In hand show - age on birthday or 1st jan?

EmmaB

Visit site
I'm taking my pony to do some in hand showing tomorrow, he's 3 but will be 4 in May. Is he classed as 4? They have a 3 yrs and under class, and a 4 yrs and over. Can't find anything in their rules!

Carlosmum

Visit site
all horses are assumed to be born on 1st january so he will be 4. You can tell the judge if she asks that he is 'rising 4' but as it is so close to his DOB I would just say he is 4

EmmaB

Visit site
Thanks, I wasn't sure if it was just racehorses either, but I thought he'd be classed as 4 for the show. I might just ask when I enter to be certain though!

Vickijay

Visit site
1st of Jan all horses rollover into the new year even if it isn't there birthday for ages.

Like you I have a rising 4yo, who's birthday is at the end of June. She has been classed as 4 for age related competing since Jan 1st though, just like yours.

I wanted to take her to do the 4yo bd classes but she's not ready so at home she stays being a field potato! :)

Carlosmum

Visit site
I think that's true, as I understand it racehorse breeders like their foals to arrive as near or after the 1st Jan as possible, to gain a maturity advantage over later born foals in 2yr old races.
When showing young stock, I speak form M&M experience, one always goes by the year of birth, in a class of say 3 year olds which for this year would have been born 2011 some would have been born in Feb/March others perhaps not till May/June, however they would technically all be 3 yr olds, if I was showing in April I would use the term 'rising' to imply we hadn't yet reached the birthday which might explain why mine was a bit more immature compared to another born in March.
It follows that if the OPs pony was born in 2010 it is a 4 yr old