Visit site
Can you make a kind of 'funnell' with electric fencing channelling him down into a yard, or stable? Or into a VERY small fenced off area where he cant get away? And leave a field-safe headcollar on him with a small short rope attached to catch him by?

benz

Visit site
I once had a pony that refused to be caught so in the end I chased her away and didn't allow her near any of the other horses. She soon gave in and wanted to come to me (think that natural horsemanship thing where they send them around the ring and eventually horse starts to follow, can't think of the name of it!) anyway I was exhausted but it worked like a charm and she was good to catch from then on.

HashRouge

Visit site
Can you make a kind of 'funnell' with electric fencing channelling him down into a yard, or stable? Or into a VERY small fenced off area where he cant get away? And leave a field-safe headcollar on him with a small short rope attached to catch him by?
He has a head collar on but you can't grab him as he will just wrench the head collar out of your grasp. You wouldn't have a hope of holding him. I did try funnelling him down the passageway from our field to the gate as I thought I might be able to corner him by the gate, but first he looked like he was going to jump out and then he simply turned round and barged back past me. If I hadn't jumped out of the way he would have flattened me. The one problem with our yard is it is not well set-up for what you describe, as I agree that would be the ideal. The problem is that the yard is only gated at one end, so I couldn't enclose him there, and once he is out of the field gate there is the risk of losing him in 500 acres as the whole place is quite open. Frankly, it's a bit of a nightmare!

HashRouge

Visit site
I once had a pony that refused to be caught so in the end I chased her away and didn't allow her near any of the other horses. She soon gave in and wanted to come to me (think that natural horsemanship thing where they send them around the ring and eventually horse starts to follow, can't think of the name of it!) anyway I was exhausted but it worked like a charm and she was good to catch from then on.

Doesn't work, sadly :(. In fact, he has been worse to catch since the one time I managed to catch him using this method. So far I've managed to get to two hours shepherding him round the field and then I have had to give up.

Kaylum

Visit site
What are you feeding, why and where. I would be bringing the mare in feeding outside the field so he can see making a big deal of it but would not feed him. Also when you got him into a smaller area what did you do. You need a lunge line a small round area if you can make one out of electric fencing with help making it smaller and smaller then you don't chase him anywhere you turn away from him and he will come to you then you send him away and onwards. Then you turn away and he should come towards you. This goes on until he stands next to you, put a head collar on him take him in feed him a small feed. Chasing him wont do any good for eitherof you, you make him do the work not the other way round.

Last edited:

HashRouge

Visit site
What are you feeding, why and where. I would be bringing the mare in feeding outside the field so he can see making a big deal of it but would not feed him. Also when you got him into a smaller area what did you do. You need a lunge line a small round area if you can make one out of electric fencing with help making it smaller and smaller then you don't chase him anywhere you turn away from him and he will come to you then you send him away and onwards. Then you turn away and he should come towards you. This goes on until he stands next to you, put a head collar on him take him in feed him a small feed.
This would probably work with a "normal" horse but sadly has been tried and simply didn't work. When he was kept in a smaller paddock we were feeding the mare right next to his paddock and not him, but he didn't really care. Certainly not enough to let himself be caught. He is only fed a small amount of speedibeet and chaff for his supplements to go in. I spent a long time in his small paddock doing as you describe but the problem is that he doesn't want to come anywhere near you. That is what is very hard to understand about this horse - when you have him he is the sweetest, cuddliest horse you could imagine. But when he gets like this he almost gets a bit feral, like he is frightened of you (even though he has never had any reason to be frightened of people). If you turn away from him he just ignores you!

I suppose the one option is to put him back in his small paddock and leave him for longer. He was in it for over a week last time in the run up to Christmas but I let him out eventually as I was staying with my parents over Christmas and didn't want to leave him in there while I wasn't in the local area. But he ate most of the grass down in there so it might be more effective this time.

ROMANY 1959

Visit site
Sometimes this natural horseman and join up just don't work for the odd horse.
We had one, terrible to catch. In a big field near impossible. It's a terrible situation and I've said I will never ever have another that won't be caught.. think your best idea is to hire a natural horseman and see if they can work something out... hobbles are another idea, luckily for us our uncatchable got attached to another mare, and would follow her anywhere.! No help I know, but I feel your frustration and good luck.

HashRouge

Visit site
Sometimes this natural horseman and join up just don't work for the odd horse.
We had one, terrible to catch. In a big field near impossible. It's a terrible situation and I've said I will never ever have another that won't be caught.. think your best idea is to hire a natural horseman and see if they can work something out... hobbles are another idea, luckily for us our uncatchable got attached to another mare, and would follow her anywhere.! No help I know, but I feel your frustration and good luck.
I have thought about getting someone in. I think I'm just a bit sceptical that anything achieved with this horse would have a lasting impact. He is a very peculiar character!

I think I will herd him back into his small paddock and just see if he gets hungry enough to let me catch him (will stop giving him his feed). I feel mean doing it, but realistically he has GOT to be caught for the farrier at some point!

Kaylum

Visit site
Do you have any electric fencing tape and posts? If so get him into the smaller paddock and make a round pen a small round pen around him then do the turn away he wont ignore you if he had no food no where to run. This is why its easier to do in a round pen there are no corners so they have to go round.

I know its easier said than done x

LovesCobs

mancunian in Cheshire, actually now in Wales!
Visit site
I know you think the walking him round until he allows you to catch him doesn't work and maybe it won't but when I had to do it it took over 3 hours, I think I have her a treat and immediately let her go and ten minutes later tried to catch her again, 1 hour that time. Let her go. Waited half an hour and tried again ten minutes to catch her that time. I repeated this until she was far easier to catch. I think the day I decided to do this I was determined to stay in the field until I had her. I had my daughter bringing me snacks! She still occasionally walks away but I've never had to do the whole process again. Leaving a headcollar on wouldn't have worked for me either as I couldn't get close enough to touch her. I do think her issue was the move to us though and your history of struggling to catch him is worse it sounds really frustrating x

tonitot

Visit site
I had a pony that was a pain to catch and he was scared of people. He would also jump out of an enclosed area if you walked to towards him and tried to catch him or would run you down. I found that getting him into a corner and turning around and slowly walk backwards towards him worked. I would then slowly and gently attach the lead rope to his headcollar and then lead him away. This worked 99% of the time but sometimes it would take a few attempts. With this pony he was so scared that once I'd caught him I couldn't turn to praise him or say anything because he'd freak and ****** off and I couldn't hold him so I just walked away with him. I couldn't even look at him so I saved any praising for when he was secure in a stable. He eventually got to the point where I could walk up to him and catch him in the big field with no headcollar on until I went away on holiday. When I came back he acted like he'd never seen me before and was horrid to catch so had to go back to walking up to him backwards.
Might be worth a try?

rara007

Visit site
Can you herd him all the way to his stable at least to give him a check over? Then I'd consult a behaviourist and get them out in person as to how best to deal with this, they can see the horse and give better advice than online where none of us have actually seen his body language.

Peter7917

Visit site
I would be putting him in a small section long term. Small enough that he runs out of grass quickly and has to rely on you for EVERYTHING that he gets to eat. Little sod.

HashRouge

Visit site
Do you have any electric fencing tape and posts? If so get him into the smaller paddock and make a round pen a small round pen around him then do the turn away he wont ignore you if he had no food no where to run. This is why its easier to do in a round pen there are no corners so they have to go round.

I know its easier said than done x
Sorry I don't think I described my paddock very well - it is pretty much a round pen, with just one corner where it meets a fence. I set it up to look like a small lunge pen as I thought it would be easier. You can't actually make a round pen around him, the way you describe, as he will panic and jump out. I tried the method you are describing re catching him after he had spent a week in the pen with no additional food - sadly it did not work despite me trying for two hours. I think my best way forward is to try again but have him in the pen for as long as necessary until he is properly hungry (feel mean putting it like that!)! I let him out after 8 days last time as I was going away for Christmas. But there was quite a lot of grass in there to start with, so it probably wasn't a long enough period of time for him to get properly hungry.

HashRouge

Visit site
Can you herd him all the way to his stable at least to give him a check over? Then I'd consult a behaviourist and get them out in person as to how best to deal with this, they can see the horse and give better advice than online where none of us have actually seen his body language.
I would like to herd him but sadly the way our yard is set up won't allow for it. The risk is that I will just lose him in 500 acres! I'm not expecting you guys to solve the problem for me, just to see if there are any suggestions that might be things I've not tried/ thought of.

I would be putting him in a small section long term. Small enough that he runs out of grass quickly and has to rely on you for EVERYTHING that he gets to eat. Little sod.

Yes I think this is going to be the way forwards, sadly.

Pearlsasinger

Up in the clouds
Visit site
Fortunately I have never had a difficult to catch horse but with this one, I think I would find a bucketvfeed that he really likes ( even if it has to be molassed), so that he has an incentive to be caught. I wouldn't normally recommend sugary foods but as with everything with horses you have to find a balance and be pragmatic sbout doing what has to be done. Some horses really like the taste of bran.

Imogen Rose

Visit site
This is how it was done at a ranch I worked on for a while. Paddocks are 100 acrea each, and 1 mare was a muppet to catch.
One person drives the truck, one person sits in the flat bed with the rope. Walk over to horse, horse runs off. Get back in truck, and drive after horse, trying to keep them at a trot. When you corner horse after a while and offer for them to be caught, person hops off and walks over. Horse runs off start again with truck. The horse will get tired and look for another option within half an hour or so, if you keep them moving. The other option is being caught.
Every few months this would have to be done again, as walking her down on foot would have taken hours, or not worked at all.
It dosent make them car phobic, they are well aware you are a person trying to catch them.
Have yet to see it not work on a horse.
Although I appreciate this wont be a common thing in the UK...

FfionWinnie

Visit site
Feed him daily in a small lightweight bucket you hold like a tub trug, a deep one which covers his eyes preferably. The fact he has a head collar on will make it much easier. Don't try to catch him at all. Something tasty that he has to chase around like grass nuts. If he's ultra suspicious or not very greedy you'll need to start with it on the ground or held away from you but after a while start having it right up close to you so he has to be in your space to get it. Once he's unconcerned about that I would start moving my arms around / the bucket up and down and hopefully moving the head collar on his face. Then you can gradually build up to slipping a rope through it. Wouldn't clip it on as that will alert him.

If he's got loads of grass so isn't that fussed about the bucket I would simply restrict him until he "needed" me for food.

rachk89

Visit site
I help catch tricky horses at times. You have probably tried this but for a friend once I went to catch her horse while I got mine too as hers had become tricky to catch. I took a small bag full of turnip and after I caught mine and gave him to my mum to hold I just followed the other one around the field slowly offering him a piece of turnip but never allowing him to have it until I did manage to catch him. I didn't chase him as such I just followed and showed him the food the whole time to entice him. Kept the head collar at my side so it wasn't obvious what I wanted and as I walked past other horses I would offer them food so he could see I had food. He was doing what yours is doing too for his owner and others because he wanted to stay in the large summer field rather than go to his stable.

I did sort of the same with another horse who refused to be caught but I didn't even go into the field. Stood at the gate and held out grass for him til he came to me. Then just put the rope around his neck and he let me bring him in. I do find you have to let them come to you if you try and catch them they won't allow it.

Might not work but worth a shot if you haven't tried.

HashRouge

Visit site
If he's got loads of grass so isn't that fussed about the bucket I would simply restrict him until he "needed" me for food.
Yes I think this is going to be the only way forwards. I think I just did not restrict him for long enough last time, he actually needs to be hungry. I wish it wasn't necessary, but he can't go without having his feet trimmed. He is a very, very odd horse in that he is not scared but behaves as though he is terrified of you when he doesn't want to be caught. At least I don't see how he can be scared - before they moved to the winter field he was always coming over for a fuss in the field and would spend ages fussing and cuddling with me, long after the other horse had lost interest and wandered off. And when you've got him he's a dope! I seriously think he might have a split personality disorder :p

Leo Walker

Visit site
Could you put him in the pen without water and then you bring the water to him once a day and only allow him to drink from bucket you have hold of? Not something to do lightly but it wont kill him and it will work much, much quicker than waiting for him to get hungry.

PorkChop

Visit site
Could you leave a short piece of rope on the headcollar, this has worked with a pony we had.

Yes they sometimes stand on it, but desperate times call for desperate measures! Must be driving you bonkers.

Clodagh

Visit site
Could you put him in the pen without water and then you bring the water to him once a day and only allow him to drink from bucket you have hold of? Not something to do lightly but it wont kill him and it will work much, much quicker than waiting for him to get hungry.

This. Cruel but necessary, and is a very N H thing I gather.

Dave's Mam

Visit site
Here's another angle. Do you ever go in the field & NOT do anything to do with the horse?
I tried this with one that was "Uncatchable" It took a few weeks, I basically went and ate my lunch in the field every day. She came near, I moved. I made her nosey. I made her so nosey, she come over as soon as I arrived. After a day or 2 of this, I gave her an apple on the floor & walked off. Moved to a brush over & eventually a rope round her neck. It worked for her.

My current pony however took me 6 months to catch. Couldn't get a headcollar on him & was at my wits end, but a pear & a carrot to tempt his head into the headcollar worked in the end.

Pearlsasinger

Up in the clouds
Visit site
We bought a youngster who were were told was difficult to catch,cthe breeder had only ever moved d her as part of the herd. On the 2nd day she was here she hopped over the wall to next door's pony, who unfortunately has the run of 60+ acres. We caught her easily with a bucket and a halter. She is very noise reactive and we thinkvthatcshe was put off by the jangly noise of a headcollar, could that be part of your problem, OP?

windand rain

Visit site
A bit on the lines of not catching and I know it is a bit cold to try this but the one wild horse I owned was impossible to catch without scaring it to death. I took a seat a big bag of treats and a book and simply sat in the chair and read until curiosity got the better of her. she came to find out what I was doing. I didnt look at her just tossed a carrot or apple over to where she was so she got the taste for them. I then started taking smaller bits so she had to come to me still never looked at her just held my hand out and she would take the treat and run off It took time but she ended up being the easiest to catch as all yuou had to do was rattle a sweetie paper. Fortunately she was petrified literally of electric fencing so for routine feet and vaccinations we could at a push trap her as once you touched her she froze to the spot in fear

Fidgety

Visit site
Could you leave a short piece of rope on the headcollar, this has worked with a pony we had.

Yes they sometimes stand on it, but desperate times call for desperate measures! Must be driving you bonkers.

This is something that a very old horseman once recommended to me years ago and it worked very well with the worn the t-shirt pony that I was riding at the time. The rope doesn't need to be much more than 10 inches long or so, just enough to be able to grab onto.