In need of a farrier in Surrey

I.M.N.

Visit site
I'm looking for a farrier to come and shoe my youngster for the first time, my current farrier is semi retired and doesn't want to take on more horses. Also my youngster is nervous so he's not going to be easy to start of with. So I need someone who is experienced and patient. Any recommendations greatly recieved, I'm GU8. TIA.

Tash88

Visit site
Maybe try posting on the Surrey Horse & Pony Facebook page? I am in Surrey but the other side from you and so I don't think you're in the right area for my farrier, but I'm sure someone on there will be able to recommend one.

acorn92x

Visit site
I would second Surrey Horse and Pony. My farrier is fab, but I am also the complete opposite side of the county to you so don't know if mine would go that far.

I.M.N.

Visit site
Thank you, that was my first thought, I keep trying to join the group but I never get accepted so I've now messaged the person that runs it. I think it's because I only have Facebook for these sort of things so my page is blank.

I've gone through the forms for recommendations but they're all quite old and things can change so I was hoping for more recent recommendations.

Shay

Visit site
Dave Howell in Claygate? He is a training farrier and seems very well thought of in the FRC. He - or one of his team - have shod all ours for years. (Don't be put off by the fact he has apprentices - they do not touch the horses unless you give permission.) He's also a very good remedial farrier - although I know you are not looking for that specifically!

I.M.N.

Visit site
Thank you for the recommendations, I still haven't been accepted into the Surrey Horse & Pony fb group, so this is my only source of help. I'm very wary of new young farriers after seeing some of their work, and the fact I know a vet at Liphook vets wrote to one of the main farrier schools to ask why they were teaching such a bad way of shoeing as standard, ie low heels and long toes.

Archangel

Visit site
I use Jonny McGrail - I am sure he comes out your way. My mare has one tricky foot and he has improved it no end. He is very good with the horses too and turns up on time. Will pm you his number.

Tash88

Visit site
I use Jonny McGrail - I am sure he comes out your way. My mare has one tricky foot and he has improved it no end. He is very good with the horses too and turns up on time. Will pm you his number.

I'd recommend Jonny, he trained with Dave Howell and is very good and reliable. He is friends with my farrier and came out to replace a lost shoe on my horse when he was on holiday which was great!

millikins

Visit site
Another vote for Dan Hewer who's been shoeing my lot for about 10 years. If you pm me I'll give you his number though think he's away this weekend.