In hand showing stories & experiences (YOUNGSTERS)

Lea1985

Visit site
Im being brave and taking my one year old youngster to his first little show on sunday :0

Have been practising lots with loading, bitting and leading and trotting :)

Last night we had a little trot in-hand practise! WELL!! We tried too but he just wouldn't trot :( We never usually have a problem really.....he doesnt trot for a long period of time but he does usally trot up nicely

If he does this in the ring will I be laughed at? Am now thinking I should wait until he is a more realiable 'trotter' next year!!

Anyone experienced this please? How did the judge react? Were you placed?

eirewhisper

Visit site
I've judged a few youngstock classes - basically the youngstock class judge should be a bit more forgiving if a baby isnt foot perfect and would not expect a perfect show. I would imagine many other first-time out babies will be the same as yours. Go along for the experience and dont worry about placing, just your youngsters education and making it a fun experience for them. Good luck :)

Lea1985

Visit site
I've judged a few youngstock classes - basically the youngstock class judge should be a bit more forgiving if a baby isnt foot perfect and would not expect a perfect show. I would imagine many other first-time out babies will be the same as yours. Go along for the experience and dont worry about placing, just your youngsters education and making it a fun experience for them. Good luck :)

Thank you for this, Last night I was so disheartened but your right I should go to just to get him 'out and about'

Hes a lovely looking boy so fingers crossed he remembers how to trot :)

hobo

Visit site
I have just bought that t-shirt. I did all the practice and went to the show she behaved beautifully but the judge did say I did not trot her well enough so she got 4th out of 4 and 5th out of 7 the other 2 did not trot at all! No one laughed and she enjoyed her trip and I was pleased I did it and it has given me confidence for next year. Her placing was not helped that her mum had kicked her hock the night before as she had a rug on for the first time! So just go and enjoy.
Here is a photo of her day.
summersfirstshow013.jpg

ladyt25

Visit site
Well, I took mine (2 yo) to his first show and indeed my first in hand show, in July this year. i have to say I was dreading it as I got him in July 2010 and, although have done a fair bit of handling and he's pretty good, he'd never been to a show and i had no idea how he was going to be.

Well, I was pleasantly surprised! Although he was excited to start with i was overall very impressed with his behaviour and I sort of just got on with it and tried to run fairly quick so he HAD to come with me really. I had specifically chosen a very small show but I was dead pleased when we came 2nd out of I think 5 or 6 others. Plus he had then calmed down and was happily grazing when we took his travel buddy in the veteran class. he then loaded first (as he had on the way out) going back home so, all in all acted like a grown up! I would like to get him to another in hand before the end of the year as i don't feel I've done a lot really.

I have to say, I felt fine, noone laughs at you as really in a youngstock class everyone's in the same boat. ALL youngstock are unpredictable and really most people (other than professionals) are just there to give the horse experience.

LeannePip

Visit site
go and enjoy it! as i said before its still a massive learning curve for him even if he doesn't make into the ring on that occasion! i've just finished the youngstock with my youngster and will miss it next year as she'll be four :( no one will laugh at you and judges are very forgiving of youngstock classes as they understand they are babies. go and have fun and post lots of pictures when you get back! Good Luck! x

zoon

Visit site
I took my yearling out this year to a local show and then to the futurity. I was taking him out for experience both times - I went to the futurity as my friend was going so thought why not! Travelled well to local show, was on his toes, but not unmanagable (I had lead attached to noseband rather than bit as well) and was calling constantly. In the ring he cantered towards judge causing her to leap out of the way! We were 4th out of 5. But very pleased with his behaviour - went away from his companion with no fuss and stood nicely waiting for his class. Only annoying this was the calling. Very proud since he is entire and knows it! Even better behaved at futurity, but didn't like being left alone

miss_c

Visit site
I'm very lucky that my youngster is the most laid back horse ever. However I've been in classes and seen horses going mental, and horses flat out refusing to trot at all. Don't worry, judges are a bit more forgiving with youngstock.

My baby last weekend at her first big stay-away show:

309369_669550864550_200900908_36242404_887918049_n.jpg

Earlier in the season:
305292_666260144180_200900908_36174595_7501761_n.jpg

Her first show under my ownership as a yearling:
31745_580828669540_200900908_34695076_2264471_n.jpg

Her very first show as a 6 month old when I ran her for her old owner:
31465_580104011760_200900908_34665785_6366850_n.jpg

Visit site
Been there, seen it, done it, got ten thousand t-shirts! No matter how much practice you do at home you will never know what they will do on the day!

I entered my yearling colt and 2yo colt ino their first show. Both had bits in for the first time the night before and had their first trots the night before - both went disasterously wrong! So we took them along anyway. The yearling trotted out like a beauty but he also dropped and rolled in front of the judge. The 2yo went like a dream but then refused to do the lap of honour. They never looked back and went from strength to strength and showed themselves off properly in the ring themselves 2 or 3 shows later and loved it.

Took a yearling filly who had had a fair bit of handling and training who stood stock still and refused to move in the ring. When she did move she shot forward at the speed of light dragging me along. Her 2nd show wasn't much better. 3rd show and she was a pro at the game.

My Welsh colt went to his first show and danced and pranced like a proper Sec D, went in the ring and had to have the steward chase him along with the clip board to get him to trot.

Every pony is different. Some will take it in their stride, others will get stage fright. Take your wee beasty out because there is nothing better for their education! You won't get laughed at, it's kind of expected for youngsters at their first shows to need a shoo along or an extra barrier put up as a brake.

competitiondiva

Visit site
Well I took my 2 year old to his first shows this year too, (except the futurity he did at 4 months old, but that was quite a different environment) The first of the 2 shows was early this year, he was having a growth spurt at the time so was bum high, and he lacked topline, but we went for experience, it was just a little local show, it was his first time being travelled alone and he sat on and broke one of the breaching bars! Travelled there very uptight and was very sweaty on arrival, but we'd given ourselves plenty of time so travelled very slowly. On arrival we got him out straight away and let him look around. I thought he'd spend the whole time on his back legs, but he didn't whinnied alot but soon found the grass and settled, he was dry well before our class, and he behaved perfectly in it. I couldn't have asked for a better first outing really. His second I was panicking about, he'd done alot of maturing physically and mentally over the summer, but this was a big agricultural show with his class in the main ring!!! Again we went for experience, but this time took along a little 10.2 trailer companion for him, which worked fab, it wasn't a pony he particularly knew, but was enough company to keep him quiet for 1 1/2hrs he had to spend waiting on the trailer!! Once off though it was a very different environment and he would not stand still, as we'd done most of the prep at home and he hadn't sweated up this time, we had to go in without the full prep of quartermarks and hoof polish etc. Which again I wasn't too fussed about as we were there for experience. Well he was fantastic, he spooked at almost everything, but went past everything too. even a big crane with a flapping entrance sign above! bouncy castles, lots and lots of people, tractors etc, he even took lead over a 3 year old who's handler couldn't get their's past a tent!! not that my boy had seen anything like this before!! In his class he did not stand still at all, even when plied with polo's he only stood for the time it took to get one out of the packet!! He did break into canter on several trots and tried to join the shires in their ring!! lol! never seen a shire before!! But on a whole, did his walk around and trot ups without too many mishaps!! the judge was brilliant, on giving out rossettes she said he's going to be an absolute cracker just needs to settle and mature a little! Which was fair enough! I was over the moon to get a 2nd place rossette too!! So basically don't expect it to be perfect, they are babies and the judges know it, both judges said it's so nice to see babies out at shows, it does them so much good. Just remember to
a)breathe
b)smile if you can! lol!
c)stay safe (wear a hard hat and gloves)
d) ENJOY!!!!
oh and here's my star!!
alfietenbury2011.jpg

Tnavas

Visit site
My Clydie girl was always reluctant to trot in hand - my friends have a trotting track around their property and we'd practise out trots, schooling whip to convince madam that trotting was expected. We'd trot for a few metres and then she'd stop with the expression on her face that could very well have said "Clydesdales don't do fast! We can get there in walk you know!"

On the day of our first show she stunned me by doing the most amazing extended trot with me hanging on for dear life, legs doing the running motion but barely touching the ground - now I'm worried we won't stop! We did though and one the class - so overwelmed that I hadn't realised we were supposed to be in the Championship class and had to be dragged in totally bewildered.

I swear she preens when at shows - she loves being the centre of attention. This is her at her very first show. Good luck and have fun.
JPEGWishawSerenity3.jpg
JPEGWishawSerenity1.jpg
JPEGWishawSerenity4.jpg

Lea1985

Visit site
Thank you so much everyone!! Im at work all day today so had to bath at 5am this morning :( practiced with the lorry and travel boots last night.....he was a little star! and this morning with his first full on bath and sock scrubbing :)

Will update on here tomorrow! Watch this space

Thanks again

Lea xxx

Tnavas

Visit site
A tip for Ultra white socks.

Mix a pot of Curash baby powder with some warm water until a smooth soft paste. After washing the socks and using a toothbrush scrub the mix well into the socks.

I bandage mine using white hand towels as padding and wither white or blue bandages - in case the dye runs. When dry - at the show remove bandages and brush out excess powder.

Result very blingy legs

Ladylina83

Visit site
I took my yearling out last weekend for the first time - it was fab ! You've just got to get on with it - I figured anything he chucks at me now would only be 10 times worse when he is a 2 year old and full of strength

In the individual trot up he just stopped half way and then carried on again - I laughed lol - the judge should understand that babies will be babies - we still came home with best yearling :) Proud mum

Off to a trailblazers show this weekend ! Onwards and upwards

Good luck

Lea1985

Visit site
A tip for Ultra white socks.

Mix a pot of Curash baby powder with some warm water until a smooth soft paste. After washing the socks and using a toothbrush scrub the mix well into the socks.

I bandage mine using white hand towels as padding and wither white or blue bandages - in case the dye runs. When dry - at the show remove bandages and brush out excess powder.

Result very blingy legs

Thank you Evelyn!! I did this someone else gave me the tip! Only thing is because of work I had to bath this morning but show is tomoz morning :( left the talcy paste on for today! Hoping the mud will stay clear of them! x

Lea1985

Visit site
I took my yearling out last weekend for the first time - it was fab ! You've just got to get on with it - I figured anything he chucks at me now would only be 10 times worse when he is a 2 year old and full of strength

In the individual trot up he just stopped half way and then carried on again - I laughed lol - the judge should understand that babies will be babies - we still came home with best yearling :) Proud mum

Off to a trailblazers show this weekend ! Onwards and upwards

Good luck

Thank you hun!!!! Just got a feeling he will be like ''mum! I just wana walk ok???? It doesnt matter how fast you run im walking!'' teehee x

LittleWildOne

Visit site
Good Luck for your show, and try to use it PURELY as an educational experience for your baby :).
I bought a 2yo New Forest filly in May. She was born and lived wild out on the forest until 3 weeks before I bought her. There was a local show at our yard a couple of weeks ago so I decided to enter her for the experience. I did the in hand condition and turnout, to use as her first "lesson" of being in a ring with other horses. She behaved impeccably but didn't get placed. I also entered the M&M in hand, which was mixed breeds (everything from Shetland to Welsh D) and mixed ages (adults and youngstock). She was even better in the ring in this class, almost as if she knew exactly what to do. We LED the class round as she really walks out (I didn't want to go in first incase she planted her feet and wouldn't move). Individual trot round, she was foot perfect, even arching her neck and pricking her ears :cool:.
Once the judge called in her initial line up, my pony stood patiently waiting for her turn. When out turn came, she showed herself off like a real professional (been there, done it all pony). We were placed 4th in our first ever Mixed M&M class, BEATING ADULT WELSH COBS :D.
Just bear in mind, EXACTLY 4 months before this show, she was living WILD on the New Forest. Good luck and have fun :)

Ladylina83

Visit site
Thank you hun!!!! Just got a feeling he will be like ''mum! I just wana walk ok???? It doesnt matter how fast you run im walking!'' teehee x

How have you got on ?? Did you enjoy it ?? no bruises ??lol

We came home with 2nd in the best condition as after all the blooming organising we missed the youngstock class - how they managed to get through 7 classes in 2 hours god knows ! So I thought well we are here now and won't hurt to walk round the best condition, couldn't believe we got pulled in 2nd he really was a good boy - a massive improvement from the weekend before.

There was a bit of a bust up from the lady who came in 4th though with her fat lead rein pony - she told the judge he was wrong to place a yearling and he obviously knows nothing about condition !!! Judge said he has great condition for a yearling - I have judged him on that and not compared him to the adults (and then she stormed out of the ring, fab example to her daughter.) It was lovely to hear though after last weeks youngstock judge telling me she can place yearlings up with the more mature animals, but that is showing I guess

Update us as soon as you get home Mrs x

Solo1

Visit site
First time I took mine out, foolishly didn't bit as she was a dream at home. Went and did about three laps of trot, rolled, and she cow-kicked me! Did a spectacular bronc whilst supposed to be standing still... Got placed 2nd :D

Second show she was bitted but still lively, tried to eat judge and roll again... trotting towards judge she got a very determined expression and tried to run her over... judge had to dive out of the way... somehow won the class!

Third show she was so backward, took a lot of flapping to get a very grudging trot from her!

As everyone says, they behave totally differently out, be warned!

Lea1985

Visit site
Girlies!!!!! I survived!!! Since Sunday had a broken phone and computer......phone now fixed!!!!!!!!!!! Sooooooooo update......loaded like a little star, I drove the lorry (my first time driving) very slowly and got there safely....unloaded perfectly too :) my Arab mare came with a friend too she was class one. So I thought let's take a little walk round to watch her in the ring....walked to the ring perfectly tess went in the room and BOOM evil baba Xander irrupted!!!! Vertical rearing and a kick in the tummy for me :((((

So dragged him back to the lorry and made he calm down! Convinced myself I wasn't going to put him in the youngstock class as I had said if he played up we would have it as an experience day only!!

Anyways.......after giving myself a talking to I got him ready and decided bugger it! I'm doing it!!!! Left tessa with my friend at the lorry and walked him to the ring (heart beating so fast and I felt so sick) got him in the ring and he settled right down! Walked well and did the trot to the back perfectly!!!!! Stood well and was pulled in at 3rd half way through the class.........individual show bit was ermmmmm SLOW as he wouldn't trot anymore! So he was dropped and place 5th out of 5......judge said he had fab confirmation,chest and knees! That she thought he was true to type with a lovely neat head....

Sooooooooo I was very very proud of him! Next show 23rd October!!!!! Going to nail the individual show bit then! Piccys to follow once computer working.....thank you do much for all your tips and support xxx

hobo

Visit site
Glad you had a good day and worked through the little hickup! He was probably tired when it got to his individual but sounds like the judge liked him. Looking forward to some pictures.

Visit site
Very well done indeed! It's all experience for them at the end of the day and that is far more valuble than any amount of rosettes!

Good Luck for next week and as they say - the only way is up!

sarahrees

www.myspace.com
Fantastic well done :D

Took my boy to his first show the other weekend too
he was fab so proud of him. hes my first homebred and we been practicing like mad :)
He trotted out like he'd been doing forever :D and he won his class
bring on the next show now
015.jpg

020.jpg

Ladylina83

Visit site
So glad you made it back alive I was starting to get worried , from my experiance standing around would be the worst thing to do gives them to much time to think about things - just take one horse next time so you can focus on the job in hand . Off the truck in the class do yours bit and go home , that is more than enough for these youngsters xx

Lea1985

Visit site
Thank you everyone :) ladylina83 soon as he had done his class he lapped up all the attention and stood so well tied to the lorry with tessa whilst we watched the showjumping from the side of the lorry.....I was so amazed about all the comments I got from people at the show :) everyone thought he was at least 2! He's only just one! Also everyone though he was entire too as he was strutting around the show ground....Sarahrees your boys stunning!! Hobo I think your right he tired himself out....although wen we did a little lap of honour he trotted fantastic!!!!! Judge shouted 'oh he decides now is the time to show off' couldnt believe how friendly people were....EKW thank you :) xx (can't quote from posts on this silly so called smartphone!!)