In search of the perfect gloves...

Boulty

Visit site
Hi, bit of a random one but I can no longer find my most favourite gloves in stock & I think they've stopped being made :( They appear to be in stock on the website in other countries but it won't let me order from overseas. They're the Decathlon Kipwarm ones & they're basically a really soft water-resistant synthetic suede-type material on the palms & fingers with slightly stretchy windproof material on the backs & thin fleece lining. They're nice & close fitting, stretchy & grippy & keep your hands fairly warm as long as it's not icey & it's not peeing it down. Anyway I wondered if anyone knew of anything vaguely similar I could replace them with when they die? I need them to go down to XS size (glove size 6 / 6.5) as I have really short fingers. I find full suede ones far too stiff. I'm basically wanting something with a similar grip to SSG gloves but with a durable, windproof / water resistant back & thin fleece lining (but not very thick & preferably not thinsulate as I hate the feel of it).

Bit of a weird thing to ask but figured it was worth a go

Visit site
OP if you like the feel of SSG gloves have you tried Roekl? I have both and I find they’re the most comfy of all brands and I’ve never had a problem getting the Roekl’s wet, stayed comfy, hands not wet and still grippy.

Boulty

Visit site
I have tried Roekl & I do like them but the ones I’ve tried are more of a lightweight summer glove & not as hard wearing. What model have you guys got that’s a bit more substantial?

Will look into woof wear... feel like I’ve tried Macwet before & absolutely hated them

Squeak

Visit site
I usually have lightweight SSG ones but a friend gave me some WW Macwet climatec and I really like them too. I have small hands as well and they fit well.

Elno

Visit site

Annagain

Visit site
I had some Mark Todd ones that sound similar although the palm side was a sort of grippy vinyl rather than suede. They were very comfy and lasted a fair while before wearing out. I then replaced them with the Mark Todd leather gloves as I needed leather ones for showing and didn't want to buy two pairs. They were brilliant, my favourite riding gloves ever. Really comfy and lasted years before finally dying on me. When I tried to replace them, I accidentally bought Mark Todd thinsulate leather gloves and I love them too. I know you said you don't like thinsulate, but these don't feel like normal thinsulate, they're more of a fleece lined leather. I think they'll be bit warm for the summer (if we ever get one) so i'm going to buy another pair of the plain leather ones and keep them for the summer.

I've also bought some very cheap Rhinegold ones in the past that were all fake suede and although they didn't last a very long time, they were good value for the price (less than a fiver) and lasted about a years before all the suede effect wore off - they were still useable, they just looked tatty.

VioletStripe

Visit site
I am in the exact same boat as you OP and have found Woof Wear to be the best - for some reason I have never gotten on with Roekl.

I also love some of the La Martina gloves but they are very pricey if memory serves! More fool me, I also accidentally tumble dried one which lead to its obvious demise...

Dave's Mam

Visit site
Hi, bit of a random one but I can no longer find my most favourite gloves in stock & I think they've stopped being made :( They appear to be in stock on the website in other countries but it won't let me order from overseas. They're the Decathlon Kipwarm ones & they're basically a really soft water-resistant synthetic suede-type material on the palms & fingers with slightly stretchy windproof material on the backs & thin fleece lining. They're nice & close fitting, stretchy & grippy & keep your hands fairly warm as long as it's not icey & it's not peeing it down. Anyway I wondered if anyone knew of anything vaguely similar I could replace them with when they die? I need them to go down to XS size (glove size 6 / 6.5) as I have really short fingers. I find full suede ones far too stiff. I'm basically wanting something with a similar grip to SSG gloves but with a durable, windproof / water resistant back & thin fleece lining (but not very thick & preferably not thinsulate as I hate the feel of it).

Bit of a weird thing to ask but figured it was worth a go

I love these gloves too & mine are starting to die, so reading up on options!

Boulty

Visit site
Thanks for the replies, nice to know I'm not alone in my despair at these being discontinued.

I've banned myself from any more of the Mark Todd gloves with the fleece (although they don't fit anywhere near ax well anyway) they die FAR too easily if you get them wet & muddy (if the lining ends up the wrong way out taking them off in the wet, which seems far too easy to do they've had it!)

Will see if I can find a website with most of the suggestions in stock so I can order some to try.