In need of a new skull cap! Recommendations!

Stenners

Visit site
I haven't used my Skull Cap in years as I've got my Champion fixed peak hat that I use every day but I soon will need a skull cap for cross country etc and mine is out of date.

It's been years since I've bought a skull cap so what would you all recommend?

Skib

sites.google.com
I wear a Gatehouse SH1 with Snell level protection. Now made by Champion, I think. But if you search this forum, I think you may find there is a newer type of hat with possibly even greater protection.
It isnt the skull cap shape that gives protection, it is the various safety levels and testing carried out on the hats. If you look at the requirements for eventing you should find the details of what is approved. And once you choose the level for eventing, you look for the brand that suits your head shape. OH wore Charles Owen, I wear the HS1.

I have always been a bit obsessed with safety, since it was the risk of death which meant that I didnt start riding till I was over 60 and my children grown up.
But if you have had your Champion for years, it probably needs replacing. A hat will start to deteriorate after 4 years.

Annagain

Visit site
If your Champion hat fits, the chances are a Champion skull cap will fit too and the best hat is one that fits. Champion suits my head shape and the Gatehouse I tried was an awful fit - too round for my obviously oval head. It had gaps at the side but was really tight front to back.

Stenners

Visit site
If your Champion hat fits, the chances are a Champion skull cap will fit too and the best hat is one that fits. Champion suits my head shape and the Gatehouse I tried was an awful fit - too round for my obviously oval head. It had gaps at the side but was really tight front to back.
Yes both my hats are Champions and I really like them but maybe i'll go and try some on and maybe just get a newer version of mine!

LegOn

Visit site
I have a Charles Owen Pro 11 plus with the removable liner & its really worth it to be able to keep your skull cap smelling like death after a while!

A friend just got the Charles Owen 4 star though - woah, seriously comfortable and the safety creditantials are amazing! I would be very tempted to change!

teddy_

Visit site
I am also in the market for a skull cap and so far, I am torn between the Charles Owen Pro II Plus or, a Gatehouse HS1 as I have a round head.

Head shape is definitely something to consider. Charles Owen do standard (oval) shaped shells and 'round fit' shells. You probably can't go wrong going to a local tack shop and having one fitted if you're unsure.

Leaning towards the Charles Owen as I have had an HS1 before :).

AFB

Visit site
I have a CO 4star and it's the most comfortable hat I've ever had - they do a round fit in addition to their original oval now so there's a good chance of finding one to fit.

I was in Champion before and I'm in CO round now.