In praise of the riding school and the riding school horse

Tiddlypom

Carries on creakily
Visit site
Operation Get Back On Board has moved on to the practical phase :).

Before I get back on my own wonky mare, who has been pronounced ok to go by both my regular vet and my chiro vet, I was very keen to get some refresher lessons. I want to be as balanced and as light in the saddle as possible, with extra stickability, just in case.

I had a really useful and enjoyable 1:1 session on the lovely Tulip today. First time riding for me in two years. The instructor took account of my riding history and took great care to help me get the basics right. I don't want to be doing any fancy twiddly stuff before my basic position and feel is back. Tulip was a very helpful teacher too, and responded nicely when I got things right. Just walk and trot today, inc work without stirrups.

It's lovely to be back!

This is Tulip. What a lovely person. She's only small, less than 15hh I should think, but she rides bigger and has a good long stride. I was beaming from ear to ear.

9C35EA53-D60B-4553-8270-E34E7759FE0C.jpeg

E21CEF6A-3589-4305-B3CB-E285F5D62143.jpeg

I've got another three 1:1 lessons booked, then we'll see what next.

We need to keep these good riding schools going. So many have closed in recent years.

Iznurgle

Visit site
Riding school ponies are worth their absolute weight in gold! We have some that have such breadth of use, from endless patience with screaming special needs children to doing a course of 80cm jumps with more advanced riders, in the same day! They work so hard and put smiles on faces and inspire a love of the animal and sport. I have endless appreciation for every riding school pony I've ever ridden and use in our lessons. We make sure every lesson ends with a hug from riders, pats from instructors, and a treat to keep them sweet. They give so much, I love getting to know them (and their tricks!). I'm delighted Tulip took such good care of you.

SparklerStar

Visit site
That sounds wonderful, really heartening, and she looks lovely. It is such a shame it's getting more and more difficult to keep riding schools viable. I'm thinking of starting again after retiring my boy a few years ago and am drawing a bit of a blank near me.

I also had a lot of trouble getting lessons as they were fully booked, as were lots around me - keep trying. I said this is the most important thing in the world to me so I just had to make it work!

Burnttoast

Visit site
I also had a lot of trouble getting lessons as they were fully booked, as were lots around me - keep trying. I said this is the most important thing in the world to me so I just had to make it work!
It's more that most of the good schools that were near me have shut. I think I may have to look further afield. Or move :eek:

Reacher

Visit site
Glad you had a good time. Tulip looks lovely. How did your balance feel having not ridden for some time?

Tiddlypom

Carries on creakily
Visit site
Glad you had a good time. Tulip looks lovely. How did your balance feel having not ridden for some time?
It was coming back quickly, but I'm so glad that I was riding under good tuition rather than winging it on my own at home.

Chris (the instructor) homed in on my naughty habits - round shoulders, tipping forwards, right leg wanting to draw up and back - and kept getting me to correct them. She got me sitting on my seatbones. I was really getting the feel back by the time I ran out of puff near the end of the lesson.

I've never been a naturally talented rider, but by grafting away I've ridden quite decently in the past.

babymare

Visit site
I love Tulips faca?. A few years ago I had lessons 1to1. I went thinking’ trudging round’ but hell no. Amazing lessons. Ask him wrong he was “feck off” ask him right it was amazing. I learnt so much from that aged man after many years of being in the saddle

Flying_Form

Visit site

Before I get back on my own wonky mare, who has been pronounced ok to go by both my regular vet and my chiro vet, I was very keen to get some refresher lessons. I want to be as balanced and as light in the saddle as possible, with extra stickability, just in case.

I had a really useful and enjoyable 1:1 session on the lovely Tulip today. First time riding for me in two years. The instructor took account of my riding history and took great care to help me get the basics right. I don't want to be doing any fancy twiddly stuff before my basic position and feel is back. Tulip was a very helpful teacher too, and responded nicely when I got things right. Just walk and trot today, inc work without stirrups.

It's lovely to be back!

This is Tulip. What a lovely person. She's only small, less than 15hh I should think, but she rides bigger and has a good long stride. I was beaming from ear to ear.

View attachment 87305

View attachment 87306

We need to keep these good riding schools going. So many have closed in recent years.

Tulip looks so sweet! Riding school ponies are the absolute best. They’ll do anything for you (most of the time ?), have the patience of a saint and such confidence givers just because they can, and if they don’t want to they absolutely don’t have to but they just do it for you❤️
What was your prior riding experience before taking your break and did you find it came back to you quickly? Obviously balance and position might need some brushing up but everything else?

mariew

Visit site
I'm confined to riding schools atm, and I now go a couple of times per week. I'm so lucky they don't cost an arm and a leg. Some horses are unschooled, but I enjoy working with them to help them. Some horses are schooled, I jumped for the first time in donkeys years this week! But all are safe and put up with so many different people.

Even though they might not all be perfectly schooled, I find I learn from them all, even the little cob who is maybe your typical riding school pony. It's good to ride different horses.

Rumtytum

Have Marmite, will travel
Visit site
Really pleased that Operation GBOB has got off to such a great start! Tulip is beautiful ?.
I love my RS. The staff are warm and friendly (I’ve got to know them well over four years there) and they all care deeply for the horses and ponies.
I rode many before eventually settling on ‘my’ gelding, and with ‘my’ instructor we are a little gang. She and he have taught me everything, I am beyond grateful to them and the school.

ycbm

Einstein would be proud of my Insanity...
Visit site
I've never been a naturally talented rider, but by grafting away I've ridden quite decently in the past.

You're definitely underselling yourself there, you were more than decent at dressage in the past and you hunted. Given that, I think it's really great that you recognised that you might be rusty and wanted to do the best thing for your mare and went off for some lessons. And really great to read your happy report (and see Tulip :) ).

AShetlandBitMeOnce

Visit site
I love this, and what a great idea. Riding school ponies are worth their weight in gold.
When I was about 5 I used to ride a little shetland who's name escapes me but who were told, was about 35yo+. I used to ride him for half of the walk hack and then insist on getting off and walking with him and leading for the other half as I would feel sorry for him - he was an absolute diamond though!

Tiddlypom

Carries on creakily
Visit site
What was your prior riding experience before taking your break and did you find it came back to you quickly? Obviously balance and position might need some brushing up but everything else?
I’ve owned my own horses and ridden a lot in the past. I’ve competed at affiliated dressage to Medium level, and at Riding Club level in everything including horse trials and teams. I’ve also hunted a fair bit, inc crossing Dartmoor at speed. I’ve had lots and lots of tuition, too. I'm a lot older now, though, I'm 63.

I’m quite a lazy relaxed rider, and have in the past got on well with sensitive, whizzy types. However, I’m no longer brave enough to ride that type of horse! My own wonky mare is not unwilling, she’s a lovely mare, but she is a tad on the lazy side. I definitely need help to be able to ride her quietly and effectively after her long lay off without excessively pushing and shoving her with my seat and legs.

I was warned that Tulip is very sensitive in the mouth, but that held no fears for me as I’m not really a rider who tries to fix the contact, so that part came much more easily to me. Chris had me doing transitions using just my seat.

It all came flooding back, but I’ll need a few more sessions for it to become second nature. A 45 minute 1:1 session cost £45, which I thought was incredibly good value for money.

I am feeling it all in my legs today, mind :D.

Tiddlypom

Carries on creakily
Visit site
Four x 45 mins private lessons in on the lovely Tulip, and I'm appreciating even more the expert tuition in building my seat and confidence back up :). The riding centre also offers hacks out from the yard to nearby Delamere Forest, and in preparation for going out on one soon, today I've been riding in two point in trot and canter in the arena.

The emphasis is always on getting the basics right, and I'm loving getting 'the feel' back. I'm going to be much better placed to help my own wonky mare when I get back on her.

This is a shout out for the Riding Centre that I'm going to, for anyone looking for somewhere decent to ride in Cheshire.

http://www.willingtonriding.co.uk/

teapot

Visit site
Four x 45 mins private lessons in on the lovely Tulip, and I'm appreciating even more the expert tuition in building my seat and confidence back up :). The riding centre also offers hacks out from the yard to nearby Delamere Forest, and in preparation for going out on one soon, today I've been riding in two point in trot and canter in the arena.

The emphasis is always on getting the basics right, and I'm loving getting 'the feel' back. I'm going to be much better placed to help my own wonky mare when I get back on her.

This is a shout out for the Riding Centre that I'm going to, for anyone looking for somewhere decent to ride in Cheshire.

http://www.willingtonriding.co.uk/

Sounds great TP, as are the prices!

Last edited:

SEL

Visit site
I find it's those thigh muscles that scream after time off!! I did some refresher lessons pre covid when my mare was on a prolonged layoff and really enjoyed them. Muscle memory came back quickly and it was fun riding different horses - don't get me on 17h very often!

Mule

Visit site

It's lovely to be back!

View attachment 87305

View attachment 87306

Well done you, well done Tulip too ?

Tiddlypom

Carries on creakily
Visit site
I find it's those thigh muscles that scream after time off!! I did some refresher lessons pre covid when my mare was on a prolonged layoff and really enjoyed them. Muscle memory came back quickly and it was fun riding different horses - don't get me on 17h very often!
My inside thigh muscles are screaming morning :D.

It was a super helpful session yesterday setting me back up to go out confidently on a group hack. It's been a long while since I've ridden in a group in wtc, as I usually hack out alone. I finished the session on a 20m circle in a lovely active and soft working trot, which left me beaming, but when I halted at the end to get off I sat in the saddle for a bit wondering if my legs had the energy left for me to dismount! Yes, they did, but only just...:D!

SEL

Visit site
My inside thigh muscles are screaming morning :D.

It was a super helpful session yesterday setting me back up to go out confidently on a group hack. It's been a long while since I've ridden in a group in wtc, as I usually hack out alone. I finished the session on a 20m circle in a lovely active and soft working trot, which left me beaming, but when I halted at the end to get off I sat in the saddle for a bit wondering if my legs had the energy left for me to dismount! Yes, they did, but only just...:D!
:D

Its lovely when it all starts to come together and you feel your confidence returning. I'm thinking with my broken mob I might try and get back into the swing of lessons again this summer. I've always been OK with dismounting after time off, but not so much the staying up right when my legs hit the ground!!

Sprogladite01

Visit site
Love this post, I am in exactly the same position as you - my boy has had surgery last august and ongoing lameness issues since then, and I've just started riding at a riding school (despite having two at home!) to get my riding muscles and balance back. I had my first lesson last Tuesday and the horse was a superstar. Crunched my ankles dismounting though coz she was about 2 hands bigger than my little 14.1 connie haha!! Lovely being back in the saddle and being able to trust the horse/instructor to look after you when you're not at your best! :)