In-hand showing the lickle ex-racehorse, what weight?

Girlracer

Visit site
Hello guys,

I am aware i seem to be constantly asking questions about the lickle ex-racehorse however i'm bored and i need a bit of guidance on correct condition for showing.

Basically on May 2nd my little man has his first show, we are doing racehorse to riding horse in hand and then ridden. He is currently quite fit, and whilst isn't under-weight i think a little lean for the show circuit?

His topline is very much a work in progress, and it is improving but being a thoroughbred it doesn't really come to naturally to him. We do lot's of long and low, pessoa work and stretches as well as some hill work when i can be bothered to hack all the way to our only hill :rolleyes:

I was only giving him a bit of chaff and some cubes up until about 3 weeks ago as in the snow he piled on the pounds! However he's now on ad-lib haylage, a scoop of molichop a scoop of conditioning cubes (i believe they are bailys) and a glug of oil daily. I'm maintaining his work level as i'd like him to keep fit but just put a bit of condition on. Also we don't have a lot of grass, so don't worry about spring grass ;)

Anyway this was him after the snow, at his well... plumpest!

DSCF0090-1.jpg

And this is more recently...

DSCF0714.jpg

And under saddle...

200361_10150134553559239_588139238_6378570_4330230_n.jpg

293118.jpg

So where does he need to be, somewhere in between?

Girlracer

Visit site
I think he could do light weight hunter at a push, but would need more top line, if I were you I would concentrate on ROR. He still looks to much like a racehorse at the moment. Having said that, spring/summer grass will fill him out. Bt the way, I love him!!

Thanks for that, i do intend on sticking to ROR classes, unless there aren't any in which case i'll pick a random class just for experience.

He still does look very 'racey' despite having last raced in '08, had a lot of time growing up in a field then been brought into 'normal' work in September '10! His topline is improving, it's just slow progress :rolleyes:

jhoward

Demon exorcist...
Visit site
Saying that his top line is not so great cause he is a tb IS not really the case, plenty of tbs have decent toplines, if im honest looking at the picture of the saddle on him this is where a larg part of problem is. it is sitting far high.

pardalis

Visit site
I think he looks lovely as he is. I know the show world likes them plump but I'm not convinced that's all that healthy for a horse considering the pressure of weight on their legs. It's better for his joints to be a healthier weight - although not racehorse skinny. I think he looks great right now.

How competitive are you about showing in hand? If you're not passionate about winning then I would keep his weight as it is and just enjoy the showing experience.

Girlracer

Visit site
Aye they do indeed, and as i said his is much improved... he's only been in 'normal' work since late September, and has a lot of time off during that so unless we're expecting miracles it's un-likely he'll look perfect in that time period... being realistic.

pardalis - i'm not to serious i suppose, i decided he was looking a little to lean about a month ago anyway and he is now a weight i'm pretty happy with. I'm not planning on making him fat don't worry :p

pardalis

Visit site
Aye they do indeed, and as i said his is much improved... he's only been in 'normal' work since late September, and has a lot of time off during that so unless we're expecting miracles it's un-likely he'll look perfect in that time period... being realistic.

pardalis - i'm not to serious i suppose, i decided he was looking a little to lean about a month ago anyway and he is now a weight i'm pretty happy with. I'm not planning on making him fat don't worry :p

I really love the stories of ex racers having a purposeful riding life after their first career. I've read a few of your posts and yours is a story I would like to emulate one day. Hope you continue to enjoy him - he looks fab. I really loved your signature with pics of him racing and then with you

Big hugs to the lovely Majority (and you) XX

Girlracer

Visit site
I really love the stories of ex racers having a purposeful riding life after their first career. I've read a few of your posts and yours is a story I would like to emulate one day. Hope you continue to enjoy him - he looks fab. I really loved your signature with pics of him racing and then with you

Big hugs to the lovely Majority (and you) XX

Aw thank you, that's really lovely to hear. I like to think he's happy here with me, we're having lot's of fun anyway :)

Crazy Friesian

www.stablepeople.co.nr
Ah GR, he is lovely - However, can I suggest that you take another look at the pic of him under saddle. I would seriously start there with regards to his topline. For me I prefer that a saddle fits with a thin cloth underneath. If you have to start padding it out then there is a problem. To me it looks like the saddle is too high and tipping back.

Try taking the numnah out and see how it sits on his back. You will not be able to improve his topline if he cannot raise his back if the saddle is not fitting comfortably enough. Believe me, I have been there... I was unable to ride for a year because I had saddle fitting issues with my horse. :(

He's a lovely sort and looks like you could have a whole load of fun with him.

Girlracer

Visit site
I will look into having his saddle re-checked then, although i don't always pad it out. Only for funrides and such, and i school in a dressage saddle (most the time). I will get it checked out though, but i certainly cannot afford a new saddle and this one isn't mine to sell un-fortunately.

jhoward

Demon exorcist...
Visit site
Im sorry but i think that your horses welfare should be the most important the saddle as you ahve it does not fit and will cause extensive damage, i would think your horse is already sunken around the withers and proberley along the spin.

AS an owner we owe it to horses to ensure they are comphy, lets face it you wouldnt walk around in shoes that cramped your feet and gave you blisters would you.

Girlracer

Visit site
Im sorry but i think that your horses welfare should be the most important the saddle as you ahve it does not fit and will cause extensive damage, i would think your horse is already sunken around the withers and proberley along the spin.

AS an owner we owe it to horses to ensure they are comphy, lets face it you wouldnt walk around in shoes that cramped your feet and gave you blisters would you.

Did i not just say i was going to get it checked? :confused:

I suggest you go and talk to someone who truly doesn't care for their horses welfare, Major does not want for anything his teeth are done regularly as is his back (who by the way did not mention anything to do with muscle wastage dues to a poor fitting saddle). I'm pretty sure there are thousands and thousands of people who have a saddle that probably fits so poorly it gives their horse sores, this one doesn't it doesn't make to much or to little contact anywhere and he moves fine in it. HOWEVER i have already rung a saddle fitter to come and have a look and hopefully point me in the right direction. I appreciate your concern however i have already said i was getting it checked so i think adding to it was un-called for?

Last edited:

jhoward

Demon exorcist...
Visit site
im sorry, but i was going on your sentence saying that you couldnt afford a new saddle.

I am sure theres plenty of worse off horses in the world, but it can be easy not to spot something, a saddle doesnt have to be rubbing for it to create sores. which was kind of my point with the issues a saddle can create in causing muscel wastage.

to be honest If you was the queen id still of said the same thing. :D

Milanesa

Visit site
heym i think the oics of him under saddle and ridden he looks great weight wise, the first one maybe a bit porky! i guess alot depends on the judging on the day too, but i would say not too beefy is better as he is a tb-you've done well to get him looking so great! good luck with the classes, your story is great, you should be very proud of what you have acheived and how much fun you guys are having together-thats what its all about!

lachlanandmarcus

Visit site
im sorry, but i was going on your sentence saying that you couldnt afford a new saddle.

I am sure theres plenty of worse off horses in the world, but it can be easy not to spot something, a saddle doesnt have to be rubbing for it to create sores. which was kind of my point with the issues a saddle can create in causing muscel wastage.

to be honest If you was the queen id still of said the same thing. :D

"if you was the queen?" Good grief, what do they teach in schools?
" if you were the queen" !

Fine to mention if you think the saddle isnt right but OP says she is getting it checked, dont keep gnawing on at her....

OP I think he's looking fab and it's a heartwarming tale which we're really enjoying following. Good luck with the RoR!

archiesmum

Visit site
Hi!

I have added a link to show you what my ex racehorse looked like last summer in-hand. Being critical his topline isn't the most amazing but at 19yo, 4yrs out of racing and in light work hacking and lunging, I don't think he looks bad at all! This is the max weight I'd like him at in the height of summer... he had a good covering over his ribs and a bit of a tummy but his 'poverty line' is still visable when he moves.

http://www.pbase.com/dhbphotos/image/126665899

Hope this helps and good luck!!!! :)

icemaiden113

Visit site

fleabittengrey

Visit site
Whilst the OP and the above two horses are in lovely health and near perfect weight- I'd like to see more topline on all of them, all three have rather poor areas immediately in front of the wither, and a little bit more on their bottom too, strapping is ever so useful here.

fleabittengrey

Visit site
I def agree with your comments about my horse - was just interested to see aswell!

Here is another pic of him
http://www.facebook.com/album.php?a...4&set=a.460504668134.243969.710413134&theater

I would also like to point out that these pictures were taken at his first show after spending 2 years in a field not ridden!

I really like him - and that explains a lot, why he doesn't carry much muscle on his quarters or thigh.

The only thing that grabs me is the tail - I would lop several inches off it, and if you do plait try to take it down a bit further, I think that the shorter plait just makes the hind end look a bit weaker than it actually is?

He has a lovely head and outlook - and is he HUGE or are you a midget? (Just joking!) :p

icemaiden113

Visit site
I really like him - and that explains a lot, why he doesn't carry much muscle on his quarters or thigh.

The only thing that grabs me is the tail - I would lop several inches off it, and if you do plait try to take it down a bit further, I think that the shorter plait just makes the hind end look a bit weaker than it actually is?

He has a lovely head and outlook - and is he HUGE or are you a midget? (Just joking!) :p

Thanks for your comments!
He is a big lad! Have sold him now anyway and he has gone to a lovely home! He came to me to be brought back in to work and sold.

archiesmum

Visit site
Completely agree with the topline comment and I would love to try strapping for this season but not sure how to do it and don't want to make him tense if I get it wrong. His bum is good for him as he can have a pronounced 'jumpers bump'.
The dip at the base of the neck is improving currently now we have a good instructor who gives me the confidence to ride him into the bridle rather than slop along... there is a reason we do inhand!! lol!! :)
Thank you very much for the crit and glad you think his weight is good :)

Carefreegirl

Visit site
Going back to OP, the classes I have done the judges seem to prefer them on the leaner side as opposed to say a 'normal' showing class where the tendancy seems to be carry a bit to much weight.

I'm not saying skinny, far from it. The judges I mentioned were Jenny Pitman and Henrietta Knight (at different shows) so I guess if anyone knows what they like to see it's them. But as with all things horsey one judge's dream is anothers nightmare.

The more shows you do the more tips you'll pick up just by seeing the competition.

Good luck, enjoy and your horse is lovely.

Carefreegirl

Visit site
sorry to hijack ur thread hon but what bit will you be using on him? hoping to start ror classes myself but not sure on bits!

Inhand just a snaffle. Under saddle again a snaffle, double bridle or pelham with 2 reins. I use a hartwell pelham on mine as she has a little mouth (apart from when she's trying to rip my head off) and can't take a double.

www.ror.org will give you tips on dress code etc and lots of pics to study.

Girlracer

Visit site
This is fab thanks everyone, although could someone explain strapping further?

I was given some stretches by the back lady to do daily with him, so we started them on Monday. She also reccomended a few steps backward before feeding/bringing out of the stable small things like that every day. Plus obviously the work on the lunge and under saddle.

Saddle fitter is coming next week, and if we can't get this or the dressage saddle right i'm aiming to get something second hand. :)

Carefreegirl

Visit site
Strapping - theres a blast from the past. The old hunt groom would make a whisp or wisp (not sure of spelling) out of hay and spend hours strapping the hunters. Its like a cross between grooming and hard massaging but mainly on the muscles to help build them up. He would get some hay, make it into a plait then into a palm size disc and pummel the muscles from top to tail. Not quite sure what you would use now or even if you can buy them ready made. I feel really old now.

fleabittengrey

Visit site
Strapping - theres a blast from the past. The old hunt groom would make a whisp or wisp (not sure of spelling) out of hay and spend hours strapping the hunters. Its like a cross between grooming and hard massaging but mainly on the muscles to help build them up. He would get some hay, make it into a plait then into a palm size disc and pummel the muscles from top to tail. Not quite sure what you would use now or even if you can buy them ready made. I feel really old now.

I use a leather massage pad, similar to this but not as bulky, bought at Risley. Its a good few years old now and is really soft.

I've also made one in the past like you describe, but not a hay whisp as I did it with J cloths!

Firewell

Visit site
I think he is lovely!
My mum did county level ROR last year with her horse and he was placed top 3. He definitely wasn't fat, I'm on my iPhone so can't post a pic unfortunately! He was carrying a bit more topline and condition but weight wise he was similar, just more muscles on top.
Re: The saddle, my TB is actually a wide fit, he was a M/W but has filled out. My mums horse who is stupidly high withered is a M/W with a pad underneath. I dont know what width your saddle is but it's common to put a medium/narrow on a TB because of their high withers. Actually they should be at least a M to M/W and pads ect should be used untill they fill out. It's something I've only learnt over the past couple years but otherwise they can't fill out as the saddle stops them. You prob already know this but thought I'd mention it just in case!
I think your horse looks really good, I think it's always best to have a horse very slightly underweight then over weight, better for their legs and body ect. I think a lot of the judges for ROR prefer to see a fit, healthy horse that looks like a TB as apposed to a waddling sausage on sticks ;).

Good luck, I bet you are going to have lots of fun with him :).

Girlracer

Visit site
Thanks again for all your help, the saddle is medium. If the saddle thinks there's no hope then i will have to beg steal and borrow to get another one (despite being in desperate need of a new car... pony first and all that), i've been oohing and ahhhhing at the Albion's all night... i wish!

To be fair to him, he's been in work around 5 months now and before i moved yards 4 weeks ago my facilities and hacking weren't great. This is Major in the first week i had him... i think he's improved a little, hopefully in a few years i can post some good then and now photos :p

60993_433276774238_588139238_4855374_8326441_n.jpg

60386_433963729238_588139238_4866117_3101292_n.jpg

Firewell

Visit site
Oh he looks tons better compared to when you first got him! It's taken me 16 months to get mine looking like he does now so it does take time. You'll prob find he keeps filling out for quite a while yet. My osteo also said that racing so young (flat racers) does stunt their growth and development so they do tend to explode outwards once they get to used to the relative easy life of being a riding horse! I think yours will naturally fill out the more you do with him. From the pics he looks a lovely round, compact sort of tb anyway :)