In or Out..

RunToEarth

Visit site
Hmm mare tells me when it is too cold for her to winter out, coloured is far too neige after September to "brave" peak districts mean winds, the cob WILL NOT be stabled and big lad is far too big for a stable.
smile.gif

Tufty

Visit site
In when its horrid and out when the sun comes out and it is dry - in other words babysit all day ! No seriously depends on your horse and the state of the padock

Santa_Claus

www.katiemortimore.com
Well Dan is always waiting at the gate to come in from about September onwards so he comes in over night! During the winter he doesn't so seemingly prefers to be out
wink.gif

Fleur is very similar but equally I know horses who would be out/in all the time if you let them!!

Nic

Visit site
Mine can't get out quick enough at 6am or in quick enough at tea time in the winter, in the summer I'm lucky to catch them!
crazy.gif

mrdarcy

www.rockcrunchers.co.uk
My arab hates the rain... absolutely detests it and will plant his hooves and refuse to move if I try to turn him out in the wet. If he's out and it starts raining he'll hover by the gate until we relent and let him in. Loves being out in the sunshine and the mud though - no horse I've ever met does such a great job at rolling in the muddiest corner and smearing the horrible icky stuff everywhere
smile.gif

the watcher

Visit site
It is probably habit, but the two big warmbloods at the yard tonight decided it was tea time, hopped over their gate and cantered down to the stable yard and put themselves to bed. At that moment I was very glad that there was nobody there with small children as they would have been mown flat in the rush.

I am under no illusions, mine know a stable means a squashy bed, ad lib hay and dinner so they are quite keen - sadly I can't replicate those conditons in the field

madgirl

Visit site
Major hates the cold! he seems to love being tcked uoin his stable he does enjoy being out but not when its too cold he just stands there feeling sorry for himself. He always seems more than happy to come in but he enjoys being out in the summer!

metalmare

Visit site
I don't have a horse at the moment but the mare I had on loan couldn't stand to be in a stable - the only time I ever put her in one was for box rest. And the same for my colt - he had to go in once for training purposes but apart from that lived out, able to stretch his legs as any baby should!

Malibu

Visit site
My boys can neevr wait to get in, as soon as i come back from school and they hear the garage opening and the car in the drive - RU is neighing and prancing about! both in but RU will be out during good night in summer/autumn

Weezy

Visit site
Yes but they may be associating you with FOOOOOOOOD!

Chico - IN IN IN - he doesnt particularly like being out

Splodge - HATED being out more than 6 hours - started to get VERY stressy

Boss LOVES being out but is no fool - I went down at 2-15 today and the weather was closing in on the horizon - he was stood next to the gate and looked at me as if to say "phew, timed that well so you did" hehe!!

SecretSquirrell379

Visit site
Out without a doubt, my mare waits at the gate for me to come down in the evening but she is only waiting for her dinner. As soon as i set foot in the field she trots off to her shelter to wait for her food. I had her on box rest over the weekend or should I say I managed to keep her in for 24 hours before I HAD to let her out as she was going totally mental and was going to hurt herself if she didn't get out. Despite having 3 acp's too
grin.gif

poggio

Visit site
Mine are only out for a few hours in the afternoon after being ridden and to be honest they're always wanting to come in after a few hours... if I leave them out longer they're never too happy.

Whether this means they'd rather be in or its just a matter of normal routine for them I dont know ??

Skhosu

Visit site
I would say routine. Mine 'want' to come in if I bring them in as routine, but they never 'want' to come in if they know they're staying out.
Of course, they do like their dinners!

ecrozier

Visit site
My mare and OH's mare are more than happy to stay out, but my arab hates rain...like the one above! He will stand by the gate shivering even after they have all had their dinners, so he comes in at night in the winter. Summer they all prefer to be out 24/7!

Dogbetty141

Visit site
My Tb loves to be out in the summer apart from when they flies are bad as he has sarcoids which they like to eat. He does have a tendancy to wait by the gate when it is too hot thought. Hes a bit mard being a TB and does like a lot of attention lol.

He does like to go out in winter but unfortuanatley we have very limited winter turnout. 1 Hr a week as the fields are very boggy and horrible.

I would prefer to have him out 24/7 summer but in at night in winter.

Sparklet

Visit site
My two are out during the day but if it rains they wait at the gate hoping to come in early.

When you bring them on on a bleak day, windy, raining, snowing etc - dry them, put their pyjamas on and put them in a nice clean dry stable. They look so snug.

filly190

Visit site
During the nice weather my horses are out, given the chance they would gladly come in at night.

In the winter months when its mild, I try to keep them out as long as possible, so feed them in the field. They still stand by the gate asking to come in.

When they do start coming in at night, they start to stand by the gate two hours before its time. I bring them in, at the same time everyday and all hell breaks out if I am late.

It cant be because they are hungrey, they have ample grazing, hay etc. I know they all lay down in their stables and when they are turned out, rarely do they lay down.

piaffe

Visit site
My 3 are all kept out 24/7. cant be doing with this in out business!!!
grin.gif

None of them stand at the gate or show any signs of wanting to come in which suits me.
grin.gif

Tempi

Visit site
Bloss couldnt care where she was as long as she has something to eat! Archie is always ready to come in when i catch him, so i guess he likes the best of both worlds!

riotgirl

Visit site
My old girl perefers to be out as she stiffens up if she stays in the stable for any length of time. I now leave th stable door open at night so she can wander in and out.

I have turned my Welshie very neche! When I got her she had never been in a stable but now she likes to come in every evening. I feed her about 6pm and after she has finished eating she stands by the gate until I bring her in for the night. She is the same summer and winter!

clipclop

Visit site
My boy prefers out. He has done the stabling thing but it just makes him stressy, his immunity drops and then he is poorly.
Since leaving him out 24/7 he is a much healthier chap.

My old horse used to stand at the gate neighing if it started to rain too much, but then he would get in his stable and be neighing to go out again. Spoilt brat? Hmmm, yeah, probably!! LOL.

I do feel with most horses it is the routine of coming in that they like rather than the being in. JMHO
cool.gif

amandaco2

Visit site
out.all my 3 likes to be out provided they have grazing or hay and arent stood in mud.
she likes her tea but if the door wasnt closed once shed finished the hard feed she would be off out again!lol.

MagicMelon

Visit site
I think ALL horses would prefer to be out. I know some on here will say "Oh but when I put mine out, he stands at the gate looking miserable until I take him in". Rubbish! Thats probably just because he knows when he comes in he gets fed. Horses are routine animals so might look like they want to come in. If stabled horses were turned out 24/7 (as they should be) for say a month then they'd be used to it.

I firmly believe horses should be out. Sure, I bring mine in sometimes like if I have a show early the next day or for vet reasons but otherwise mine live out (including a TB x, anglo arabs, WB etc.). I do think there are some cases where horses MAY be 'happier' in, being race horses who I believe dont get any turnout during their racing years so I guess they've never known anything else and a stable is their 'safe' place.