In an emercgency-how many of you can remove a shoe??

conniegirl

Visit site
Yes i can, one of my ponies came in with a front shoe twisted and half off. Raided my dads tool shed for a hammer and a chisel, got brother to hold pony whilst i niped the shoe off, took 15 mins (cement chisels are wonderful for getting clenches up). But that pony is a star for the farrier, stands perfectly still, doesnt fidget and doesnt lean so i at least didnt have to do it with a difficult pony.

filly190

Visit site
I cant and would'nt try, for fear of causing damage. Once my hubby had to do it and neither of us were very happy during the procedure.

I would if I couldnt get any farrier, get the vet.

kick_On

Visit site
not even in an emergency????
Don't you think it would be a good skill to learn just in case???
How many small events have you been to where there's no farrier or vet. I had horses throw shoes in transit????

conniegirl

Visit site
Thistle, what if like my pony, your horse comes in with a shoe half off a twisted round so the thing at the front (i realy cant think of the name) was digging into his sole, he was hopping, i didnt even move him to the stable he was that bad, i removed it in the field. I phoned my farrier afterwards and he would have taken at least an hour to get to my place (he poped up to check all was ok afterwards) and the vet takes a minimum of 30 mins to get here. Massive amounts of damage can be done in half an hour. Taking shoes off is relatively risk free, its the putting them on that no one should try unless qualified.

PapaFrita

pilar-larcade.com
*pssst* I think it's Filly who said she wouldn't except in an emergency
wink.gif

Santa_Claus

www.katiemortimore.com
I can but generally they are already half hanging off hence the need to be taken off! on a couple occasions had to pull off shoe with bare hands but only a nail or two remained on those occasions!! If required can do it 'properly' from raising clenches to correct removal but I haven't done so in years as been no need to!

emmajanerushton

community.webshots.com
Had to do it with a wrench spanner and a screwdriver managed to knock up clenches with spanner and pull away from heels then used long bit of screwdriver ( not pointy) to help leaver it off, dont make a habit off it but have done 4/ 5 in emergencey and saved as much hooves as poss considering at least 3 of thoses were badly twisted ones.

Patches

Visit site
Only had to do it once. Shoe wasn't twisted, just very loose one side and the shoe was removed before turnout as we felt it might come off in the field and potentially cause a problem. Farrier was coming the next morning and was able to refit the shoe as it'd been removed undamaged.

We've got cows here which we foot pair (we being the hubby and his farm hand!). All the tools we need are to hand in the pairing box for shoe removing. Was a simple job really.

Lucy_Ally

Visit site
My horse pulled off half of a shoe whilst out on a hack and all the nails were sticking into the sole of his foot. I had no tools and his feet were filthy and the nails on the otherside were tight on, but I managed to remove it in about 20min. A bit of the hoof wall broke away but better that than a punctured sole. With the proper tools I would have made a better job.