In need of some good horsie books

ozpoz

Visit site
The Lost War horses of Cairo by Grant Hayler Menzies is a really good read, and a donation goes to the Brooke too when you buy a copy.

Reactions: DD

HashRouge

Visit site
I haven't read it for a while, but I remember enjoying the Pullein-Thompsons' autobiography - Fair Girls and Grey Horses.
I have a copy of this. If anyone would like to read it I will send it to you for free - this is how I received it (from someone in an FB group) so I'd love to pay it forward, as it were. Just drop me a PM if anyone's interested :)

Snowfilly

Visit site
My all time favourite book of any genre is The Silver Brumby. It's recently been reprinted and there's plenty of old copies on ebay. The life story of a cream brumby colt in the High Country of Australia, very like Black Beauty.

There's a whole series that follows his foals and grand foals.

Reacher

Visit site
Did you realise that K M Peyton eventually wrote a fourth book in the Flambards series, "Flambards Divided"? Ties up all the agonising loose ends..
Ooh no I didnt. Read the first 3 as a teenager.

The Lost War horses of Cairo by Grant Hayler Menzies is a really good read, and a donation goes to the Brooke too when you buy a copy.
Is it not a bit of a harrowing read? I couldn't even finish watching the film war horse....

timbobs

Visit site
My all time favourite book of any genre is The Silver Brumby. It's recently been reprinted and there's plenty of old copies on ebay. The life story of a cream brumby colt in the High Country of Australia, very like Black Beauty.

There's a whole series that follows his foals and grand foals.

I love so many of the recommendations on this thread, but I LOVE these books :)

paddy555

Visit site
Ooh no I didnt. Read the first 3 as a teenager.

Is it not a bit of a harrowing read? I couldn't even finish watching the film war horse....

if that is the one about Dorothy Brooke and the setting up of the charity then yes it is. However it wasn't exactly a very happy time for some of these horses.

cindars

Visit site
There is also another book by Tschiffely called Bridle Paths he rode from the South of England to Scotland an interesting read.

Snowfilly

Visit site
That Long Riders Guild site has cost me a fortune in travel books! I have about 30 of their books. 40 million Hoofbeats about riding through America and A Journey to Freedom about riding through India and Parkistan in the late 40s are my favourites, but I love all the historical ones - so much political intrigue and great insights into other countries and times.

Also have a sketch from there of Tschiffley and Manchu's ghosts standing on Mars watching as horses and riders in spacesuits walk away from a spaceship. It's weirdly beautiful.

neddy man

Visit site
Years ago i had a couple of books by Harvey Smith and one by David Broome and wanted the Ted Edgar one but never got it,if s/j is your thing find them on Amazon (think i might buy them again.) Just look your favourite equestrian people up and see what books they have done. Totally of track i enjoy picking up my Veterinary notes for horse owners by M Horace Hayes and refreshing my very old brain.

Accidental Eventer

Visit site
In the Middle are the Horsemen - Tik Manyard... So interesting and thought stimulating!

The Perfect Horse - Elizabeth Letts... Hitlers quest to create the perfect horse. It's written so well and very interesting and informative

The Eighty Dollar Horse - Snowman, the horse that inspired a nation - Elizabeth Letts. Also a great read, he was an incredible horse

molar roller

Visit site
Thanks for all posts, perfect thread. As an ex TB person my favorites

Frederico Tesio - Breeding the Racehorse (little bit old school but I like it, Tesio is breeder of legendery unbeaten ''Nearco'')
Jeremy James - The Byerley Turk