In-hand Showing

StarFell

Visit site
I've entered a couple of in-hand classes at a local agricultural show with my fell gelding this weekend, and as I've never done it before I'm not really sure what to ezpect. Will I have to use a white halter, or will my bridle do? What will I have to do?

helenhorse

Visit site
I wouldnt use a white halter as they are popular with welsh cobs as we use them..i think a flat nosebanded bridle will look very smart..either a snaffle or pelhem. You will all walk round and usually you will be stopped in a certain corner and asked to trot round individually for the judge to have the first look in order to place you in the line....Once placed in the line up you will all be expected to stand infront of the judge for him to 'judge' the horse and then you will be asked to walk away from the judge turn around (pushing the horse away from you) and then walk back a few steps and then trot passed the judge in a straight line and then settle down back into your line...finally you will be sent large again and the final placings will be chosen by the judge.
it will be fun for you both..remember when you trot back to the judge always trot back straight, dont worry about knowcking the judge over, he'l move!!
wink.gif
you need to show that your horse can move straight..hold the reins about a full hand length away from the bit so you have sufficiant contact but arnt forcing his head up or down. Hold his head up when standing for the judge to show of his neck and shoulder and stand him square so that the judge can access his body and limbs.

good luck and have fun
grin.gif

WhiteHorseWendy

Visit site
I'm sure your bridle will do, thats all I normally use. Usually you all walk round, then the steward stops everybody and one at a time or sometimes all together you trot round then back to walk and the judge calls you in, sometimes in order, then one-by-one you lead your horse to the judge and stand him up so the judge can have a good look, then walk away from judge in straight line, turn and trot back past judge round back of line-up and into place again. Then all walk round again while judge calls in winner first and everyone else after. Award rosettes then victory lap.

StarFell

Visit site
Brilliant, thank you, I feel a lot less nervous now! I have a riding class straight after so will I just be able to wear my riding clothes?

helenhorse

Visit site
agree, i was doing the same thing with a cheeky 4yo sec C mare...i ploncked the saddle on and had to go for a really, really quick gallop to get the buck out of her before going in ridden because she knew it was naughty!!!! still played up tho and boy did she never do it again
smirk.gif
grin.gif
..lets just say we quered that problem when we got home
smirk.gif
tongue.gif

native

Visit site
Best to use your riding bridle if he's ridden. White halters are normally used for youngstock and mares in Fells and Dales. Use a cane rather than a normal whip if you've got one, and if you can, wear tweed rather than black or navy. At the end of your walk away from the judge do a sort of left hand semi circle so when you turn back for the trot you're back in a straight line with the judge. There's also a forum called Fell Pony Fans with a lot of showing people on there.

Hope you have lots of fun.

bex1984

Visit site
Make sure you really trot him out when you do your trot ups and really get him moving, do a bit of a practice at home a few days before you go so you don't end up dragging him behind you! If the judge asks you to trot back towards them, go as straight as possible and aim straight for them - they'll move - they are looking to see if the pony moves straight. When you turn back towards the judge turn so the pony stays nearest to the judge. Stand in front of ponio when you're standing still. You can just wear your ordinary riding stuff, or your show jacket with some smart trousers (they'll need to be pale trousers as he has dark legs). And have fun!
smile.gif

Good luck - can't wait to see pics!