In shock,Nearly lost my dog just now choking on bone

SaharaS

Visit site
Hi quick advice needed please as I'm sure many of you will have been here.Will be brief so not being short, I feel as tho the blood has drained from me & I'm still in massive shock so apologies for stupidness as & when it occurs, he means the world to me:)

White Shepherd happily gnawing a raw beef knuckle bone had got to the last bit but he's usually very careful -was right beside me. He suddenly started hitting his head against the wall & thrashing about, so I knew it was stuck. the last time i saw it was about three fingers size..I do have very petite small hands tho. I felt in his mouth, nothing, pushed hand further in touched edge of bone.couldn't grab, he was starting to bubble at mouth, eyes scared & fixed,couldn't swallow or bring up. I tried the heimlich manoeuvre on him, then checked mouth & throat.he cried but didn't resist kept holding his head to me to try again.

I was in panic, tried to pour some olive oil down to help make him sick or get it to slide one hand on phone to vet all lines busy tried again with hand down throat & more heimlich when I felt sick, dizzy & just about to pass out in shear fear of losing him he coughed and I whacked upwards under ribs & shoved alot of my arm in.

he lurched & then the bone came up, a horrible v shape which he gripped tight between his teeth but let me take it. he's had a few drinks,small,been to have more oil & more drink & went out to garden with him to see but he didn't seem to want to be sick more..vet rang and she thinks I've got it & did the right thing..she was absolutely lovely & will call later.

I'm just panicking now as its hitting home how close this was. i feel so bad & hope I didn't do any damage, but the piece is a huge v shape..the left of the 'V' is 2 inch the right one inch and its about an inch thick.

No blood on the slime or his lips but his paws /pads are very hot & clammy & he's sleeping by me on my bed now..think we are both in huge shock but not once thru any of it did he object to my brutal ramming fingers/hand down. I am scared now incase something happens so I likely will be gibbering away on here all night to stop me sleeping(like I could) Please can anyone share any advice or similar experiences? to those who haven't considered, its well worth looking up the CORRECT way to do cpr/heimlich on a dog...and if anyone wants to post any first aid/emergency tips on here, please feel free..

I am shaking uncontrollably now and keep prodding him to check he's still with me.Poor lad, bloody stupid me for not taking the bone off him sooner:-( Vibes please that he's ok & no horrors lurking inside..lots of gurgles coming from his tum..praying they are good ones

We are together 110% of the time and he means more than the world to me,as some of you will know & has made himself quite a few friends on here too - you'll know what a genuinely lovely rescue boy he is & why I love him so much, he's my true best friend..:eek: Completely out of brandy as I used the last bit to revive a sheep....please have some for me if anyone has any spare.if not face slapes & shakes welcomed

Will try to get a grip & quite waffling now..I'm shaking more than a Rabbit on Redbull

Last edited:

sarahann1

Visit site
Don't have at experience of choke in dogs, but didn't want to read and run.

Well done for acting so promptly, fingers crossed all is well in the morning.

Jingleballs

Visit site
How terrifying for you - it sounds like you handled it well and hopefully there is no damage.

Personally, I never feed bones because I worry about this - my boy had a habit of gulping things down and would be at a high risk of choking so it's not worth the risk!

SaharaS

Visit site
Don't have at experience of choke in dogs, but didn't want to read and run.

Well done for acting so promptly, fingers crossed all is well in the morning.
Thank you..:) nice vet called back & was happy we'll both be ok..realised she was also suggesting I breath in & out & try relax and see if i can copy him - he was having a dream when she rang..probably hunting down the evil bone with a pitch fork!!!I'm still shaking tho a little colour back in my cheeks now xx
Oh poor you, what a nightmare!

Glad you and your dog are ok now!!

Don't know a lot about choke in dogs but after seeing your post I saw this on my agility Facebook page

http://www.theveterinaryexpert.com/info/petlifesavers/

Brilliant link thank you...there are tonnes of things on you tube & google aswell and this link is to a friends first aid courses..http://www.trainingtogether.co.uk leaving it till later may be too late..

had LOTS of cuddles & kisses with him and i'm very surprised he's not head shy now, thank God, I'm so, so glad he's still here to be waggy & hug LOTS!xx

Cinnamontoast

Fais pas chier!
Visit site
So glad he's ok! Poor lamb! You must have been so panicked!

I'm a raw feeder, but I never feed beef bones, I think they're just too big, hard, whatever.

Don't stop raw feeding, just hold onto ones, I can imagine you'll now be very worried, but don't be, it was a freak accident.

SaharaS

Visit site
How terrifying for you - it sounds like you handled it well and hopefully there is no damage.

Personally, I never feed bones because I worry about this - my boy had a habit of gulping things down and would be at a high risk of choking so it's not worth the risk!

Thank you...worryingly I was actually keeping a very close eye despite him being really good & careful & he willingly obeys 'spit' if I hear crunches of bits..this must have simply slipped down - thank God I hadn't nodded off ..I have a fear that he will be posting on here campaining for a new owner soon as current one will have turned into even madder dog lady & will insist on chewing his food for him...69times per mouthful , just like Madonna says you should! I have a freezer full of bones, but very sure they will be donated to rescue for dogs smaller than the bones for nomming under strict supervision only xx

SaharaS

Visit site

I'm a raw feeder, but I never feed beef bones, I think they're just too big, hard, whatever.

Don't stop raw feeding, just hold onto ones, I can imagine you'll now be very worried, but don't be, it was a freak accident.

Thank you CT..yep...yo uknow me well...worrying away merrily! What do you feed for gnawing if not beef? I'm still treading very carefully as only just comfortable with barely any meat on beef knuckles..only touched my first one with hanging flesh yesterday..not good with rabbit as i have a feeling you will suggest that! I'm still learning raw obviously, but luckily :)confused:) he's not fully able to eat raw so a lot of it he has to have cooked or at least seared/sealed as he is quite intollerant...I will persevere but certaint hings he simply doesn't stomach...and others I can't either!;-)

CorvusCorax

Justified & Ancient
Visit site
Glad he's OK!

You could just stick to soft bones like chicken and smash them up beforehand.

We've always fed raw beef bones with no problem but I totally understand why people don't, especially in your situation. I always try to be around/in the near vicinity when they have them though. I do leave a stagbar with the young dog and it has managed to keep him going for ages (he's a crush, crush, swallow type, demolishes most things).

cremedemonthe

Was Caterham on the Hill, Surrey now Wales
Visit site
Ideally when anyone administers the Heimlich maneuver on a dog or human, it is wise to get them checked out asap professionally, we were taught this when in St John ambulance as the spleen can be ruptured if done too hard, a dog's spleen I believe but could be wrong, is larger than a human's and can be damaged.
Keep an eye on him, if his abdomen feels hard or appears to swell, get some help.

SaharaS

Visit site
Glad he's OK!

You could just stick to soft bones like chicken and smash them up beforehand.

We've always fed raw beef bones with no problem but I totally understand why people don't, especially in your situation. I always try to be around/in the near vicinity when they have them though. I do leave a stagbar with the young dog and it has managed to keep him going for ages (he's a crush, crush, swallow type, demolishes most things).
THank you..think I'll be doing the crush crush, spit & then he can swallow from now on!

Ideally when anyone administers the Heimlich maneuver on a dog or human, it is wise to get them checked out asap professionally, we were taught this when in St John ambulance as the spleen can be ruptured if done too hard, a dog's spleen I believe but could be wrong, is larger than a human's and can be damaged.
Keep an eye on him, if his abdomen feels hard or appears to swell, get some help.
Thank you so much for this..vet has rung back & didn't seem worried from what I described..hes slept & dreamt (so deep sleep) and seems ok in himself tho watching him like a hawk-very grateful for this-lots of gurgling coming from tum, no blood earlier or now but still closely watching him..re the gurgling I'm hoping its good - i'm worried still incase the other portion will be troublesome..bones most definitely going to a rescue, I can't go thru that again..I make him home made tartar cruncher biscuits so am afraid it will have to be those in jumbo form for him..he's too precious to me to risk..:eek:

SaharaS

Visit site
I'm sure he'll be fine, Oz

Fingers crossed...I read on fb one lady lost her dog 40 days after the incident, but that was due to megaoesophagus after he ingested some wheat in a field..another nearly lost hers to a blockage from a lambs neck. its quite terrifying how simple things that you see every day can be suddenly life threatening

Blumming nightmare dogs- they do like to worry us- hope he's ok now.....

I think so, thank you..don't they just!!!
only thing thats worrying me now is that he has done a couple of half coughs..like throat clearing ones if you have a hair stuck, he's done one half cough now and a couple last night..he's had some soft milky scrambled eggs this morning and seems ok otherwise,I'm hoping its nothing more than him just feeling slightly sore throatey from last night rather than any more things or any damage. He was very careful eating his breakfast this morning, but careful as in slower & chewing rather than not wanting to from pain, so that hopefully is good..easy gentle day today for him..I expect he will have a sore throat as i was quite invasive and the blockage may have scratched his throat but hopefully nothing deep..breakfast stayed down so far so thats promising..off to stock up on some medicinal brandy for my poor nerves now!Praying I will never need it!

MurphysMinder

Visit site
Glad he is ok, must have been very frightening. I do give mine big knuckle bones but keep a close eye, as shepherds do seem to have an ability to crunch the biggest bone into smaller pieces.
Like CC I sometimes leave mine with stagbars, though Freya managed to bite a chunk off one the other week. I was keeping an eye on it (I thought) as there was a slimmer "offshoot" but it seemed well fixed. Then suddenly it wasn't there any more:(. I thought she had swallowed it but luckily found it in her bed, the smaller pieces have now been handed down to Pickle.:)

SaharaS

Visit site
Glad he is ok, must have been very frightening. I do give mine big knuckle bones but keep a close eye, as shepherds do seem to have an ability to crunch the biggest bone into smaller pieces.
Like CC I sometimes leave mine with stagbars, though Freya managed to bite a chunk off one the other week. I was keeping an eye on it (I thought) as there was a slimmer "offshoot" but it seemed well fixed. Then suddenly it wasn't there any more:(. I thought she had swallowed it but luckily found it in her bed, the smaller pieces have now been handed down to Pickle.:)

I can imagine the panic moment you had there!:eek:hmmm yes they do make light work of bones..Going to find a chihuahua rescue to give these too..or a toothless oldie to lick! He would LOVE stag bars...except I have pygmys so rather keen for him not to get a taste for them..just incase he thinks they now come mobile for easy nomming!At least he couldn't get the goat stuck in his throat..so there is a bonus I guess!:D Will have to find something else for him that safer as ..no sticks..no stones..no bones! A friend of mine who knows full well I don't give any shop treats or anything with raw hide or artificial rubbish,gave him some horrible raw hide coloured cracker shape chews for christmas..made in thailand..I was horrified..but some people just don't get it..not only did they look hideous, they were tiny for his size -nice thought..but seriously ergh ergh ergh:eek:

MurphysMinder

Visit site
I hate rawhide chews, so dangerous. A friend had a similar choking incident with her dog with a rawhide chew. Someone had given her dog a great big one, and she had put it in the boot of her car with him (to humour them) intending to throw it away when she got home. We met up for a walk that same evening, and after walk went for a meal in the pub, leaving the dogs in our cars. When we came out she opened the boot to check her lad, and he was sitting with saliva pouring out of his mouth. She quickly got him out and opened his jaws and a huge chunk of this chew was stuck to the roof of his mouth and partly down his throat. Thank heavens it had stuck otherwise it would have gone further down and it may have been too late by the time we came out. A lesson learned, and I think she beat herself up for a long time for forgetting the damn chew was in the car.:(

SaharaS

Visit site
I hate rawhide chews, so dangerous. A friend had a similar choking incident with her dog with a rawhide chew. Someone had given her dog a great big one, and she had put it in the boot of her car with him (to humour them) intending to throw it away when she got home. We met up for a walk that same evening, and after walk went for a meal in the pub, leaving the dogs in our cars. When we came out she opened the boot to check her lad, and he was sitting with saliva pouring out of his mouth. She quickly got him out and opened his jaws and a huge chunk of this chew was stuck to the roof of his mouth and partly down his throat. Thank heavens it had stuck otherwise it would have gone further down and it may have been too late by the time we came out. A lesson learned, and I think she beat herself up for a long time for forgetting the damn chew was in the car.:(

Bloody hell...(hope i can say that) but feel its justified in the circumstances..that made me shake again just reading it!I can imagine exactly how she was feeling as I'm still feeling awful for giving the bone,just glad he was by my side.Also makes a point of how important it is to do our best with any food possession issues - instilling it as puppy being able to accept you taking food away or with rescues,doing positive reward training so that you can help them.. my boy was amazingly gentle & let me do everything I had to tho I know some dogs that would have been hell on earth to help yet the owners don't do anything to try. it could be something they find on a walk or something given..you have precious little time to act so them being willing patients is half the battle..yet they just laugh it off 7 say keeping the fingers etc..I know its hard to break learnt behaviour, but it is possible in some cases..I better shut up now as i'm shaking again:eek:

Nikki J

Visit site

Wot she said!!

I feed pork rib bones, lamb rib, chicken wings, legs, thighs etc., and will only feed beef bones that would be impossible to swallow or break a piece off such as a large marrow bone. Beef rib bones are good if you can get them.

Nikki J

Visit site
THank you..think I'll be doing the crush crush, spit & then he can swallow from now on!

Thank you so much for this..vet has rung back & didn't seem worried from what I described..hes slept & dreamt (so deep sleep) and seems ok in himself tho watching him like a hawk-very grateful for this-lots of gurgling coming from tum, no blood earlier or now but still closely watching him..re the gurgling I'm hoping its good - i'm worried still incase the other portion will be troublesome..bones most definitely going to a rescue, I can't go thru that again..I make him home made tartar cruncher biscuits so am afraid it will have to be those in jumbo form for him..he's too precious to me to risk..:eek:

Well done you for not panicking!! :)

Cinnamontoast

Fais pas chier!
Visit site
Wot she said!!

I feed pork rib bones, lamb rib, chicken wings, legs, thighs etc., and will only feed beef bones that would be impossible to swallow or break a piece off such as a large marrow bone. Beef rib bones are good if you can get them.

Ha, wot she said except for the breaking bits off, I just don't get big marrow bones. Bear already lost a tooth somehow and he's only rising three! :eek:

Mine liked stag bars when they were pups but not anymore.

Star_Chaser

Visit site
At least you did the right thing and he's ok now, just watch his stools over the next few days they can have some dreadful problems with bones making their way through the system :( Most of the time though they do ok.

I just read your thread on FB before coming on here. No wonder your still shaking I would be too.

SaharaS

Visit site
Thank you Hevs..

CT I'd love to try him on stag bars..but have mobile midget ones in the field and he already eyes their horns up, so reluctant to encourage the un sawn off variety!;-)

At least you did the right thing and he's ok now, just watch his stools over the next few days they can have some dreadful problems with bones making their way through the system :( Most of the time though they do ok.

I just read your thread on FB before coming on here. No wonder your still shaking I would be too.

I've been poking & rolling them with sticks..only found one with a tiny bit of blood, but it was miniscule,maybe the size of the nib tip on a bic biro, if that, but keeping very close eye-thank you for reminding:) He's had lots of poos today so at least I can relax in that he's still 'working'.
Oh no..they didn't make me shake on there..really lovely people!:D