In need of ideas / advice

Chelle33

New User
Visit site
My niece is currently studying Equine Studies in Northamptonshire. In order to pass her course, she needs to complete 100 hours of work experience in stables / livery yards, etc. which she is struggling to find. Many places won't accept her because of having to have extra insurances and the places she's worked before, she can't use again. I was wondering if there were any places people could recommend for students in this position, as she is now likely to fail her course because she can't find a placement? She is Northamptonshire based but could come and stay with me in Hampshire if she could find somewhere. All ideas / advice welcome!

Sealine

Visit site
sorry I don't know of any yards but how about volunteering at the RDA? Or would helping at Pony Club or a Riding Club count towards her course?

Rowreach

👀
Visit site
Whereabouts in Hampshire are you (it's quite big!).

I used to regularly take WE students but it became a total nightmare tbh, so I'm not surprised students find it difficult. The last one I agreed to take was followed up by a directive from her college supervisor that I gave her 12 weeks' full time hours with a lesson every day and some other unrealistic demands, so I said nope sorry can't have her, and never offered again.

Midlifecrisis

Visit site
The colleges are being lazy…most colleges and universities forge links with the industries they are training the students for and place them..if they are taking government money to run a course they need to make much more of an effort otherwise contact the local education dept for advice.

ihatework

Visit site
The colleges are being lazy…most colleges and universities forge links with the industries they are training the students for and place them..if they are taking government money to run a course they need to make much more of an effort otherwise contact the local education dept for advice.

Agree, I’m surprised the college isn’t supporting sourcing work experience.

How is she approaching yards? First impressions count for a lot so if you aren’t already, just oversee their approach strategy!

How old is your niece? What about doing a live in stint - 2-3 weeks would get the hours done.

teapot

Visit site
Ah the joys - used to deal with so many enquries about college or uni based work experience. Many many educational establishments leave it to the students these days, but yet still request that the placemen ticks all their boxes before signing off.

Depending on where you are in Hants, if you're Reading way - Wellington would be worth an ask. If you're Portsmouth way, try Lavant Equestrian

Slightlyconfused

Go away, I'm reading
Visit site
If she can get to North Buckinghamshire, the Devils Horsemen in Mursley maybe able to help. They have in the past, but I’m not up to date to know if they still do.

I would not recommend them. You can PM for reasons why.

Would the Horse Trust be an option?

How far out from her college can she travel? Can you give a post code of the college and range etc?

Wishfilly

Visit site
I agree that if the college are offering this course, they ought to have work placements lined up for their students if the work experience is required.

If she's able to do it as one block, then is it worth looking at places that may offer her accommodation alongside or similar? When does she need to get the experience done by?

Spottyappy

Visit site
18, 2010Messages10,853
If she can get to North Buckinghamshire, the Devils Horsemen in Mursley maybe able to help. They have in the past, but I’m not up to date to know if they still do.

I would not recommend them. You can PM for reasons why.

Would the Horse Trust be an option?

How far out from her college can she travel? Can you give a post code of the college and range etc?

my daughter worked at the DH and all was fine SC. Whereas the other one you mention is less good, imho….