In or Out..

x_Hannah_x

Visit site
Its really interesting to see that some horses do actually prefer being in.

A "friend" of mine is under the opinion all horses should live out. She got her TB mare in May, all through the summer it lived out fine. However, had a phonecall from YO saying it was stood in field in torrential rain, lightweight rug, on her own and looking miserable as sin. Tried to explain to said friend that horse needs to come IN, she is always so lethargic when ridden and just not happy being out. Dont get me wrong, she is looked fter really well, but friend is just too stubborn to admit that her horse should be stabled overnight.

If a horse can live out, im all for it, all of mine have and probably always will (i tend to go for the native type of horse) just wish that friend could see that TB's really arent built to winter out
frown.gif

Thanks for all replies guys, good to see a range of opinions!
laugh.gif
x

Enfys

Visit site
I have always had to have horses in from November through to May because of yard rules.
Now, I have every intention of having my three live out, they have heated water troughs, a run in shed and half a forest to find shelter in. I actually have no idea what winter here will be like, but if they want to come in or look mis then I will but not on a full term basis. Just for once I can make up my own rules as I go along.
smile.gif

TGM

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
just wish that friend could see that TB's really arent built to winter out :

[/ QUOTE ] Well I actually know a lot of TBs that do winter out really well! My old mare is 7/8TB and she is actually the one that hates being in!

I think your friend's TB probably could live out happily if she was suitably rugged, in a field with good shelter, fed lots of good quality hay or haylage and, most importantly, with company rather than being on her own.

However, if your friend cannot supply those things then you are right that she is best to bring it in at nights.