In hand showing

SecretAgentBilly

Visit site
Hi all,
I am showing my friends 12.2 welsh B inhand in a couple of weeks, and I have a couple of questions.. Is it okay for me to wear jodhpurs? (I'm 14 if it makes any difference) and is it okay for him to just wear his normal bridle with no martingale/rein stops or will I have to get a special lead rein thing? Thanks x :)

catkin

Visit site
For in-hand showing it looks better if you wear trousers rather than jods. You don't say what colour the pony is but to really show off his action wear a pair that are the opposite tone to his leg colour ie dark trousers with a grey, light for a dark pony. On top wear a shirt and tie with either a tweed jacket or a waistcoat.
You can show your pony in a riding bridle or a show/inhand bridle- take off any martingale stops and take the reins over his head and hold them under his chin if it is a riding bridle. Natives ponies are shown in plain leather bridles. Go onto the Welsh Pony and Cob Society website - the rules on how Welsh should be shown are on there.
As long as you both look neat and well turned out, most judges will be happy with that
Have a practice of running him up before you go to the show - the welsh can get some speed on at trot!!
Good luck with your show

SecretAgentBilly

Visit site
Okay thank you! The pony is grey with two white socks on his back legs and his forelegs are dark grey so I'm guessing light trousers? Any idea where I can get some cheap ones from? It will be my first show so if anyone has any tips please post :D xxx

Visit site
Given your age you should be ok in jods but it looks so much smarter to wear trousers. Primark do great cheap ones. Also wear your riding hat, again age related.

Watch a couple of classes first if you get a chance to get an idea of what goes on but the main points are: Always pay attention. Don't dawdle in walk or trot but equally don't run faster than the pony is capable of going as they lose tgeir true action doing that. Stand up square. Smile and be polite to the judge. And finally - Have Fun!