In an equine emergency...

Visit site
Depends on my shift. If im working with an individual on a one to one basis i'd just have to hope theres another person to take over from me, otherwise not, but i could call my vet and in an emergency she'd handle it.

With an individual on a 2 - 1 basis then yes aslong as that person felt safe to work with a client without me. I could leave immediately. The CEO of the company i work for lives next to my field and keeps her horses beside me so would smooth out any issues for me.

MileAMinute

Visit site
No chance. I'm a student nurse and although I'm supernumerary, I don't think they'd appreciate me nipping off the ward for my horse. That's a good point you've raised though, OP, in that I don't actually have a plan for if this ever happened. Something I need to look into, for sure.

DJ

Visit site
I could, i`m really lucky tbh ... I`d only just started (literally only been there a few days) when the wind blew my fencing down and 1 of my horses got out. They were happy for me to leave and go deal with it. I`m also lucky that the YO and his family will do his best to sort any problems out, and i have a lovely horsey friend who lives on site who i could turn to in an emergency too :)

Theocat

Visit site
Yes, my work is fantastic. The main problem would be getting hold of me in a meeting but my yard owner is very clear on exactly what my wishes / views are if anything awful happens.

Meems

Visit site
The two directors at my office have hearts of stone and definitely would say 'no' ...................... however my office manager is lovely and would definitely let me go asap. To be honest, if it was a life or death situation and my manager wasn't there I would just tell them I was going and walk out .................. I'd worry about the repercussions later on. I've worked there far too long to get the sack!!

Gazen

Visit site
So long as I don't take the p*** my company are OK about it. Earlier this year I had a call from the yard "Your horse's leg is twice the size it should be and roasting hot". Called vet, but they couldn't get to the horse for two hours due to another emergency. I sat fretting at my desk so the boss just told me to go as I wasn't doing any work anyway. As things turned out I arrived at the same time as the vet and was back at the office in an hour and a half, wet, half frozen and stinking of horse.
The cut which was already being treated with Norodine had turned septic and led to septicemia in the leg. The wound was cut back, scraped and cleaned, intravenous anit-b's and steriods and we were given a 2 week course of a different antibiotic (Baytrill this time) and 5 days of steriods. The yard owner looked after her until I finished work.

EquestrianFairy

Visit site
50/50 with me, it would purely depend what my diary was like.
If I had a CPC then no, it would not be something I could cancel but if I was catching up on paperwork or had a quiet day then yes we work on flexi so I could in theory just up and leave, I would however have to come back quite probably unless it wasn't worth the trip back (ie. close to finishing time anyway)

We have part livery on our yard anyway and lots if helpful people so it's unlikely that no one would be able to be there or help if I couldn't get there straight away. My mum is also in a better position to be able to leave at a moments notice and would possibly be able to go and help as well.

My OH wouldn't know one end from the other so I wouldn't ever ask him.

Last edited:

{97702}

Visit site
I don't have a horse any more unfortunately, but would always leave work in case of an equine or canine emergency. I work in HR, so am good at arguing the case for animals being equivalent to children for emergency leave in some cases :p

L&M

Visit site
My boss has horses so totally understands 'equine emergencies' and has a fair few herself! Also my work is only 20 mins from home so a great help.

Moya_999

Visit site
Following on from another thread..

How many of you could up and leave work straight away if you got bad news about your horse? (serious like an injury or colic)

I could easily, my company isnt horsey but they would trust me 100% if i said i had to leave. Working 60 miles from home wouldnt give me much advantage though!

There is no way my husband would be allowed to leave work though - they dont even understand when we are snowed in!

In an emergency like life threatening, NOTHING or no one would stop me. There is always another job, there is not another Macey who is a big part of our family.

Merrick

Visit site
I got a call in my first week as a carer to say my foal had somehow got through the fence at a week old seperating herself from mum and therefore unable to feed. It was May but raining hard and cold too so I phoned my new employer and explained I would be late and you would not have believed the response. Screaming, shouting abuse and swearing at me. I rescued the foal by pulling the post and rail apart and was 10 minutes late to work. I asked if I could use a hair dryer to dry my legs and trousers as I was soaked and she refused.
Despite this and after working an hour unpaid to make up the time anyway she told me I was expected to go to her house, pick her up, take her to the hairdresser, wait for her to have a full colour and cut, and then take her home and get her settled (all unpaid)!!!!!
Needless to say that job didn't last long. In the intervening 6 weeks she assaulted me and said I had deserved the miscarriage I had suffered 3 months before starting, and I should have left the foal as her getting out of the shower at 7.45 was more important! ( her husband and daughter were both there at the time!)
'Nuff said!!!!!

micramadam

Visit site
I had one of these horrible calls earlier this year. My horse was dying. I left work to go to her. I couldn't really have carried on working the state I was in. Luckily the HR department was very understanding of the situation. I was back at work the next day despite the fact she was PTS the afternoon before.

Laafet

adventuresinblackandwhite.co.uk
Well I took a week off after my mare died of colic from uni, I used to also regularly 'miss' lectures to go hunting and it was turned a blind eye to, I never lied I just didn't turn up! In my last job despite it being a horsey one, you were not allowed out for horsey emergencies but weirdly could add your horse at your own livery yard to the stud vet list and go during work hours for that sort of routine stuff. Mind you it depended on who you were. In my current job, I am allowed to go ASAP, when my last nutty horse went crazy after he came home from vets as he hates being stabled he was even allowed to rehab at the stud as we had a better set up there for speshul horses and when Nickel had his op he got to do all his rehab at the stud. He also comes back to the stud for 'holidays' when we are really busy at the sales or such like which is handy.

mynutmeg

Visit site
I know my boss would be reluctant / totally doesn't understand about horsey things but, in my current job, the place doesn't grind to a halt cause I'm not there so I would simply say 'x,y,z has happened, I have to go, will be back asap' and go.
My future career I think it would be much harder to get away

kerrieberry2

Visit site
I would be out the door and at the yard in less than 8 mins! I don't care what they would say, the horses are the most important thing! but when I have had to go they've never stopped me! my mare likes to colic, so I've just made the time up or booked a half day when I got back etc!!

tankgirl1

Visit site
Self employed with animals, so my clients have to understand that emergencies do and will happen and the sick animal has to take precedent. Had a little dog a while ago, turned up to collect her and she had eaten a box of chocolates so emergency trip to the vets. All but one client were very understanding. Same goes for my son as I am a single mum. I do make sure all the animals are seen to, but have to prioritise them if something happens, eg dogs left alone all day will be walked before the dogs whose owners are at home with them and just prefer to pay a dog walker. Does that make sense? If there was a true emergency with either my son or my horse tho, I would be gone, and would deal with the repercussions afterwards.

fuze

Visit site
I've not been in that situation as of yet, touch wood, but if it arose I'd be out the door quicker than they could say "no".

Work is 10mins from the yard, and my boss is pretty understanding.

Crazy_cat_lady

Visit site
Would depend which manager was there, though if one said no I would be going manager above. I probably wouldn't be in much of a fit state to be there anyway.

Think they would expect me to take it as unpaid/holiday/make up the time though.

Need to remember to give yard my boss's number actually as we are not allowed mobiles in work.

Fortunately my mum helps with him and only works part time so she could hopefully also be there but also isn't allowed her mobile with her at work.

Yo does have my permission though to start treatment if anything does happen.

Roasted Chestnuts

Visit site
To be honest I've never asked if I could leave if always just told my manager in jobs that I'm leaving as I've for an emergency and I'll work back the time. Not one has had an issue with this in the past.

Luckily I've not had many horsey emergencies that have required a dash home now vet had a colic I. My present horse and he doesn't get into mischief often :)