In praise of the older horse (also minor rant)

sjp1

Visit site
I agree - having bought a four year old three years ago!!! We are starting to turn the corner now (hopefully) but he has been a nightmare and I agree, really I should have bought an older horse. Still, have him now and won't be parting with him!

Tharg

Visit site
Older horses can be great if you know their history but if you don't it is an extra risk particularly if you want the horse for a number of years aka not just until an up grade.

Wundahorse

Visit site
When I was 16 I lost all my confidence with my first horse (wrongly sold as a novice ride perfect 1st horse) and got my mare, Izzi, who was also 16. She is my horse of a life time and is with me for life! She is my soul mate and I feel I owe her the world for what's she's done for me from helping me love riding again to protecting me when I was with my violent ex bf to being there for a shoulder to cry on when I was at my lowest. Though I wish someone would tell her she's 21 now and not 5!!! It was just the other day I was clinging on for dear life as she galloped across the moor full pelt whilst bucking!! She celebrated her 20th birthday last year by spooking at some invisible thing, ditching me on the floor and galloping off into the distance :rolleyes:
Izzwall-1.jpg

Izzi.jpg

Izz.jpg

meandiss.jpg

Hoping my photos will work, first time I've attempted to attach pictures :D
Your Izzi looks the image of my 14.1 section D mare,who herself is just on 17 years.Izzi looks lovely.

rascal

Visit site
Older horses are often great, and it would always be my advice to get an older first horse/pony. However horses being hoses dont always agree! we had a pony on loan for our girls, he was 9 then and had done all sorts, jumping, showing, dressage with his owner. He was too much of a handfull for our girls then. We wanted somthing we could teach them on. We bought a 4 year old ride and drive shetland and he was worth his weight in gold! He taught them everything and was more than happy to stand all day being brushed or anything else they fancied doing with him. He is out on loan now teaching two more little girls the joy of a good pony.

The_snoopster

Visit site
I bought my mare at the age of 16, originally advertised as a rising 13yr old. Even though I knew she was older than the add I fell in love, I tried her in an almost gale force wind with lashing rain. She was perfect for me, forward going but with brakes and that extra gear a novice wants when they are ready for it.
I have owned her now for over 7 years, she has given me so many good memories and I hope many more to come. She has given me a mini me when she had her filly foal, and even now at the age of 23 we still do the same as when I first bought her. She is my once in a lifetime horse and she has her forever home with me, she will retire out in the paddock with her daughter when the time comes.