In hand tips and tricks

lucy_108

Visit site
I'm taking my pony off to the Royal Highland Show next week for an inhand coloured class. He is a rescue pony and is only just three so we are very much going for the experience. I am super keen for him to get out, see the world and experience 'big show atmospheres' early on in his life as I truly believe it makes them much more confident later down the line. Also, I'm hopeful he's going to make a cracking wee competition pony so I think it's great for him to start experiencing these things now!

I am not a showing person, we've done a handful of in hand bits and bobs over the last 12 months (don't worry, I'm not using the highland as his first show 😂) so just wondering if anyone had any little tips or tricks. We've been working on standing up as well as leading up/trotting up straight and well, but if anyone has any little pointers or tips then please share. I'm fully banking on us getting pulled in last, but I figured we may as well give it our best!

humblepie

Visit site
Good luck. Always be concious of how he is standing so for example when you are the next to be called to trot, make sure your horse is standing nicely so the just sees him standing well and hopefully catches the eye. Sounds like you are well prepped so just enjoy it.

SEL

Visit site
A tip from the owner of a young and appallingly behaved cob at the weekend (judge loved him but said he needed to learn to keep his forelegs on the ground!) is to slip some polos in the pocket of your jacket. Not much good for the trot up / showing off his airs above ground - but very useful to keep him still in the line up.

And fly spray. The flies were horrendous and even experienced show horses were twitchy at times.

Also do make sure you can trot up in hand because there were a few who just didn't want to shift out of walk. It was humid and horrible but you could tell the ones who knew what a trot up was and those horses who just couldn't understand what they were supposed to be doing.

Plus comfy shoes. Having had experience of flying a baby cob recently I wore my steel toe caps and I think I'm going to lose the nail off my little toe from running in them.

Green ribbon in the tail of a youngster and then people will hopefully give you some space too. Not that yours is likely to be as badly behaved as mine - he was "special"......

MagicMelon

Visit site
Yes, as said already - make sure pony is stood up as nicely as possible at all times. Im certainly no in-hand pro, however I hate seeing people in the line-up letting their horses rest legs just because the judge isnt looking at them at that exact moment (she could easily turn round though!).

I always kept mints in my pocket, Id put it in my fisted hand when they need to be stood up for the judge, they smell it and usually prick their ears, can also guide their head up/in a little to give them a better shape.

The highland is certainly an experience! I'll never forget riding my Welsh Cob there many years ago, rather exciting! Best of luck!

Visit site
Don't put a ribbon in their tail. It's not the done thing in the show ring.

Make sure your pony trots properly next to you as and when you tell it to. When you set off for your trot round the edge walk 2 or 3 steps forwards first before going into trot. Same when you do your walk away trot back to the judge. Walk away in a DEAD straight line -look at something in front of you and aim straight at it. As you near the point of turning come out to your left slightly so you can turn a small circle rather than turn on their quarters. Walk 2 or 3 strides back towards the judge - and again aim straight for them, they will move when you get near them - set off trotting, don't stop at the judge keep trotting past and round to some vague place half way down the line up then walk back to your place.

Visit site
@Elf On A Shelf why not the green ribbon? Is that just a tradition thing? I guess at the bigger shows they're used to youngsters and green horses showing up

No matter the colour of ribbon you don't want to advertise that your horse is an arse in front of the judge. Many of whom do take manners into consideration even in youngstock inhand classes.

The Fuzzy Furry

Getting old disgracefully
Visit site
@Elf On A Shelf why not the green ribbon? Is that just a tradition thing? I guess at the bigger shows they're used to youngsters and green horses showing up
Not for showing, the only ones that wear ribbons are Dales ponies in their tail and heavy horses. Even the welsh D's no longer have a little ribbon on the draw back plait.
Green ribbon for hunting and perhaps warm ups when busy.

rara007

Visit site
No ribbon in the tail :) You’ll presumably be in a class of youngstock so won’t be the only green one in it!

abbijay

Visit site
Practice, practice, practice! And then video your practice! Really useful to see what the judge will see which you can't do when you're next to it! Your horse must know their cues for forward and slowing down clearly.
I went to an in hand clinic day at the start of the year, with the Shire Horse Society, and while lots of it won't apply to light horses they raised a very good point about finding the best trot for your horse. For some that is more onwards than others. They also covered a lot about putting ribbons in tails (and manes) but that's not applicable to you!!
I definitely keep treats in my pocket for when it all takes a while, stops him trying to eat the ring!

dorsetladette

Visit site
Don't put a ribbon in their tail. It's not the done thing in the show ring.

Make sure your pony trots properly next to you as and when you tell it to. When you set off for your trot round the edge walk 2 or 3 steps forwards first before going into trot. Same when you do your walk away trot back to the judge. Walk away in a DEAD straight line -look at something in front of you and aim straight at it. As you near the point of turning come out to your left slightly so you can turn a small circle rather than turn on their quarters. Walk 2 or 3 strides back towards the judge - and again aim straight for them, they will move when you get near them - set off trotting, don't stop at the judge keep trotting past and round to some vague place half way down the line up then walk back to your place.

This.

Pony needs to walk and trot straight next to you. Not pulling, you don't want to be pulling the ponies head round to slow down constantly as it will look like the pony isn't moving correctly even when he is. So lots of practise at home to speed up and slow down next to you nicely.

While standing in the line stand facing your pony so you can correct any movement quickly. If you grab the judges attenion in a negative way its much more detrimental to your placing than anything else. so no turning/spinning in the line if you can help it.

I'm sure you already know, but wear trousers that contrast with ponies legs. It makes it easier for the judge to see the ponies movement from a distance.

And most of all. You stay calm, if your calm you have half a chance of pony staying the same.

Good luck and enjoy your day.

lottiepony

Visit site
Some good points in here.
Echo elf on a shelf - run straight at the judge, they will move, nothing worse than seeing the judge have to move to get a proper look at a horse.
Also listen carefully to any instruction given either by the steward or the judge, could make the difference on a placing!