In front of the leg and behind the leg - explanation?

tootsietoo

Visit site
Can anyone describe to me what they understand by these phrases? They are used a lot by coaches and whilst I think I understand what they are trying to ask riders to do, they don't actually give me a clear visual or feeling that help me do the right thing. Or is it as simple as a horse in front of the leg is energetic whilst a horse behind the leg is being sluggish and lazy?

Barnacle

Visit site
I like to think of a horse that is "behind the leg" as one that needs reminding. While a horse that is "in front of the leg" is one that reads your mind.

But basically, yes, it's that simple.

crabbymare

Visit site
pretty much as above in front of the leg the horse is taking you forwards (politely and without rushing). and behind the leg you are having to send the horse forwards. in front of the leg does not mean no leg though :)

oldie48

Visit site
I am no expert but I think it means "is the horse on your aids" or in it's own la la land. It might be rushing forward, or it might feel really sluggish but when you ask for something, does it react?

Pigeon

Visit site
Yes, your horse can be galloping and still behind the leg. I guess its quarters engaged and on the aids. When your horse is in front of the leg you will KNOW :p

tootsietoo

Visit site
see, those explanations are all slightly different! I think lots of teachers have taken up using it without realising that it means slightly different things to different people. Next time my instructor uses it I'm going to have to ask her to tell me exactly what to do.

Would like some more suggestions if anyone else has other ideas?

AdorableAlice

Visit site
Behind the leg and on the forehand in canter.

060_zps4b927e4f.jpg

In front of the leg in canter (newly broken horse) still on forehand but not as bad as the other cob.

DSCF1489_zpsg0qudrfr.jpg

There are lots of differing ways to describe the feeling and way of going. In front of the leg for me is a horse that is looking and moving forwards in an uphill frame with the power coming from behind into a even contact.

Behind the leg is a horse that is often behind the vertical or stretched out like a washing line, is not moving forwards with a purpose. A young horse will often be behind the leg until he learns to carry himself and the rider. A sharp or nappy horse can be behind too, often in a nasty way !

When you feel in front of the leg you will certainly know it and remember a well schooled horse will be in front of the leg in all paces including halt.

LeannePip

Visit site
My last horse was pretty much always behind the leg, she was pretty lazy and i had to work quite hard to get her off small aids.

My youngster however is a bit more 'fiery' and very sharp of my aids, shes always moving forwards regardless of the speed or pace which we are going at so i would describe her as more in front of the leg because i am not having to work hard to keep her there

Palindrome

Visit site
It's probably not the technical definition but when my horse is in front of the leg, she goes from a light squeeze and it feels like her whole body is one block and she is working through putting a light contact down in my hands, with a slightly rounded topline. When she is behind the leg, she can go banana shaped and lift her head, tuck her head in (behind the bit) or be crooked but it doesn't feel like I have a direct connection through my seat, leg and hands and she is uncomfortable to seat.
Perhaps a better explanation is that when in front of the leg you literally feel like there is a lot of horse in front of your leg (perhaps because he is more uphill?) that you can move and turn from a light squeeze of the calves/change in your seat.

Bernster

Visit site
I get where you're coming from OP, as although these replies are all great, there are some differences. I def agree it's better to ask what someone means by that and there is a tendency to use set phrases but it's not often someone asks me what I think they mean by a certain phrase. I'm terrible for trying to work it out in a haphazard manner when really I should just say, what exactly do you mean by that?

I spent a frustrating session with a well known local instructor who came highly recommended, who kept shouting "more contact" at me. I thought she meant, take a firmer hold of the reins. When she finally took the reins off me to do it herself (which still didn't help as I couldn't work out what she was doing with her hands anyway), she said I had a grip like a boxer. Ho hum. Never did work out what she wanted but didn't go back for a return visit !

tootsietoo

Visit site
Exactly Bernster, it's become a set phrase which people seem to assume means something to everyone! When I hear it I just start picturing the shoulder, when actually from these replies, "in front of the leg" is all about what's going on behind your legs! I think my brain must be too literal.

I think the real skill of an instructor is to work out how to describe things to each individual pupil that fits in with the way their brain works to make them understand what they need to feel and do.

eggs

Visit site
For me a horse is in front of the leg if it is working into the contact and in balance. There should be an immediate reaction to the next aid given. It has nothing to do with how fast the horse is going. For me a horse is behind the leg if I give an aid and nothing happens.

Skib

sites.google.com
Very welcome thread -Just one example of fuzzy language used by insiders in the horse world. My conclusion is that it is something one can feel through one's seat while riding - the power of the hind legs coming through under one - so subjective. The expression is then used when the rider whi has felt that is teaching someone else, in the vague hope of re-creating that same feeling in the student. New expressions are being invented all the time - You can probably be in front of the leg but behind the vertical.

9tails

Visit site
It's probably not the technical definition but when my horse is in front of the leg, she goes from a light squeeze and it feels like her whole body is one block and she is working through putting a light contact down in my hands, with a slightly rounded topline. When she is behind the leg, she can go banana shaped and lift her head, tuck her head in (behind the bit) or be crooked but it doesn't feel like I have a direct connection through my seat, leg and hands and she is uncomfortable to seat.
Perhaps a better explanation is that when in front of the leg you literally feel like there is a lot of horse in front of your leg (perhaps because he is more uphill?) that you can move and turn from a light squeeze of the calves/change in your seat.

I agree with this. Horse doesn't have to be lazy to be behind your leg. Mine is behind my leg when she decides to be reluctant to go forward, not meandering along and strung out but condensed into a giraffe of not-going-forward fury. A swift kick and tap of schooling whip usually sorts that out, though you've got to ensure to let them go forward rather than nagging and trying to get them into the all-important outline... Swinging along, quick to respond and willing are default and she is usually working "up to the aids".

LizzieRC1313

Visit site
I agree with this. Horse doesn't have to be lazy to be behind your leg. Mine is behind my leg when she decides to be reluctant to go forward, not meandering along and strung out but condensed into a giraffe of not-going-forward fury. A swift kick and tap of schooling whip usually sorts that out, though you've got to ensure to let them go forward rather than nagging and trying to get them into the all-important outline... Swinging along, quick to respond and willing are default and she is usually working "up to the aids".

I agree with this too - they're 'on your aids' as it were, they move forward when you ask without constant reminding, but equally if you ask for halt I'd say a horse that is in front of your leg truly would halt immediately too. It's not speed, as in a horse just rushing along regardless of rider is not 'in front of the leg'.

Last edited:

soulfull

Visit site
It also has different levels depending on training levels of horse and rider. To go horse and riders it will mean elevation engagement and a lightness that means with the slightest a is you can perform a pirouette

For a novice level horse to me it would be like driving a car and you want to accelerate, if horse is in front of the leg you just pre the gas pedal, if not you have to change gear first